• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tom Yum

Bond Girl

Inspired by the recent string of thai eating, I am feeling very ambitious to attempt the Tom Yum soup. According to Pichet Ong:

Here are some the ingredients for the soup base:

tamarind

galanga

kaffir lime

fish sauce

sugar

I know I forgot something...someone help me figure out what it is? Or does anyone out there has a better version.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

The fillings usually include tomatoes, bean sprouts and chunks of pineapple. At least in the versions I like.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I include lemon grass in the base. And, come to think of it, I do consider the chilis part of the base. I go very, very minimal on the sugar. My typical other additions are straw mushrooms, shrimp and shallots. No sprouts, tomatoes or pineapple for me! For me, it's more about the broth than the chewables.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

galanga

chicken stock

lemon grass

kaffir lime leaves

chili-tamarind paste

thai chile peppers

Seasonings:

fish sauce

lime juice

palm sugar

then, shrimp, thai chiles, straw (or button) mushrooms

garnish w/green onion rings and cilantro

edited to add: No claim to authenticy here. It's based on a recipe from "Practical Thai Cooking" by Puangkram Schmitz and Worman and it tastes similar to good versions I've had in local Thai places out here.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

This is the basic recipe I use when I feel like making Tom Yum soup:

Tom Yum Kung

Serves 6

1 tablespoon oil

1 pound shrimp, shelled, shells reserved

8 cups hot water

2 stalks lemongrass, cut in 4” lengths

1 lemon or lime, sliced

4 kaffir lime leaves

2 slices galangal

2 whole fresh red or green chiles

1 can straw mushrooms, drained

1 tablespoon fish sauce

2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (garnish)

3 scallions, chopped (garnish)

Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add shrimp shells and sauté until they turn pink. Add next 6 ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer 20 minutes. Strain broth through a cheesecloth-lined sieve. Return to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Add shrimp and straw mushrooms. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, until shrimp turn pink. Stir in fish sauce.

Serve garnished with cilantro and scallions.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

This is the basic recipe I use when I feel like making Tom Yum soup:

Tom Yum Kung

Serves 6

1 tablespoon oil

1 pound shrimp, shelled, shells reserved

8 cups hot water

2 stalks lemongrass, cut in 4” lengths

1 lemon or lime, sliced

4 kaffir lime leaves

2 slices galangal

2 whole fresh red or green chiles

1 can straw mushrooms, drained

1 tablespoon fish sauce

2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (garnish)

3 scallions, chopped (garnish)

Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add shrimp shells and sauté until they turn pink. Add next 6 ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer 20 minutes. Strain broth through a cheesecloth-lined sieve. Return to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Add shrimp and straw mushrooms. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, until shrimp turn pink. Stir in fish sauce.

Serve garnished with cilantro and scallions.

If you take this recipe and add a teaspoon of jaggery or palm sugar you'd have my Tom Yum recipe too. I'm not a Thai expert but some versions of Tom Yum include a small portion of coconut milk too don't they?

tom yum:

Chix stock

sliced galangal

lemon grass

fresh thai peppers

kaffir lime leaves

straw mushrooms

equal parts lime juice and fish sauce

cilantro

protein

never ran across tamarind or palm sugar in a basic tom yam. don't mean s**t though ;). Whatever floats your boat works.

Interesting. I've never had tom yam soup that included any coconut milk. The places I go to, if you want coconut milk in your soup, you should get tom kha.

I've never had it either. The soup is definitely not authentic but it's certainly very good.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.