• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Finest cheesesteak?

rlibkind

A philadelphia cheesesteak outside of the Philly metro region? Doubt it. The "worlds' best"? No frickin' way!!

Even more dubious is when it's advertised as a "philly steak and cheese". Steak and cheese? It makes me want to cry. And that's what we've got here in Virginia. Steak and cheeses. Ugh.

One of my core beliefs is that any place which puts "Philly" in front of "Cheesesteaks" is a place not to order a cheesesteak.

I've said that many, many times myself. If there is one exception, Gaetanos has one to describe the specific toppings as a "Philly Cheesesteak" has "cheese sauce and fried onions." Menu here

Worse is when a place claims to serve "Philly steak and cheese". Nobody, I mean nobody calls it that.

The real question is cheesesteak one or two words or does each work?

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

One of my core beliefs is that any place which puts "Philly" in front of "Cheesesteaks" is a place not to order a cheesesteak.

I've said that many, many times myself. If there is one exception, Gaetanos has one to describe the specific toppings as a "Philly Cheesesteak" has "cheese sauce and fried onions." Menu here

Worse is when a place claims to serve "Philly steak and cheese". Nobody, I mean nobody calls it that.

The real question is cheesesteak one or two words or does each work?

Marlton is soooo far away that a Philly Cheesesteak explanation is essential. But what would you expect from a place that serves an A1 cheesesteak?

Cheesesteak as two words? Frigginidiotic!

Steak and Cheese? Isn't that how you kill a vampire?

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

The serve a Steak and Cheese in DC, but the meat, cheese and onions are put on top of lettuce and tomatoes. Nothing like hot lettuce on a sandwich.

Not sure which place thought to bury the lettuce and tomato but it does sound revolting. I've never seen that and hope I never do.

Jerry's (local pizza and sub chain) makes a pretty good cheesesteak and they definitely don't bury the fixins.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

The serve a Steak and Cheese in DC, but the meat, cheese and onions are put on top of lettuce and tomatoes. Nothing like hot lettuce on a sandwich.

Not sure which place thought to bury the lettuce and tomato but it does sound revolting. I've never seen that and hope I never do.

Jerry's (local pizza and sub chain) makes a pretty good cheesesteak and they definitely don't bury the fixins.

Thanks,

Kevin

Don't forget the mayo on that hot steak and cheese. Yup. Mayo.

Well, there is the fully "authentic" phenomenon of the "cheesesteak hoagie", available in many steak shops around philly, which is usually a standard cheesesteak with lettuce, tomato onions, etc, and indeed, mayo.

If it's eaten within about 35 seconds, it's actually pretty good...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I'm not saying the steak and cheese is bad. It's just not a cheesesteak. It's more of a cheesesteak hoagie. Without the good roll. Nonetheless, edible and I settle for it once in a while.

And feast on the real thing when back in Philly.

I have, however, found good pizza and hoagies nearby, so I have that to keep me going.

I live in Atlanta now, but visit there as family still up there, hence the PA/NJ Gullets still of interest. Anyhoo down here I've seen places serve them with Swiss or cheddar and yes mayo is standard on some.

Even one place is close to authentic, but they have this bizarre mustard and catchup concoction served standard. I don't recall ever seeing either served standard anywhere in the Debellaware Valley.

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

Debellaware!! Oh that brings back memories.

That sure sounds like a strange topping with the ketchup and mustard, but maybe it works.

I like sauce on my CS and I get very strange looks when I ask for it here in VA or anywhere else outside Debellaware Valley. I have to tell them that "yes, go ahead and put some pasta or speghetti sauce on it". Usually, they've never heard it served that way.

I like sauce on my CS and I get very strange looks when I ask for it here in VA or anywhere else outside Debellaware Valley. I have to tell them that "yes, go ahead and put some pasta or speghetti sauce on it". Usually, they've never heard it served that way.

As you describe it, I believe most places up here call that a "pizza steak."

In such cases, the default cheese is Provolone rather than Whiz or American.

BTW, John DeBella is still on the air, but he's no longer the unquestioned king of rock radio. Howard Stern knocked him off his perch several years ago.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Cheesesteak as two words?  Frigginidiotic!

Except the inventors seem to disagree. Check it out.

Geno's does that, too. I guess that's why, other than a rare late night fix, I get my cheesesteaks elsewhere.

Got me curious so I went to my most trusted reference for all things cheesesteak, HollyEats.Com, which happens to have pictures of both menus.

Pat's menu spells cheesesteak without the space. Geno's menu never mentions a cheesesteak but speaks rather of a "Cheese Whiz Steak" or a "Steak with Cheese".

My guess is that both steak shops went to some fancy-schmancy web design company whose staff's only exposure to cheesesteaks has been at Barclay Prime. Or the owners' kids did the site.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

A philadelphia cheesesteak outside of the Philly metro region? Doubt it. The  "worlds' best"? No frickin' way!!

As I understand, Tony Luke's in NYC is a legitimate outpost of an actual cheesteak place in Philly. But its probably the only example. They even bring in their meat and bread from Philly.

http://www.tonylukes.com/

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

As I understand, Tony Luke's in NYC is a legitimate outpost of an actual cheesteak place in Philly. But its probably the only example. They even bring in their meat and bread from Philly.http://www.tonylukes.com/

But no one :wink: ever eats a cheesesteak at Tony Luke's in Phila. -- if you don't eat roast pork with greens and provolone, you die.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report