• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vij's Waiting Times

After much prodding, I was able to get Mr. Snacky_Cat to come up with a restaurant he wanted to go to for his birthday dinner (30!) - Vij's. We both love the food, but have rather different opinions re: the invariable wait...

I love it - you get to throw back a bunch of drinks at the bar and nosh on all the free snacks your gut can handle. He hates it; granted his first and only experience with it was a Saturday night at 7:30, with its attendant 90min wait.

So, we'll be there on a Friday night in a couple of weeks' time, and - since it his special day and all - will forego my usual 7:30 arrival and pakora-foraging in the lounge. So, what time is ideal to arrive and not have to worry too much about the wait? I was thinking 6:30 - the 5:30 waiting-for-the-doors-to-open crew will be finishing up, so the wait should be comparatively short, non?

I should mention too that I refuse to go before 6. I have a bizarre aversion to early dinners (except when they are the French sort that start at 3pm and last until 11pm).

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

My suggestion?  Ply hubby with liquor.  The time will fly by!

Tried that last time, Daddy-A, and no such luck :biggrin: Something about having to stand and wait in cramped little space inspires furious anger in Mr Cat.

Maybe I'll just give him his present right before dinner so he's in a good mood, then do the liquor trick on top of that... :smile:

Jenn

I think that's a wise plan and then tell him that this was all part of the evening out. "what do you mean you didn't want to wait at the bar...drinking with meeee,? "

Good luck! I've been in your shoes and well, I gave up. :laugh:

Even if you don't want to eat at 5:30 - don't arrive at 6:30 - there will be a huge waiting list already.

I went a few weeks ago and got there at 6:00 and it was very full already. I got a table (barely) - and even I as we were ordering, I could hear Vikram telling people that the wait would be about 90 mins from that point onwards. People were eating next door at his other place instead.

Could you incorporate the south granville thing into the evening - you know, get your name down ASAP and then hit some of the stores or galleries in the area? Then come back at a time you want to eat at - and you would be at the top of the list. Work out something with the host/hostess before you do your walkabout.

I attended a birthday party there a few weeks ago on a Friday night. We were a group of 8, so we arrived at 4:30. We were first in line and got our choice of tables. By 5 pm, there was a line down the sidewalk past the door to Rangoli. Oddly, people kept walking right up to us, as we were leaning on the door and saying 'Are you in line for Vij?'. Very wierd. No, we are just leaning here on this door hoping all those other people will tell us what all the fuss is about. Geeez. Anywho...the place filled up immediately, and there was a 90 minute wait after that, huge crowd, could barely get to the bathrooms. Go early, and don't worry, they will bring the pakora bucket to the table.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

What about later in the evening? How are waits around 8:30/9pm?

The bar-at-West idea got me thinking about the progressive dinner concept. Start with drinks at West (can do you small plates at the bar? Maybe we could get in a few bites in there), go down the street to Vij's for dinner, then downtown for cake eating and champagne drinking with friends at Casa del Cat.

Jenn

What about later in the evening? How are waits around 8:30/9pm? 

The bar-at-West idea got me thinking about the progressive dinner concept. Start with drinks at West (can do you small plates at the bar? Maybe we could get in a few bites in there), go down the street to Vij's for dinner, then downtown for cake eating and champagne drinking with friends at Casa del Cat.

Don't know when the wait dies down at Vij's later in the evening, but you can definitely do small plates at the bar at West. You could also do small plates at the bar at Cru, then Vij's, and dessert afterwards at West - they're amazing.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Just had to throw my hat in here ... dessert and after dinner drinks at West would be sublime, I am hoping I get this for my birthday - or something equally worthy! So, I would be inclined to follow the concept of name on list at Vij's, walk around / drink somewhere either West or Cru (hint cocktail at West or glass of wine at Cru) small plates at either to stave of hunger then Vij's for the main event etc. If you are having cake chez Cat with friends, that is planned ... depending on numbers you might want to just move that down to West. If they have resurrected the passion fruit suffle :wub: (sp?) then this should be on your list!

p.s. if you are coming to this chez Cat can you let me know which night so that I can bake the requisite birthday cake?! :biggrin:

Edited by SushiCat (log)

If they have resurrected the passion fruit suffle  :wub: (sp?) then this should be on your list!

Holy sublime desserts Batman! West's passionfruit souffle with white chocolate creme anglaise is one of my favourite things on this earth. Ever.

:wub:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg