• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ever drink rotgut to get better at tasting faults?

mbanu

I've noticed that my experience with tasting Georgia Moon (*shudder*) has helped me identify certain faults which can crop up in better quality bourbons. It seems as though it could work with all spirits, assuming that one had a quality version to begin from as a basepoint, to avoid mistaking the cheap stuff for being good.

Am I on the right track, or am I simply being a masochist?

I've noticed that my experience with tasting Georgia Moon (*shudder*) has helped me identify certain faults which can crop up in better quality bourbons. It seems as though it could work with all spirits, assuming that one had a quality version to begin from as a basepoint, to avoid mistaking the cheap stuff for being good.

Am I on the right track, or am I simply being a masochist?

I think it's fairly common in the wine tasting world to purposefully try wines that are corked, oxidized, etc. in order to be able to identify those faults. So it seems to me that you're on the right track (as well as being a masochist :smile: )

Mike

After smoking a really good cigar (Montecristo or some of the first Bahia Golds) I was completely ruined for normal cigars. What used to satisfy us became dog turds. In a way we were sad we had the pleasure of herfing down such gems. Does this make sense to anyone else? Does this also happen with wines?

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.