• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bakery House

shacke

Just in case some of my fellow suburbanites have not come across this wonderful place, The Bakery House is located in Bryn Mawr on Lancaster Ave just a stone's throw from Foodsource. I stopped by there today after picking up fiddleheads - ah spring! Very unassuming storefront with some serious delectables within.

I discovered this place about 2 years ago after I had birthday cake at one of the multitude of kiddy parties I am forced to attend. Always expecting the same old banal supermarket spongebob, I was surprised how good their butter cake was. I immediately got the info from the parents and headed on over.

Their cakes and pastries are pretty high end but not european - not much flaky brioche items and the like. Mostly american fare. Their cakes are pretty dense, packed with far more butter than the average bakery's cakes. The prices reflect it so don't get sticker shock although getting a cupcake for the kids is only about $1.50. The yellow cake, imho, outshines chocolate hands down.

I have not tried everything in there but what I have eaten has been very good. If you are a fellow suburban egulleter - and I know you are out there - give them a try. I have yet to try the brownies since the traditional ones only come in an entire pan size (maybe 8 healthy servings) and I am not that suicidal to tackle it myself. To me, the brownie is the barometer of a bakery but I already know I like this place regardless.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

They make really good pies. On Thanksgiving someone brought us an apple pie and an apple walnut caramel (?) pie from The Bakery House and they were great. I think the name of the place needs some work, though. Reminds me of "Birthday House" a kiddie show when I was growing up.

Yes, an admirable American baker; cannot compare to some some Philly standouts, but adequate for us Main Liners.

Still, despite some mediocre items, they do bake the best Banana Muffins in the area. They have a granola top with some nuts thrown in, and great natural banana flavor. Pick one up.

Yes, an admirable American baker; cannot compare to some some Philly standouts, but adequate for us Main Liners.

Still, despite some mediocre items, they do bake the best Banana Muffins in the area. They have a granola top with some nuts thrown in, and great natural banana flavor. Pick one up.

American indeed. Their rich basic yellow cake they use reminds me of Magnolia Bakery in NYC. I say "reminds" because that is cupcake heaven for which there is no equal.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Nice post, Shacke. I've been an occasional but steady customer at the Bakery House since first moving to the area over ten years ago. In that time, they've never been nor tried to be a patisserie nor do they practice "high pastry art." Their forte is excellent down-home baking, plain and simple. Lots of eggs, lots of butter, lots of sugar and lots of love. Simple, good quality ingredients. Prices may appear high at first glance but I think the end product justifies the cost.

I'd have to give highest marks to their pies -- particularly the deep dish apple and just about any of the berry pies. That said, they make a damn tasty coconut cake, very respectable jewish apple cake and cinnamon coffee cake, and a delightfully savory Bay State muffin.

Nice post, Shacke.  I've been an occasional but steady customer at the Bakery House since first moving to the area over ten years ago.  In that time, they've never been nor tried to be a patisserie nor do they practice "high pastry art." Their forte is excellent down-home baking, plain and simple.  Lots of eggs, lots of butter, lots of sugar and lots of love.  Simple, good quality ingredients.  Prices may appear high at first glance but I think the end product justifies the cost.

I'd have to give highest marks to their pies -- particularly the deep dish apple and just about any of the berry pies.  That said, they make a damn tasty coconut cake, very respectable jewish apple cake and cinnamon coffee cake, and a delightfully savory Bay State muffin.

Welcome aboard David and don't be a stranger, particularly on the wine thread!

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped by yesterday on the basis of all of these recommendations and boy, is this place good. I forgot to check out the things that had specifically been recommended (all I could remember from the thread was that the apple pies were good) but the blueberry crumb bar (? It's cut in squares like a lemon bar and has a streusel-like topping), chicken pot pie (excellent flaky crust), and chocolate cake were all good. Normally, I'm not a big fan of chocolate cake, but this stuff is dense and on the dark side. Yum. I also got a carrot cake muffin, which is still sitting in the fridge (it looks good...but I figured I should control myself). They had lots of samples out, too, which is always nice. I'll be back to check out the pies, the other cakes, the brownies, and almost everything else. Thanks for the tip!

David (or anyone else): What is a Bay State muffin? I'm imagining something similar to a popover.

David (or anyone else): What is a Bay State muffin? I'm imagining something similar to a popover.

From the Citizen Information Service website of the great state of Massachusetts:

State Muffin

The schoolchildren of Massachusetts petitioned for the Corn Muffin, a staple of New England cooking, and the Legislature made it official in 1986.

Who knew? Not I, that's who.

From the Citizen Information Service website of the great state of Massachusetts:

State Muffin

The schoolchildren of Massachusetts petitioned for the Corn Muffin, a staple of New England cooking, and the Legislature made it official in 1986.

Who knew? Not I, that's who.

Nice scruffy detective work - and Yo Fenton! What's with the new signature? Can you decode it for us?

Evan

Edited by shacke (log)

Dough can sense fear.