• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog Tag Team: slkinsey and Marlene - A tale of two kitchens..

the shin is bruised, but as long as I don't press against it, it's not too bad at all. Time to start some prep work for dinner tonight and for tomorrow's dinner as well.

My pork leftovers were destined to be taken to the hospital, but I've got some ideas for leftover steak on Wed. :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I've refrained from speaking because I really don't have anything profound or maybe even intelligent to say. But this is just a splendid thread. Thanks to you both for the time and effort contributed. Truly a joy to read and the vicarious experience is also fun :raz:.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

Pics after dinner, but the soup is made. Taking a 5 minute break to put ice on my hand where I burned it on the soup when the lid of the blender blew off. Oops.

Garlic soup in many places, and I'd just done the last cleanup on my kitchen from last night. I think blogging is dangerous to my health. :biggrin:

Marlene

Pics after dinner, but the soup is made.  Taking a 5 minute break to put ice on my hand where I burned it on the soup when the lid of the blender blew off.  Oops.

Garlic soup in many places, and I'd just done the last cleanup on my kitchen from last night.  I think blogging is dangerous to my health. :biggrin:

I was thinking the same thing before I read you saying that. Be careful; we don't want you to end up on the injured reserve list. :wub:

Michael aka "Pan"

I'll be browning and finishing in the oven, too ... Sam, will you expand on your method for the steak a little, like oven temp and roasting time?  Any buttering after it came out?

I saved all the rendered fat and poured it back over the steaks on the platter. It's important, in this style, to cut the steak right on the platter on which you will be serving it (after resting the steak in the same platter). That way all the juices from the steak are in the platter and can be spooned back over the steak. For this reason, I didn't feel like it needed any additional butter. For a grilled steak, though, I like a pat of anchovy butter or herb butter melted over the steak in the platter.

For the roasting stage, I stood the steaks up on their end bones (something you can't really do unless it's a very thick steak), put a thermometer probe down into the strip and roasted them to 125 degrees in a 350 degree oven.

--

Frankly, I think the mystery ingredient should be ground beef. It doesn't get much simpler than that, and these folks need a day to relax a bit (and an opportunity to keep their costs in check).

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Frankly, I think the mystery ingredient should be ground beef.  It doesn't get much simpler than that, and these folks need a day to relax a bit (and an opportunity to keep their costs in check).

Splendid idea!!! And for dessert, something with apples.

Great job, both of you!  Marlene, your new immersion blender might be a better choice next time...not so dangerous. :sad:

*smacks forehead*. Of course! I never even thought of it. The recipe said, throw into the blender, so that's what I did, totally without thinking. It was pretty spectacular though. :biggrin:

Tonight's dinner was Roasted Garlic Soup, Pan Seared Pork Chops with Mustard-Shallot Sauce and Parsley Butter Rice.

First of all though, I bought one of these last week. I've used it every day of this blog so far. Cooking by weight is new for me, but most of the recipes I've used so far have been by weight.

gallery_6080_1300_47918.jpg

This is the beginning of the soup. Roasted garlic and onions sweating.

gallery_6080_1300_11192.jpg

I made garlic croutons to go in the soup.

gallery_6080_1300_46976.jpg

The finished soup. I was supposed to take the bay leaf and thyme sprig out before I blended it, but I was so flustered after the blender explosion of the first batch, I completely forgot. Oh well. a few sprinkes of twigs never hurt anyone.

gallery_6080_1300_11296.jpg

We first tasted this soup during our cruise last month, and we really liked it. I bought the Royal Caribbean cookbook while on board (and I got the executive chef and sous chef to sign it) and lo and behold, the recipe was in there. For my first time making it, I thought it turned out rather well. I think it needs some chicken stock or something though. The recipe called for water, but next time I'd use stock I think.

The main course, pan frying the chops.

gallery_6080_1300_41524.jpg

Finished and plated:

gallery_6080_1300_37138.jpg

Now, I've pan fried chops before, but I've never made a mustard sauce to go with it, so another first for me tonight. I really really liked this.

Ryan is at his Dad's and Don's dinner is in the oven in the event he makes it home in time to eat something tonight!.

In the meantime, I figured I deserved this:

gallery_6080_1300_6931.jpg

This is a Wolf Blass Shiraz.

Here's my little birdie for tomorrow night's dinner:

gallery_6080_1300_9267.jpg

this is a four pound roaster and I've put him down to brine overnight. Bye bye birdie.

Marlene

Frankly, I think the mystery ingredient should be ground beef.  It doesn't get much simpler than that, and these folks need a day to relax a bit (and an opportunity to keep their costs in check).

Dean, we had a similar thought. Except I thought eggs.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I'll be browning and finishing in the oven, too ... Sam, will you expand on your method for the steak a little, like oven temp and roasting time?  Any buttering after it came out?

I saved all the rendered fat and poured it back over the steaks on the platter. It's important, in this style, to cut the steak right on the platter on which you will be serving it (after resting the steak in the same platter). That way all the juices from the steak are in the platter and can be spooned back over the steak. For this reason, I didn't feel like it needed any additional butter. For a grilled steak, though, I like a pat of anchovy butter or herb butter melted over the steak in the platter.

For the roasting stage, I stood the steaks up on their end bones (something you can't really do unless it's a very thick steak), put a thermometer probe down into the strip and roasted them to 125 degrees in a 350 degree oven.

Thanks for the detail! My steaks are a bit more than 3 inches thick and can stand on end, have been in fact as they waited in the fridge since being purchased a couple of days ago. I like the idea of finishing their cooking with the ambient oven heat able to bathe all sides.

However I have been informed in this interim that the Birthday Boy fancies lighting the old Weber and having his Negroni while presiding over the burn-down and watching the sun set, so no pan, no oven this time.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

[

The finished soup.  I was supposed to take the bay leaf and thyme sprig out before I blended it, but I was so flustered after the blender explosion of the first batch, I completely forgot.  Oh well. a few sprinkes of twigs never hurt anyone.

In my household, we call this fibre. Good for a person. It's all about justification, my dear, and making it sound intentional. (and yes, in my book, sugar can be a veg or fibre, figuring it comes from beets or canes.)

Everything looks wonderful. I'm curious to see what Sam has consumed today outside of a bottle of aspirin and a glass (or several) of water.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

First of all though, I bought one of these last week.  I've used it every day of this blog so far.  Cooking by weight is new for me, but most of the recipes I've used so far have been by weight.

Please tell us more about cooking by weight. Is it easier, harder, or just different? Does it make more of a difference when you're baking rather than cooking?

I was thinking more generally as in ground meat (beef, pork, chicken, turkey), to give them more options. This would go well with a modified vegetarian meal, where the produce has the prominent role instead of the meat. And I would limit the ground meat to about 1/2 lb. Is that enough of a challenge for a carnivore?

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

volleyblog approach

Good categorization Rebel Rose!

I agree, eggs and ground beef are excellent ideas. Some kind of casserole maybe? (I don't make casseroles, growing up outside of the mid-west I think I am genetically handicapped in that arena :sad: )

Perhaps since it has/will be such an intensely rich cook-off something light and vegetarian, as previously suggested, does make sense. Perhaps our fearless bloggers would appreciate that? Or fruit. :hmmm:

Eggs & Veggies. Not tofu since Kathleen doesn't like that and since she does dishes (my hero! will you marry me???) she gets a major say in what is cooked!

BTW Marlene, thanks so much for including the mistakes as well! It helps to know we are all just human after all :raz:

gallery_8505_1301_81993.jpg

Here's the bread pudding just before the custard went on to it.  It's brioche cubes, caramel and Ghirardelli double chocolate chips.  The custard was made from egg yolks, milk and cream.

Anyone who puts chocolate chips instead of raisins in their bread pudding deserves a gold star in my book :biggrin:.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Eggs & Veggies.  Not tofu since Kathleen doesn't like that and since she does dishes (my hero!  will you marry me???) she gets a major say in what is cooked!

You are my new best friend, both for the compliment and the tofu. If you're rich, I'll even marry you.:laugh:

Sam is, I'm sure, about to post pix of dinner, which was delicious. I'm absolutely stuffed and can't believe I'm about to go get some leftover bread pudding...but I am, oh, I am.:wub: :wub:

K

Edited to cast a vote for meatloaf and to say that yes, now I AM way too full and I may barf, but it was worth it.

Edited by bergerka (log)

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Nothing fancy tonight. And light. We definitely wanted something light.

First, though, a drink. . .

gallery_8505_1301_74710.jpg

This is the Pear Martini from Blue Ribbon. 2 ounces Belle de Brillet, 1 ounce citrus vodka, 1 ounce fresh line juice.

gallery_8505_1301_24559.jpg

In the glass and garnished.

For dinner tonight, we made "hot soup featuring garlic" as the main event. In this case, it was what I call "faux pho" -- bean sprouts, slivered garlic, boiled short ribs, cilantro, scallion, garlic chive and pieces of paper thin lime with hot beef broth poured over.

gallery_8505_1301_9302.jpg

gallery_8505_1301_41634.jpg

Just what the doctor ordered after a night of overindulgence.

--

My vote for the mystery basket is to go vegetarian. While I am not a vegetarian personally, I have always had fun on several occasions doing a 4 or 5 course vegetarian tasting menu.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

I'm loving that cocktail shaker.

After this week, I may never eat again!

Marlene

My vote for the mystery basket is to go vegetarian.  While I am not a vegetarian personally, I have always had fun on several occasions doing a 4 or 5 course vegetarian tasting menu.

A vegetarian tasting menu? :blink: Oh dear. My household would go into shock. :biggrin:

Marlene

On the one hand I'd say go vegetarian .... am I the only one who has noticed a large amount of meat already?

On the other hand, the people doing the eating obviously enjoy meat.

How about the meatloaf... with a twist? Make it chicken or turkey... or something non-traditional?

I looooove Charbay vodka. I haven't actually seen it in NYC, only when I am out in SF.

Is it actually available here in NYC?

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin