• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Getting Coconut Rice Right

kangarool

Coconut Rice: This should be one of the simplest and easiest things in the world, no more difficult than simply cooking rice, right?

I put together a Nasi Lemak recently, and, as usual, everything turns out well enough except the rice. Something isn’t happening, or more likely, I’m not doing it right. The problem is, I always get a gluggy, stuck together mess that doesn’t look attractive, and tastes like rice sort of stewed in coconut milk, rather than coconut rice. It turns out really thick and sticky, and the individual grains are all pretty much obliterated.

I know the end result is heavier than regular steamed rice ... I’m not looking for, dare I say, "fluffy" rice … just pleasingly separate, reasonably intact grains.

I thought once that it was because I used only coconut milk, and that perhaps some combination of water + c. milk was the answer. I don’t remember what happened, exactly, but I do remember it wasn’t the answer. I think I remember it being still fairly gluggy in texture, but with the flavour thinned compared to cooking it with only C. milk, so it was a step backwards. I’ve also varied the rice (long grain, medium grain, jasmine) all to no avail.

Let me add that my "normal", steamed, jasmine rice comes out exactly right 99 times out of 100. I invariably go the stove-top-absorption method, and it always comes out right.

Here are some possibilities I’ve considered for a remedy, but haven’t had a chance to try yet:

o Coconut cream instead of milk (v. doubtful);

o Flaked/dessicated, unsweetened Coconut, added to normal water/rice

o coconut oil??

One last note: I’m also pretty unsatisfied with texture when cooking rice with stock – not risottos, but pilaf/pilaus, etc. Again, a dense mish mash of rice with a heavy texture that just isn’t right.

What am I missing?

Here's my method for making coconut rice, posted on RecipeGullet: Coconut Rice (without Coconut Milk)

Ah! That could be the answer I'm looking for, thank you Rachel. I should have checked RecipeGullet from the start, I'll give it a try when I get home from work tonight.

One question, "Better than Boullion" ... is that like a liquid equivalent to boullion cubes (I find the cubes pretty useless)? I looked at this site. I don't recall seeing such a thing here (Aussie) on supermarket shelves, but that's not definite.

Does the dessicated coconut disintegrate and then get absorbed into the rice?

thanks again/kanga

It's a moist instant stock base. If you have homemade chicken stock, that's even better, or if you don't want the chicken flavor, just add some salt to the hot water. No, the coconut doesn't disintegrate, it absorbs some water and is there with the rice. It's basically a coconut rice pilaf, the sauteeing of the coconut and rice before adding the liquid adds a nice toastiness to the dish.

I've also made coconut rice with coconut milk, btw. From what you described, it just sounds like you have too much liquid in the pot. You don't add coconut milk to the regular amount of water, you substitute it. Also, in general I find the "recipes" on bags of rice have too much water, usually a 2 to 1 ratio. Approx 1.5-1.75 water to 1 rice usually works better for me, and that includes any sauteed vegetables. In other words, if you're adding some sauteed vegetables, like onions, add less liquid to the pot (not quite equally substituting the amounts, i.e. 1/2 cup diced onion? reduce the liquid about 1/4 cup).