• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CBS Seafood Restaurant

Pan

Well, the subtitle really says it all: Overall, the meal I had at this establishment last week was my best dim sum meal in the US. The food was all very fresh, with vivid flavors (and I don't mean lots of hot pepper: this is Cantonese food) that immediately grabbed me, cooked perfectly to an ideal texture. World Tong in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, New York had high peaks, but the consistency at CBS was better: Every item my cousin and I got at CBS was really superior, except for the bok choy with oyster sauce, which probably can't get better than simply good and well-executed -- and welcome that way -- as it's such a simple dish. If I really wanted to, I could nitpick the cuttlefish as a bit salty, but the fact is, I liked it anyway.

We ordered the following:

The biggest stuffed crab claws (well, really, I'm referring to the shrimp balls they're surrounded by) I've ever seen, roast duck, salt-baked squid, turnip cakes, taro cakes, waterchestnut cakes (the last two items were a mixed order, and we split one cake of each kind between us), the aforementioned bok choy, some kind of dumplings, and some sesame balls filled with red bean paste. Of course, there were leftovers, as our eyes were bigger than our stomachs, and the food was good though not quite as wonderful the next day, too. As we bit into each item, a look of delectation came across our faces. It's really hard to pick out a standout among all these great dishes, but the taro cakes were really fantastic, and the waterchestnut cakes were probably the best I've had. The sesame balls were still warm and perfect: Not too thick, great crunch, not very oily, lots of filling. They were a perfect ending to a meal of excellence.

The waitresses all spoke English well, which is not always the case in New York's dim sum eating halls.

Though we went there for dim sum, I feel sure the restaurant is excellent for a dinner banquet, too. We noticed some other customers ordering some beautiful large plates, like the gentlemen at the next table who got a steamed whole fish.

The restaurant has two large dining rooms and also does a brisk takeout business. They manage to shoehorn a lot of cars in their free parking lot.

I'm sorry that a snafu prevented us from meeting rjwong for lunch that day, but my cousin and I are very grateful to him for his recommendation!

CBS Seafood Restaurant

Open every day 8 A.M.-10 P.M.

700 N. Spring St.

Los Angeles, CA 91012

Tel: (213) 617-2323

[Edit: Squid, not cuttlefish.]

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Pan,

I am glad that you and your cousin enjoyed the dim sum. I, too, am sorry for the snafu as well. If it was a choice between the dim sum or me, I would say you received the better choice. Perhaps, next time, I should return the favor and head out to New York ...

I must admit that I'm rather spoiled to have CBS so close by, a 10-minute walk from my office. In fact, last week when my mother was visiting Southern California, I bought about $50 worth of dim sum to take over to my sister's place for a little family luncheon.

I hope you and your cousin managed to get out of the parking lot without a scratch!

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

• 7 months later...

By around 2:00 p.m., dim sum sort of dies down.

Elie, CBS serves traditional Cantonese dim sum with the ladies pushing the carts around and when you see what you want, say so. That 's the restaurant section.

I always go to the Chinese deli section, where I stand in line, order what I see, and take it back to the office or home. Warning: it can get chaotic.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...