• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Port tasting and Dinner

jackal10

Cambridge wine (http://www.cambridgewine.co.uk) hosted their annual Grand St Georges Day Port tasting last night - the Colleges buy a lot of port.

Grand indeed, with 44 ports, and an additional 15 2003 cask samples.

Since there was also a seperate Charles Taylor Wines (http://www.charlestaylorwines.com) tasting of 2004 clarets (don't bother), yesterday was busy.

Here are the cask samples, including a 2003 Quinta de Nova Nacional. This extremely rare port is from prephyloxera vines, and is only declared in an exceptional year, which 2003 has all the makings of being. Definately the star, but at around $250/bottle, and 20 years or so before its ready to drink, I doubt if I'll be buying any.

gallery_7620_135_4368.jpggallery_7620_135_1356.jpg

This illustrates an issue. Since there are perfectly respectable aged ports available (for example a Croft 1977 at £35.73 was shown), it makes little sense to buy higher, or even to celler them yourself. I doubt if they will even give much of a return as an investment.

Even better value are second single quinta wines, such as a SWH Quinta de Santa Madalena at £13.80, or a Fonseca "Guimarens" 1986 at £16.06. I know I would prefer 10 bottles of one of these, rather than one of the Nacional, and I might even get to drink them while I can still appreciate them..

After the tasting the was a dinner for friends, including some of the Port trade representives, staff etc.

Some fizz to start with and clean the palate, and Brett Turner, the owner of Cambridge Wine laying up. I provided the breads (Organic wholemeal sourdough miche, with 10% rye and spelt; Onion and Raisin, Bacon and cheddar)

gallery_7620_135_5268.jpggallery_7620_135_4396.jpg

Luke Webster, our chef for the night pouring chilled cucumber soup, with a white port to go with. Note his braces (suspenders) in Magdelene College colours.

gallery_7620_135_6098.jpggallery_7620_135_10206.jpg

Asparagus and Hollandaise, with a Riesling Spatlese. I made the hollandaise.

gallery_7620_135_8374.jpggallery_7620_135_7797.jpg

Don't seem to have pictures for the next course. It was poached salmon, with a chicory and fennel gratin, green salad, accompanied by an interesting Portugese Rose (Niepoort Redoma Rosado 2002 I think) made from the Nacional grapes. This wine is made from the spare must that is run off to allow the grape skins to make a deeper colour.

Desert was Eton Mess (strawberries, crushed meringue and whipped cream), with a Mosacato.

gallery_7620_135_3536.jpggallery_7620_135_2797.jpg