• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Onion rings food category: vegetable or starch?

chef koo

this was inspired after seeing pictures of marlenes onion rings in the fried chicken thread. i was wondering what onion rings are appropriately supposed to be served as; veg or starch. whenever i go out for a burger they're always served on the side just like french fries. but the only starch on them is the batter.

Edited by Smithy
Edited title for clarity (log)

bork bork bork

I say starch. Onion is more flavor than actual veg. Leeks maybe pass as a veg but standard onions, to me, are more like mustard; technically a veg but doesn't fill the veg hole in a meal.

Snozberry. Who ever heard of a snozberry.

-Veruca Salt

I go by color: white or green. Onions are white, like potatoes, rice or pasta, and so should be treated as such. :laugh:

Don't ask me about carrots, corn or eggplant. No system is perfect.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Some diabetic charts have them count as one of each. I think it depends on the type of dietary restrictions you are trying to follow.

Living hard will take its toll...

I'd say starch. Aside from the batter, which if of course pure starch, onions are a much more carb-laden vegetable than most people realize, though a lot of it is more from natural sugars than natural starches.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide