• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese course order in Vancouver restaurants.

Chef Metcalf

If you choose the tasting menu at the restaurant I work at, the cheese course comes before the dessert course. A la carte, cheese plates are available anytime.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Funny. Because I've probably got a few laps on some of you, growing up in Vancouver after the war (Crimean), you would never see the cheese course before the pudding. Didn't happen, in restaurants or in homes. That's because the men needed something to do such as swill Port after the women retired to the (with) drawing room. It was still--in those days at least--British Columbia after all.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

I have either shown my age, my ignorance or committed a terrible culinary faux paus!

Oh, the shame. :laugh:

Yeah, you're too young! :biggrin: When French restaurants began to assert themselves in the early seventies (almost a decade after the repeal of the liquor legislation) we began to see cheese being served before the sweet. Now, as many have mentioned, it's almost become a dessert replacement.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

I have either shown my age, my ignorance or committed a terrible culinary faux paus!

Oh, the shame. :laugh:

Yeah, you're too young! :biggrin: When French restaurants began to assert themselves in the early seventies (almost a decade after the repeal of the liquor legislation) we began to see cheese being served before the sweet. Now, as many have mentioned, it's almost become a dessert replacement.

Of course you're right Jamie....I wasn't even born yet in the seventies! :wink:

So that just means I really haven't been paying attention.

And neither have you come to think of it.

You edited my New Year's menu with the obvious faux paus on it and didn't inform me!

It's all Maw's fault...that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :raz:

Jamie is right- I think the traditional order was sweet then savoury- at least in England and her colonies.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Jamie is right- I think the traditional order was sweet then savoury- at least in England and her colonies.

Any old Port in a storm. Or as my grandfather said of rejoining the ladies quickly, "Any old sport in the dorm."

Chef Metcalf  You edited my New Year's menu with the obvious faux paus on it and didn't inform me!

Merely thought you were going Continental. Or at least Town Car. :biggrin:

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Growing up in London I remember my grandparents and parents serving the pudding first then finish off the meal with cheese. Cheese or pudding first? I love them both so I'm indifferent as long as the result ends up with me having both. Just last night we finished off our evening with a nice Aussi sticky with some store bought rice pudding :rolleyes: and then during a dvd had some cheese with a small glass of fino sherry.

Cheers,

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG