• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Expensive Turkeys

I wouldnt because 1. I can't afford it. 2. I only eat white meat 3. I live in Canada and my spouse and inlaws dont really cares about American Thanksgiving even though I celebrate it. 4. I just paid 39cents a lb with a 10 dollar purchase at kroger in MI and shleped it back over the border. ( regular frozen turkey's are 1.99lb here).

After reading through this topic and other turkey topics here, and reflecting on the insane idiot that paid $125,000 US for that champion bird, I can equivically say that I would pay no more than $1 US a pound for this worthless bird and then I would fry its butt to render it edible. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

(Well, actually, the $125,000 is for the scholarship fund. I have to say that so my fellow Texans don't look like real dopes.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

In the KC media digest, on The Heartland Forum, there's a link to an article about a KS farmer who has been instrumental in bringing back some of the heritage breeds. Since we're talking turkey, I thought you might be interested.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 1 month later...
Well I just ordered a turkey and it cost US$101 for a 11 lb bird. Cost includes tax and delivery. Given the higher cost of living in the UK compared to the States and the fact that this is a variety of turkey (Norfolk Black) that is very old (the oldest some say) and now only produced on one farm in the UK, I think that this is a very good price. Especially, as a monster generic flavourless supermarket turkey will cost 2/3s of this price.

Anyway, I am going to save on the cost of the cranberries ans I bought a whole bunch of wild cranberries (lingon berries/cow berries) in Lithuania. :rolleyes:

So, a week after Christmas an we have well and truely had the turkey. It arrived on time, it look great, there were extensive details for cooking it provided and after cooking it was moist and flavourful. So I was very happy with the purchase.

However, I was still pretty bored by the overall flavour, which I think comfirms for me that I just don't really turkey, especially as while I was eating it I was thinking "I really wish we had got some goose/beef/pork in".