• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Please excuse a dumb question

rajsuman

Hi,

I'm a total novice at all things alcoholic. I don't drink much,if at all, but ever since my husband got me three types of chocolate liqueurs from Vienna, I'm eager to expand my culinary horizons with liqueurs. I've just heard of a liqueur sale in my local shop(amaretto and limoncello are on the list). I want to stock up, but only if I can keep them for a few years. So, my question is, do liqueurs have an expiry date? The chocolate liqueurs don't have any BB dates printed - I wouldn't have thought so, since it is mostly alcohol - but I'd still like to confirm it with the experts here before I part with a lot of cash.

Thanks!

Its probably ok to store liqueurs out in the open as long as they don't have any dairy products in them. Stuff like Bailey's and Rum Cream and Chocolate Liqueur should be stored in the fridge after opening.

I would also avoid keeping liqueurs in particularly hot places.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

We found an unopened bottle of creme de menthe from 1978 in our collection and it was still okay. On the other hand, making drinks at my parent's house has become an adventure. They have lots of open liquers and many are probably over 30 years old. I can't vouch for how well they were kept away from light and heat, but we did end up discarding an open bottle of Grand Marnier and Creme de Cassis. Both had turned into something undrinkable. We've started bringing our own booze down there to make cocktails since we can't count on their supply to be usable. Dad doesn't drink and Mom drinks mostly wine (which is also kept in a nice warm spot :blink: ) so it doesn't pay to replace what they already have.

If you keep it closed and cool it should be okay to keep around for awhile - or more!

KathyM