• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Two Bordeaux Questions

Lori_Russo

Hello, all. I recently purchased two bottles of Bordeaux at auction and frankly don't know much about either. Both came recommended by a trusted source, but I would love to get a second opinion (and, hopefully, a third and fourth...).

The first is a 1986 Chateau Leoville Barton (Saint-Julien) and the second is a 2000 Solen from Domaine Les Aureeles (Languedoc). If any of you kind folks have reviews/notes/suggestions for drinking or cellaring, food pairing, etc., your thoughts are appreciated. I am thinking about giving the '86 to my dad for Father's Day, along with a special dinner.

Thank you in advance,

Lori

The 1986 Leoville Barton, if it has been kept in good condition, should be an excellent wine and fine to drink now. Leoville Barton is a fine winery and 1986 a superb vintage. It will certainly go well with nearly any red meat dish. I can't help you with the other except to say that if it is from the Languedoc it is not a Bordeaux even if it contains Bordeaux varietals.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I'd second John, and recommend opening the Leoville Barton sooner rather than later. I've not had the wine, but I've had plenty of other 1986 wines, and I've found that more often than not, the fruit has shown some weariness and the tannins have had a firm grip. I'd take a taste upon uncorking and see what you think. Some aeration may be in order to tame the tannin, but then you run the risk of the fruit fading even more. I'd probably be one to check in on it every 15 minutes or so.

Don't know anything about your Languedoc wine except you can probably let it be.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

I can't help you with the other except to say that if it is from the Languedoc it is not a Bordeaux even if it contains Bordeaux varietals.

See! I told you I didn't know much about this wine! :smile:

Thank you both for your insight. Dad & I will open the '86 on Sunday with a nice filet.