• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Katz’s Delicatessen

Sandra Levine

It's a shame that you sometimes have to be that aggressive. I'd prefer if they'd wait for approval before starting the sandwich, but I guess they so seldom have people decline their samples that they save time by doing things the way they do.

Michael aka "Pan"

Yesterday I got to Katz's for the first time in over twenty years.

In the Schwartz's, Langer's, Katz's, pastrami poll, my vote goes to Schwartz's. While it is not the most tender, it has the most taste.

More details to follow, if I find the time.

If you don't specifically tell the guy at the counter "listen, I want JUICY" your experience will be lackluster at best. And I always tip the guy at least a buck, and two bucks if you really want the guy to like you.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Yesterday I got to Katz's for the first time in over twenty years. 

In the Schwartz's, Langer's, Katz's, pastrami poll, my vote goes to Schwartz's.  While it is not the most tender, it has the most taste.

More details to follow, if I find the time.

If you don't specifically tell the guy at the counter "listen, I want JUICY" your experience will be lackluster at best. And I always tip the guy at least a buck, and two bucks if you really want the guy to like you.

I've had decent luck with juicy-enough pastrami at all except my most recent visit.

Do you have any suggestions for ways to insert two dollars into the tip cup so that the counterman sees both bills? :raz:

• 8 months later...

hi all-

i'll be in nyc oct. 5-10, and my hubby is dying to hit katz's deli. i'm a pesce-vegetarian and was wondering if there's anything i could eat there that's really good. i've checked out their menu on menupages.com and noticed that they have an egg salad sandwich. is it any good? any suggestions appreciated.

dexygus

The potato pancakes are really good.

Cole slaw, potato salad or sides perhaps?

The pickles are always good.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Kasha or potato knish

I wouldn't classify them as particularly good, though. In fact, they suck. I'd rather have the really good french fries next door. Or if the latkes look good that might be a good option but I have never had them.

for knishes the Carnegie kicks Katz's ass. But you don't go to Katz to eat Knishes, or Vegetarian.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I suggest the french fries restaurant next door.

If you're thinking of the one that was closer to Bereket, it's closed. That space is a Tasti-D-Lite now.

I would suggest taking the opportunity to try a couple of places in the neighborhood while you're there. Feed your hubby's pastrami jones at Katz's, then go to 'inoteca for the infamous Truffled Egg Toast and a glass of wine (Rivington and Ludlow). Or go around the corner to Teany, Moby's tea shop/cafe (Rivington between Ludlow and Orchard). The vegetarian sandwiches I've tried there were delicious. Maybe a fried oyster po' boy at Schiller's (Rivington and Norfolk) - worth the trip to see the interior. For dessert, Sugar Sweet Sunshine has fantastic cupcakes in a range of flavors (Rivington between Essex and Norfolk).

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

In my opinion the best non-meat item at Katz's is the lox and onion omelette, served with bread, pickles, and steak fries. I agree, however, that your best bet might be to split your meal among multiple establishments: you nibble on some pickles at Katz's, and then go someplace else for a non-meat item, like a knish at Yonah Schimmel's, which will be quite a bit better than a Katz's knish. Unless you're going to schlep out to Coney Island and Mrs. Stahl's, I think Yonah Schimmel's serves the best knish you're going to get your hands on.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I know the traditional thing is to wait on line for the pastrami, but I found that when you want to order more than one item (there's a separate line for each type of food), especially lox & eggs (is there a lox & eggs line?), it may be better to sit in the waiter serviced area.

In my opinion the best non-meat item at Katz's is the lox and onion omelette, served with bread, pickles, and steak fries. I agree, however, that your best bet might be to split your meal among multiple establishments: you nibble on some pickles at Katz's, and then go someplace else for a non-meat item, like a knish at Yonah Schimmel's, which will be quite a bit better than a Katz's knish. Unless you're going to schlep out to Coney Island and Mrs. Stahl's, I think Yonah Schimmel's serves the best knish you're going to get your hands on.

Or run a half block down to Russ & Daughters and buy yourself the best smoked fish you ever had in your life, or a bagel and caviar cream cheese. Yum!!!

To witness these wonderful delicacies you can click Russ & Daughters or Yonah Schimmel's and see what looks good to you.

I'm predicting you'll want both!

edited to add: They make a Pastrami Salmon that is absolutely To Die For at Russ & Daughters. You can have your pastrami too!!!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

wow, thanks everyone. i knew you'd come to my rescue. at least i know i have a few options. it actually sounds like a picnic may be in order. pick up a few things at a few different places. russ & daughters looks great, and the truffled egg toast is making me drool.

dexygus

• 1 year later...

Speak, Memory New York City Entry #25

Memory challenges a food critic. Does the dish consumed today compare with that of yesterday, last year, a decade ago, or in childhood. Is our world growing better in every way or is it forever in decay?

New Yorkers of my acquaintance tend to accept the latter. Since arriving in Manhattan there has been a litany of complaint: Restaurant X (fill in the blank) is going downhill. The reverse diagnosis is rare.

Early in my visit I was told that Katz's Delicatessen was not what it was. Could it be true? And how could I tell, despite the many times I visited its location on the corner of Houston and Ludlow?

Katz's is something of the archetypal Jewish New York Deli (and is there any other kind?). Rows of common tables are set apart from a long counter at which work numerous busy countermen. On the walls are a who's who of the famous and less-so. One receives a ticket upon entering, and the countermen (and some table servers, too) mark one's purchases.

This Sunday morning my friend and I shared a hot pastrami sandwich on rye, an order of potato pancakes, and an egg cream. The good news was that the pastrami was better than any pastrami outside of the confines of the Lower East Side (starting with the ritualistic taste that I was offered before purchasing). Katz's serves their pastrami sandwich much as the archetypal Philly Cheesesteak vendors (Pat's and Geno's) serve their steaks. The meat is not so much sliced as chopped, although in New York there is no Italian roll to cup the mess. The pastrami was very flavorful and juicy. Excellent. Was it fattier than I recall? Perhaps a bit, but I was in no mood to complain. Memory did not permit a judgement on whether it remained at the same perch on Mount Olympus, but it was well above competitors (I haven't tried the Second Avenue Deli this visit).

The potato pancake was less satisfying: it was not as airy as some I recall. The dish was rich with potato, but rather solid. I'm not sure if onions used to be mixed in, but these pancakes were pure spud, lacking a kick. I enjoyed them, but was not in love. I have had better.

The egg cream was a canonical New York version, not too sweet and with the chocolate syrup added at the end. When we reminisce in heaven about egg creams, this could be one of which we speak.

Did Katz's measure up to my last visit some years back? I can't quite say. However, if Katz's is no longer a New York classic (and that is not MY claim), most other cities would roll out a carpet of pink smoked meats.

Katz's Delicatessen

205 East Houston Street (at Ludlow Street)

Manhattan (Lower East Side)

212-254-2246

My Webpage: Vealcheeks

• 9 months later...

Last evening I took the bus over to Katz' after work because I had a hunkering for pastrami.

Following the advice in this thread I did the following:

1. When it was my turned to be served by the counterman/cutter, I smiled broadly.

2. While smiling, I dropped two dollar bills in the tip jar (one by one so he could see that it was two bills). He thanked me.

3. While dropping the bills into the tip jar, I then asked him for a "juicy pastrami." With a pleasant tone of voice he replied that he would "get one" for me.

So he went to the bin, dug around amongst the pastramis and pulled one out that presumably measured up to my request. Then he began cutting.

He put my "sample" slices on a plate and I approved. I was expecting the pastrami to be a lot saltier (which I'm glad it wasn't). And it was quite juicy - not too fatty or lean either. In fact it was delicious.

I bought two pastrami sandwiches (one for me, one for hubby), which were piled quite high. But later on that evening, hubby ended up with only a 1/2 sandwich, even after I finished mine. Don't ask me how that happened and how I had the room. But somehow I managed.

Let's just say that I was quite pleased with the pastrami yesterday. :laugh:

Edited by Kris (log)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

If anyone was near Katz Sunday morning between 10:30-11:00 and had to walk around a salt covered, silver Ford Expedition parked on the sidewalk- my apologies!

Still an awe inspiring experience and quintessential "NY". Had a monster pastrami and got some soft salamis to bring back

If anyone was near Katz Sunday morning between 10:30-11:00 and had to walk around a salt covered, silver Ford Expedition parked on the sidewalk- my apologies!

Still an awe inspiring experience and quintessential "NY". Had a monster pastrami and got some soft salamis to bring back

Have you tried any of the salami? I've never tried Katz's salami.

You're lucky you didn't get ticketed, but I'm glad you had a chance to try that pastrami!

Michael aka "Pan"

Have you tried any of the salami? I've never tried Katz's salami.

You're lucky you didn't get ticketed, but I'm glad you had a chance to try that pastrami!

It's good but I prefer hard salami. Would never choose t over the pastrami or corned beef.

The Katz's salamis, both the hard and soft, are in my opinion the best available examples of those products, however they're not the best things at Katz's. (I slightly prefer the hard.) Presumably they're made by an outside concern for Katz's -- a company like A&H or one of the other high-quality kosher meat-product producers -- but I haven't done the investigation necessary to track it down. I doubt Katz's is making its own salami on premises. With the pastrami, it's also probably made under contract elsewhere, but Katz's adds a lot of value by the on-premises handling: steaming, hand-slicing. The salami is just the salami the way it came in the door.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 3 months later...

THE END OF KATZ'S?!

Enormously important food news: Katz's may be closing, with a slight possibility of reopening in a fucking high-rise.

The fact that this is even being discussed is a scary thought; let alone if it actually happens. Grub St. is usually pretty responsible with it's reports.

The article.

I've heard the rumors for several months now around the deli scene. Suffice to say that nothing is confirmed, but it wouldn't and shouldn't come as a surprise to many. Sad and tragic. It's time to start a preservation campaign to save these delis, because we won't have any left in Manhattan within a decade.

Save the Deliwww.savethedeli.com

A possible comparison, for what it's worth. I grew up near Nathan's in the 1950's on Long Island when there were only two in existence. My grandparents and parents grew up near the original. Now, of course, they are ubiquitous. The one in Oceanside was rustic and had much charm, though it might not have been up to current codes. My friend, whose family was French, used to joke about the "exchange rate"- how many franks to the dollar. Anyway, I moved away in the 1960's for life in upstate NY. I only returned to that Nathan's about six years ago to find it replaced with a sanitized plastic and chrome structure. Maybe it was the disassociation from childhood memories, or the "can't go home again" syndrome, but for me it was totally lacking in character and charm. Ironically, the racetrack in Saratoga, where I live, still retains a bit of that in it's food areas (although the food isn't very good). What would a new Katz's be like? Yes, the food might be the same, but where's the memories, the charm, the ambience, the tradition to be found?

Mark A. Bauman

• 4 weeks later...