• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philadelphia Theme Party

here's how i do it (and keep in mind here that this procedure isn't exactly 'authentic' but since you're using a different cut of meat to start with, this approximates the flavor)...

Dagnabit, I'm hungry now. You bastard, you.

here's how i do it (and keep in mind here that this procedure isn't exactly 'authentic' but since you're using a different cut of meat to start with, this approximates the flavor)...

ha!

well, look at it this way: you and i could just go BUY one, rather than having to approximate the experience in our home kitchens.

p.s. everyone: don't think that i think what i described up there is definitive. if you have better ideas/modifications/more specific recommendations/reasons i'm wrong, have at it!

ha!

well, look at it this way: you and i could just go BUY one, rather than having to approximate the experience in our home kitchens.

p.s. everyone: don't think that i think what i described up there is definitive. if you have better ideas/modifications/more specific recommendations/reasons i'm wrong, have at it!

Yeah, no sympathy from this end of the country. I might post a photo of all my raw meat (picked it up today.) It is a beautiful thing.

Oh, we found the Wishniak soda! It is expensive but I think we are going for it.

And I made one change. This isn't really a philly thing, but I decided to make Tiramisu for dessert. It is italian in any case, and I think the tastykake idea would be funnier with people who know what it's supposed to be. For these kids it is basically sheet cake with cheap ice cream , which is the same thing they get at every department function. (Plus I make a truly kick-ass tiramisu.)

I'm also making the wooder ice, so not all is lost :smile:

Oh, also mbj, (if I may call you that) your recipe sounds a lot like what I did with the pork shoulder. It tasted absolutely incredible. It helped that the thing had a giant cap of fat on top, but hopefully the roast I bought is marbled enough (I didn't go for the pork loin, it was way too lean.)

Just wanted to thank everyone -- the party was a huge success. The last gaggle of guests left around 4am.

I posted some pics and the menu in the dinner thread. But I am especially proud of this one, so I'll post it again :smile:

gallery_17531_173_20688.jpg

You know what I forgot though, music-wise? Mario Lanza!

Here's the link to the post on the dinner thread.

Sounds and looks great; I'm especially in awe of the homemade hoagie rolls!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

man oh man, i can't believe i forgot to check this thread for a couple of days.

Yeah, no sympathy from this end of the country. I might post a photo of all my raw meat (picked it up today.) It is a beautiful thing.

well? did you take one?

I'm also making the wooder ice, so not all is lost  :smile:

how did that turn out? i haven't even really thought about how to go about doing this.

Oh, also mbj, (if I may call you that)

haha, i keep forgetting i don't have my name in there--it's james, or jas, whichever. i really should do something about that.

your recipe sounds a lot like what I did with the pork shoulder. It tasted absolutely incredible. It helped that the  thing had a giant cap of fat on top, but hopefully the roast I bought is marbled enough (I didn't go for the pork loin, it was way too lean.)

your sandwich looks great, and from your report it sounds like a big hit. i was glad to be of help--and i may be out there in early june, so look for me in the heartland forum soon...

man oh man, i can't believe i forgot to check this thread for a couple of days.

well? did you take one?

I'm also making the wooder ice, so not all is lost  :smile:

how did that turn out? i haven't even really thought about how to go about doing this.

I didn't get around to taking a photo of the meat. I guess I should have. Obviously since I was trying to feed a bunch of people I didn't get any photos of the steak sandwiches, either. Those sure went fast.

As far as the water ice -- actually I cheated. It was basically homemade lemon sorbet, tweaked until it tasted right. All the recipes I saw on the web had it as a granita (ie where you scrape the frozen stuff into a slush by hand) but I didn't have time for that plus I remembered Rita's always seemed smoother, like it had been churned. In any case, it came out well and I doubt these kids would have known one way or the other.

I sorta doubt your plans are taking you to my obscure part of central Illinois but if so let me know and I'll take you to Steak & Shake or the Beer Nuts factory or something equally thrilling :smile: