• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Olive tapanade

caobao

I want to impress someone with olive tapanade, and mine just doesn't cut it. I feel I've tried it all. Could it be that I amm simply not picky enough when it comes to the olives? Is it the oil that's wrong?

Does any of you have a recipe that you'd recommend?

Thanks in adv.

CB

CB,

It may be a combination of factors. The old saying of "garbage in, garbage out" holds true. When I make tapenade, I only use the best olives I can find (usually kalamata), salt-cured anchovies, salt-cured capers, EVOO, S&P and whatever else strikes my fancy that day. If you've not used salt-cured anchovies or capers before, let me say, you are in for a treat. They are significantly more flavorful than their grocery store "packed-in-oil" counterparts. Use the best ingredients, and it will make a HUGE difference in taste. btw...the salt packed products can be found in any good Italian market. You will likely have to ask for the anchovies, as these are frequently sold on a per piece basis. They will not be filleted, but it is easy to do. Simply use your fingers to open up the fish, then remove the bone that runs the length of the fish. Rinse (both these and the capers) very well.

I used to make one with black olives (before I had any clue about what good olives were, so just some supermarket stuff I'm afraid) and finely minced onion, lots of garlic and lots of fresh rosemary sauteed in oliveoil until soft and translucent. Kind of unusual but very good.

The recipe in Silver Palate's "New Basics" book is great - it has tuna instead of anchovies (or is it sardines?), and is delicious. I'll see if I can find it for you when I get home!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007