• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Schaller & Weber

Daniel

Went to Schaller and Weber for the first time this weekend On 85th and 2nd. I was driving up to my girlfriends country house with plans to bbq.. Besides the normal ribs and bacon wrapped turkey I wanted to grab something different.. I have been pleased with there products in restaurants and buying them at grocery stores.. I must start out by saying the entire experience was truly professional.. They have old school butchers behind the counter who are more then happy to walk you through the process.. I bought raw brats and something they said were like hot dogs.. I also bought raw ribs, saukraut, pickled herring in cream sauce, licorious,. pickles, rolls, mustards, and some german cheese.. Everything was outstanding.. Really loved the pickles, excellent herring, outstanding brats.. I didnt go crazy because I promised myself i would be back.. Would love to hear some recommendations as to what else to order.. I have my eye on their bacon..

excellent german potato salad too!

Edited by Daniel (log)

I'm fortunate to live not far from Schaller & Weber, and it's a wonderful place. For some reason -- maybe because it's on the Upper East Side, maybe because there's a perception that it's too Old New York, maybe because German/Austrian/Hungarian food is passe -- the place doesn't have a lot of traction among foodies. That's good, because you never have to wait on line.

I'd definitely recommend the double smoked slab bacon -- it's one of the best bacons in the world. I've been a member of the Bacon of the Month club, I've sought out bacon all over and I've eaten enough for ten lifetimes, and I come back to Schaller & Weber bacon as a neighborhood product that's right up there with the best from far and wide. It's not an in-your-face bacon with a particularly strong or unique profile. Rather, it's just superb, concentrated, serious bacon.

Also in that 'hood, be sure to go by the Yorkville Packing House (1560 Second Ave. at 81st St., 212.628.5147) for a smaller but equally amazing collection of cured meats from the Hungarian side of the equation.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'm with Steven on the double smoked bacon. It's some of the best around.

I think Schaller & Weber does a substantial amount of its business selling meats to restaurants and the like. They probably make more money there than they do on retail. It wouldn't surprise me if they are the #1 seller of German specialty meats in the Eastern United States. In fact, bergerka and I were just in a fun little restaurant in Black Mountain, North Carolina called the Berliner Kindl. It's run by a very nice German woman. All their sausages were from Schaller & Weber.

If anyone is interested, they have a web site at schallerweber.com.

--

I really enjoy spreading some of their Teewurst on a slice of sour rye bread, as a snack with a beer.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Not to mention it's the ONLY place in NYC to go get brats to cook in beer for those all-important Green Bay Packer games on tv!

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Thats exactly what I did this weekend, with out the Packers.. I went beer and butter boil.. Then grilled them over charcoal, then put them in the saurkraut for a couple of minutes before serving.. They were excellent..

Anyone else have a favorite cold cut from there?

Can't name a favorite, but do agree with all that their bacon totally rocks. Their smoked pork chops/loin are amazing too - a great place to shop when you're preparing choucroute garni (a nice summer dish!) - they have a pretty damn good selection of mustards and other condiments as well.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'd definitely recommend the double smoked slab bacon -- it's one of the best bacons in the world.

I'm with Steven on the double smoked bacon.  It's some of the best around.

Can't name a favorite, but do agree with all that their bacon totally rocks.

That double smoked bacon is out of control. I was lucky to run into bourdain when eating at Les Halles one night and asked him where the restaurant gets such amazing bacon for the lardons in the Lyonnaise (sp? sorry it's late) salad. He told me the double smoked from S&W.... and now I always have it on hand. I can't wait to make BLTs when my tomatoes come in.

MMMMM.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

I'd definitely recommend the double smoked slab bacon -- it's one of the best bacons in the world. I've been a member of the Bacon of the Month club, I've sought out bacon all over and I've eaten enough for ten lifetimes, and I come back to Schaller & Weber bacon as a neighborhood product that's right up there with the best from far and wide. It's not an in-your-face bacon with a particularly strong or unique profile. Rather, it's just superb, concentrated, serious bacon.

Does anyone know if this is a type of Tyroler Speck product? i.e. cured and long smoked so that it can be eaten raw?

If not, do they sell Speck for eating there?

Regarding a previous question re: cold cuts to try, good ones to try at a German/Austrian butcher would be the liverwurst (they should have several kinds), cervelats andsalami, headcheese and their hams, including Westphalian.

edited to add: I just noticed the link to their website. It looks like the Tiroler Speck may be the "Schinkenspeck" (or close to it).

I'd recommend this for people to try if you haven't. Should have a very, full, smoked ham/bacon flavor. Best eaten 'raw' or just lightly warmed. (i.e. tossed into a finished pasta dish). Try thin slices on good butter rye bread and you'll be in heaven.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

, maybe because there's a perception that it's too Old New York, maybe because German/Austrian/Hungarian food is passe -- the place doesn't have a lot of traction among foodies.

I don't give a flip what the foodies think, every time I am in NYC, I go by Schaller and Weber to pick up some blood sausage and liver sausage. I boil a pot of water, cut off the heat and put the sausages in for about 20 minutes to warm them up. Then I fry them with some sauteed onions. May not be what foodies like, and the rest of my family thinks I am nuts, but I just love it.

, maybe because there's a perception that it's too Old New York, maybe because German/Austrian/Hungarian food is passe -- the place doesn't have a lot of traction among foodies.

I don't give a flip what the foodies think, every time I am in NYC, I go by Schaller and Weber to pick up some blood sausage and liver sausage. I boil a pot of water, cut off the heat and put the sausages in for about 20 minutes to warm them up. Then I fry them with some sauteed onions. May not be what foodies like, and the rest of my family thinks I am nuts, but I just love it.

Yum, Blutwurst and Leberwurst! Serve it up with good sauerkraut, potato salad, buttered rye bread and some good beer.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"