• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eating near I-84

Andrew Fenton

In a couple of days, we'll be driving from Philadelphia to Maine. We take I-84 through Connecticut, and depending on when we leave, dinner tends to fall when we hit the region of Danbury. So I'm looking for some good, quick eats in that region.

In the past we've gone to the Goulash Place, which ranges from the excellent (stuffed cabbage! Transylvanian pork goulash!) to the bizarre (beef stroganoff... with a Kraft Single melted on top!) This time around, we're looking for something different. I've read about Carminuccio's in Newtown: worth a stop? Anyplace else I should know about?

• 2 weeks later...

Carole Peck's Good News Cafe in Woodbury has terrific New American style cusine. Lots of fresh, organic, and local ingredients.

It's only about fifteen or twenty minutes past Danbury - about three miles north of I-84 at Exit 15 (Route 6) - so interstate access is easy.

We've always enjoyed the food, which is rather unique for a restaurant in the Nutmeg State.

While my main course orders vary, I tend to start with the pecan-crusted fresh oysters with cherry, jicama, and tomatillo salsa & chili aioli.

The following are from my files and travels from Maine to Allentown PA (Two yeas ago)

Nardelli's Grinder Shoppe - Waterbury, CT, 540 Plank Rd., 203-754-5600 , (near Exit 25 off I-84)

Bantam Bread Bakery

853 Bantam Road, Bantam, Connecticut , 860-567-2737

CT I-84 , exit 7 , US-7 / 202 north 12 miles New Milford, now US-202 only 20 miles to Bantam

Bantam Bread Bakery is an exception to the rule that claims great bakeries are found in densely populated areas. On a small-town road far from any city, baker Niles Golovin produces tawny-crusted peasant loaves, chewy rye with caraway seeds, rosemary-perfumed Kalamata olive sourdough, and a "holiday loaf" studded with toasted walnuts, golden raisins, and sour cherries. Beyond loaves, Golovin makes biscotti for crunchy munching, elegant tortes for dessert, and an item that somehow got labeled a "dirtball" — a sugar-coated cupcake that has the feathery texture of a butter croissant and the avoirdupois of a cake donut.

Good Taste: 117 Church Hill Road, Sandy Hook CT , 203-270-5509. I - 84, Exit 10, Take a left at the light, this is Church Hill Road, follow for about a half mile. Good Taste is on the left.

St. Andre Cheese w\Sundried Tomato Tapenade & Basil Sandwich; Pork Loin w\ Apple Raisin Chutney on Onion Roll; Baby Spinach, Toasted Pine Nuts, Raisins & Grilled Chicken Salad w\ Balsamic Dressing; Broccoli, Red Pepper & Cheddar Chowder.

They also have all kinds of regular deli sandwiches, great coffees, SCRUMPTUOUS desserts and earthy breads and rolls. For breakfast today you could have McMann's oatmeal w\sauteed pears or a specialty omelet.

Its a small casual place, and they have wonderful open air dining in warmer weather. BIG PLUS- the waitstaff is incredibly nice and friendly!

Peter

Wow, Peter I think you archived my reivew of Good Taste. Sadly, it is no more... gone. I haven't been to Carminuccio's in two years so don't know if it is still good.

However, I can vouch that First & Last Cafe in Danbury still serves wonderful wood fired oven pizza.