• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nuts!

snowangel

I have a lot of nuts in the freezer. They were fresh when I put them in the freezer, but I had so many, that it seemed the best thing to do. Hazlenuts. Pecans. Cashews.

I'm not real big on sweets, so I'm trying to think of the savory ways to use nuts.

I know about chicken and cashews. Nuts in terrines. Nuts in salads. Nuts in chicken or egg salad. Crushing them perhaps for breading something that won't take so long to cook that the nuts burn. Nuts in stuffing.

What else?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Nuts added to tajines or savory pastry stuffings for briouts such as spinach, pine nuts and raisins. Ground almond sauces.

Ground walnuts added to Korean bbq marinades.

I have some recipes I can post later if you're interested. I have to take the kids to the park now.

I love pecan-crusted anything. I made some pecan-crusted chicken wings which I served with remoulade sauce for my last birthday party. Catfish of course is the Ye Olde Southern pecan-crusted-dish.

Don't discount plain buttered nuts though. They're incredible--so much better than you'd think they could be. Just melt some butter and toss in the nuts in a skillet over medium heat until the nuts are coated and aromatic. Ooh.

A nice pesto. For instance a sweeter nut like a Pecan and Cilantro makes a good Pesto for use with roasted meats.

Breading works great Macadamia nut chicken or Pecan is rather good. Now I normally make a slightly sweet sauce with vinegar & maple syrup and more nuts.

Never trust a skinny chef

If I recall correctly the Soup Nazi recipe for Mullagatawny calls for cashews and Pistachios, but I bet it would be very good with cashews and pecans instead.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

If my mind serves me right, the catalan sauce romesco contains hazelnuts. It's really nice with grilled meats or firm fleshed grilled fish like monkfish or halibut.

For walnuts there is a great ligurian pasta sauce and then there is the middle eastern tarrator sauce.

I've got no recipes at hand right now, but I may post some later if there is any interest.

Christofer Kanljung

You could include hazelnuts or pecans in breakfast-sausage patties, burgers, meatballs and stews.

Saute mushrooms in bacon fat with leeks and garlic, add stock, wine and cream. Simmer. Whirl in blender. Add toasted, crushed hazelnuts and fresh thyme.

Make hazelnut liqueur.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Nuts are great with grains as well, such as in a pilaf or with bulgur.

Doesn't look like you have surfeit of almonds right now, but one of my favorite simple pilaf recipes uses broken up vermicelli sauteed in butter until lightly browned. Then add rice a toast a little more. Add chicken stock, rice and salt and cook until done. Garnish with toasted almonds. This would surely be good w/other nuts as well.

Lots of good savory recipes using ground nuts from India, the Middle East (Wolfert books are a great resource) and Spain as well.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"