• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

chromedome

chromedome

expanded upon original post

7 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

We were collecting pits and grinding them up.   My wife was using them for natural fiber dye.  She was making felting from wool at the time.  They make a really nice dye and a range of colors depending on the pH they are exposed to 

Ah, yes..."mordanting." One of my favorite words, the year I was 10. "Anadromous" was high on the list that year, too (I learned it while the shad and gaspereaux were running).

(ETA: I read most of an encyclopedia and most of a dictionary that year, and literally had more words than I knew what to do with. In retrospect, I must have been hilarious to the adults around me as I tried to find casual ways to use them in conversation.)

chromedome

chromedome

7 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

We were collecting pits and grinding them up.   My wife was using them for natural fiber dye.  She was making felting from wool at the time.  They make a really nice dye and a range of colors depending on the pH they are exposed to 

Ah, yes..."mordanting." One of my favorite words, the year I was 10. "Anadromous" was high on the list that year, too (I learned it while the shad and gaspereaux were running).