• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Minerally Whites

goldie

I know relatively little about wine and very little about white wines. Certainly, I've had plenty to drink :rolleyes: , just not many whites I've cared for. However, the whites I do like seem to be very minerally and not remotely sweet. For example, I've enjoyed Southern Right Sauvignon Blanc from South Africa and Mulderbosch (excuse the poor spelling attempt) Sauvignon Blanc. I've had some pino grigios in Italy that I've enjoyed (but I've not liked any I've purchased here- sweet yuckiness). I also enjoy the French style, but I have no idea what to ask for or even look for in the store as far a regions or grapes go. I've been drinking vihno verde this spring, but I think I want something with a bit more umph and I don't love the bubbles with food. I don't care for oaky chardonnay or sweet wines (unless they are for dessert).

With that history in mind, could someone out there help me find some whites to enjoy this summer? I really need some suggestions for what to tell the wine merchants when I shop or the sommelier. Grapes? Regions? Styles? Give me what you've got or send me to links with the info. The salesperson I always went to just left and she had similar tastes to mine so I'm a bit at a loss. It is important to me that the wines I select are food friendly as well. Cost isn't a huge factor- we drink a range of price points; however, I'm more inclined to spend the big bucks on a red I know I'll love rather than I white I'm not sure about.

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.

Actually, it seems to me that what you've written here would do a world of good with a wine merchant.

I'm also a relative novice but I know that I enjoy minerality far above sweetness and have had good success just blurting that out when one of the mechants asks me what I'm looking for.

A wine that I like quite well and is a blended white called Basa from the Rueda region of Spain. The winemaker is Telmo Rodriguez who, I have come to learn, is reasonably well known and well respected. A bit grassy but still has nice crisp fruit flavors and some minearlity. Surprisingly cheap ($9) but very good. I happened to buy this while visiting friends so it wasn't local but maybe a local store can help if you want to try it.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Here's a recent thread on non-oaked CA Sauvignon Blancs...click

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I love the white wines from the Loire Valley of France.

Several of them are made from 100% Sauvingon Blanc and seldom see much (if any) Oak. I am particularly fond of Sancerre, and would recommend searching that variety in particular if you like crisp, flinty, elegant whites.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Goldie, Hi...

If it is mineral rich wines you want, start your hunt with French Chablis. Made entirely from Chardonnay grapes in the Chablis region (north of Burgundy), these wines are often crisply dry and laded with minerals. Start with Chablis and later experiment with 1er Cru and Grand Crus Chablis...

See some of my tasting notes at

http://www.stratsplace.com/cgi-bin/search?...=111&offset=100 and

http://www.stratsplace.com/cgi-bin/search?...x=111&offset=50

Thanks to you all. I'm writing down the notes and bringing them with me to the wine merchant. Hopefully I'll be able to find a few examples of these wonderful suggestions. I'll be sure to share any notes.

As others have said...Chablis and Sancerre.

Additionally, you might think about...

Sauv Blanc - Pouilly Fume (also Loire, just spitting distance from Sancerre), Styrian region of Austria

Chardonnay - Styria, Puligny

Riesling - Austria in general

Gruner Veltliner - Austria in general

Chenin Blanc - Savennieres

These are all wines that I find have a high degree of minerality (at least in their best and most transparent forms).

Enjoy,

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

Piling on. . .

Chablis, definitely. But be sure to ask for one that sees little or no oak. Some producers have love affairs with oak, and you won't like their wines. As younger wines, many will show a steely, or even oyster shell-like, character. With maturity the minerality exuded is more earthy.

Loire, definitely. In addition to Sancerre, look for wines from Menetou-Salon, also made from sauvignon blanc. The whites of Quincy and Saumur can be bone dry and loaded with minerals. And don't foget Muscadet.

Alsace, definitely. Both Riesling and Pinot Gris. If you're adventurous, Gewurztraminer.

Germany. You will especially find the wines of the Mosel-Saar-Ruwer region give off a slate-like minerality. But you may find wines from the 2003 vintage showing much more fruit than mineral. The kabinetten wines may be a good bet for you here. And if you look at wine from the Pfalz, you may find some trocken wines that are to your liking.

Italy. You will find some mineral-driven whites like Roero Arneis and Falanghina. Again, though, beware the 2003 vintage which, for the most part, will have a lot of ripeness.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Thank you all so much. The links were very helpful and now a I have a whole list of wines to try- many of which I'm not familiar with.

What does "1er cru" mean and does one say "one-er cru" or "first cru" or something different all together? :huh: It's intimidating enough to try to remember how different wines are pronounced never mind the terms.

I was looking at some of the links and they mentioned the sugar percentages- I'm assuming I want to find the lowest possible, but what would that range be?

Thank you all so much.  The links were very helpful and now a I have a whole list of wines to try- many of which I'm not familiar with. 

What does "1er cru"  mean and does one say "one-er cru" or "first cru" or something different all together? :huh: It's intimidating enough to try to remember how different wines are pronounced never mind the terms.

I was looking at some of the links and they mentioned the sugar percentages- I'm assuming I want to find the lowest possible, but what would that range be?

1er Cru is usually referred to as "Premier" cru

Thank you all so much.  The links were very helpful and now a I have a whole list of wines to try- many of which I'm not familiar with. 

What does "1er cru"  mean and does one say "one-er cru" or "first cru" or something different all together? :huh: It's intimidating enough to try to remember how different wines are pronounced never mind the terms.

1er Cru is usually referred to as "Premier" cru

Ah- that makes much more sense now. Thanks!