• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whats the difference between ?

transfattyacid

I think we have to add two categories here - for in addition to wine snobs and winos there are true wine lovers and then there are wine geeks.

The geek is one to whom wine is the most civilized part of life, and for such people life without wine is unthinkable. The wine geek may or may not be a snob or a true wine lover but he/she is rarely a wino.

The true wine lover appreciates wine as a cultured part of life and, like every other aspect of the cultured life perceives wine as a reflection of our history, sociology, psychology and taste .. in short, one of many reflections of our being civil and cultured human beings.

The wine snob simply makes believe that he/she is a true wine lover but loves wine more for the impression that his/her knowledge (or bluff) will make on others than for the wine itself.

The wino is, simply stated, a drunk. And drunks are never cultured or civilized.

I think we have to add two categories here - for in addition to wine snobs and winos there are true wine lovers and then there are wine geeks.

The geek is one to whom wine is the most civilized part of life, and for such people life without wine is unthinkable.  The wine geek may or may not be a snob or a true wine lover but he/she is rarely a wino.

The true wine lover appreciates wine as a cultured part of life and, like every other aspect of the cultured life perceives wine as a reflection of our history, sociology, psychology and taste .. in short, one of many reflections of our being civil and cultured human beings.

The wine snob simply makes believe that he/she is a true wine lover but loves wine more for the impression that his/her knowledge (or bluff) will make on others than for the wine itself.

The wino is, simply stated, a drunk.  And drunks are never cultured or civilized.

I often begin my evening as a wine lover. But, if there are others who are as passionate as I, I/we can slide into winesnob/ boardering on winegeek.

But by the end of the night as I drunkenly weave my bike through darken carless streets, I more than likely become the Wino/Drunk.

That's cool. As long as it doesn't happen too often I can live with it.

slowfood/slowwine

The geek is one to whom wine is the most civilized part of life, and for such people life without wine is unthinkable.  The wine geek may or may not be a snob or a true wine lover but he/she is rarely a wino.

The wino is, simply stated, a drunk.  And drunks are never cultured or civilized.

I have never seen better definitions of these terms.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I often begin my evening as a wine lover. But, if there are others who are as passionate as I, I/we can slide into winesnob/ boardering on winegeek.

But by the end of the night as I drunkenly weave my bike through darken carless streets, I more than likely become the Wino/Drunk.

That's cool. As long as it doesn't happen too often I can live with it.

Sounds like me!