• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bugatti Espresso Machine?

Richard Kilgore

Style over substance?

It's Williams-Sonoma. I think we know the answer to that question.

It is a beautiful machine though :smile:

Edited by adegiulio (log)

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Style over substance - unquestionably. It's a thermoblock machine - not a conventional boiler system. That fact alone answers the question. If it was style you were after I'd point you to the Francis! Francis! machines. They're not as good as a Rancilio Sylvia is in the $500 price range but would be far superior to the Bugatti.

Better yet - bite the bullet, spend the $1,000 or so and get an E61 style machine. There are literally dozens of models out there and although there are variations among brands and models they're all pretty darn good. With practice and proper technique you'll be able to pull shots at home that are equal to or better than what you'd get in all but the very highest levels of cafes.