• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Middle Eastern and North African ingredients

chefzadi

Now I just have to find more recipes to use them. :smile:

Although when I moved to NoCal and couldn't find these stores, I had a friend who lives near those Artesia stores I mentioned ship me a bag of Z'atar!

Can you point me to some recipes using zatar? I will have a student from Turkey, and perhaps one from Saudi again this term. I received a generous bag of sumac from behemoth early in the year.I was glad to be able to replenish my supply.

I've gotten into the habit of mixing a generous tablespoon or so of sumac into my hamburger meat. It adds this amazing depth of flavor, although almost undiscernable exactly WHAT the flavor is.

For Z'atar - similar to what Chef Zadi posted, I use it when I am roasting meat as well as sprinkling it on plates of labne and drizzing with olive oil to be scooped up with pita bread.

• 3 weeks later...