• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Biscuits in Literature

rickmcdaniel

I am collecting food quotes for a writing project and meed a good quote anout biscuits from a Southern writer. Any literature buffs out there know of a Tennessee Williams, Faulkner, Wolfe or other literary reference to that most noble creature, the high-rising Southern biscuit?

Rick McDaniel

Senior Contributing Writer, Food and Drink

Asheville (NC) Citizen-Times

"In the South, perhaps more than any other region, we go back to our home in dreams and memories, hoping it remains what it was on a lazy, still summer's day twenty years ago."--Willie Morris

now he does not necessarily fall in the lines of Williams, Faulkner, et al but Lewis Grizzard did several odes to biscuits in his columns. He blamed part of America's ills on what he called "whomp" biscuits or biscuits that came fr/ a can. (if memory serves he signed his publicity photo at Loveless Cafe as "these ain't no 'whomp' biscuits") I will do a quick run through his books and see if I can find the specific article.

I vaguely remember reference to biscuits in one of Flannery O'Conner's short stores but can not remember exactly which one.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

You might read some of Eugene Walter's writings about food. He was from Mobile, Alabama.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I found this interesting link about biscuits.

They take those things seriously in Alabama, I guess. Now I might need a t-shirt.

Another person to consider for a quote. Bill Neal’s Biscuits, Spoonbread, and Sweet Potato Pie (UNC Press, $19.95),

edited to add note.

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I found this interesting link about biscuits.

They take those things seriously in Alabama, I guess.  Now I might need a t-shirt.

Another person to consider for a quote.  Bill Neal’s Biscuits, Spoonbread, and Sweet Potato Pie (UNC Press, $19.95),

edited to add note.

I think the name is hilarious. Minor League Base ball names are priceless. The Augusta "Green Jackets" in an obvious reference to the Masters played there. Carolina has the "Mudcats" which used to play in Columbus, GA. which sits on the banks of the Chattahoochee. Of course the Durham "Bulls" are probably the best known but there are also the Chattanooga "Lookouts" from the mountain of the same name which looks over the city, the Tennessee "Smokies" named for the mountain range and I am trying to think of any other references to food besides possibly the Macon "Peaches" but the sports writers are having a blast over there w/ analogies to base ball & biscuits.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

I don't think these are all from literature but here are some quotes I found from Googling "quote biscuits":

Biscuit quotes #1

Four quotes but two of them are repeats from the link above

Some more obscure biscuit quotes

Movie quotes with "biscuit" in them (warning - graphic language in some quotes)

Many of the quotes in the last link are seemingly out of context. Guess you had to see the movie...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

In about the 3rd or so chapter of Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry there's a few pages featuring Gus McCrae sitting by his dutch oven waiting for his sourdough biscuits to rise, while he watches the sun rise and reads his bible . . . .

• 2 months later...

Thomas Wolfe has some biscuit babblin' going on "The Web and the Rock." Lots of choice food descriptions from the old trencherman in that book. I'll try and find...

good luck,

tcd

Edited by timothycdavis (log)

Timothy C. Davis

Charlotte, NC

timothycdavis@earthlink.net

www.themoodyfoodie.com

www.cln.com

www.southernfoodways.com

Well, there's the classic song from Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks:

"Get your biscuits in the oven and your buns in bed."

Hold on just a minute pardner! That song was written by the next Governor of Texas--Kinky Friedman.

Many speak of my drinking but few think of my thirst.