• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Wendy DeBord - Dessert, the most important meal.

Hey Wendy, where's your picture? (hint, hint)  :biggrin:

Ah you know darn well I posted my photo sometime or another in the p & b forum........(hint, it was in photos from last Easters sweet table). I showed you inside my crazy life and brain and thats far more personal then my mug shot.

Did you not see my lovely hand in a couple shots? I'm a real person.

I gotta run for a little while today, it's beautiful outside and I haven't been to the book stores yet today. I'm planning on cooking dinner tonight (don't fall off you seats guys). Hubby requested beef and brocoli stirfry..........I'll post the recipe too, it's really very good.

20 users reading this installment!!!

That's a record, if ever there was one.  :wub:

Soba

Pretty funny, isn't it? There she was worrying that nobody was reading! Look how many views this blog has garnered!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

just wanted to add my thanks too. Wendy, it's awesome that you're so humble, but really, your work is beautiful. don't doubt your talents! :smile:

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

Hey Wendy, where's your picture? (hint, hint)  :biggrin:

Ah you know darn well I posted my photo sometime or another in the p & b forum........(hint, it was in photos from last Easters sweet table). I showed you inside my crazy life and brain and thats far more personal then my mug shot.

Did you not see my lovely hand in a couple shots? I'm a real person.

I gotta run for a little while today, it's beautiful outside and I haven't been to the book stores yet today. I'm planning on cooking dinner tonight (don't fall off you seats guys). Hubby requested beef and brocoli stirfry..........I'll post the recipe too, it's really very good.

I know, I know. I had to try, right?

I'm back from my run to the bookstore.........and I'm a very happy person, even though I now have $30.00 less dollars in my purse.

I bought: Brides Receptions, they have some wedding cakes that interested me, Culinary Trends, ohhhhhh the front cover shows some pastries from the World Pastry Team Championship (I live for these kind of issues), Everyday Food's May edition, BBC's Olive, because they show a black and white twist on meringue cookies (something I haven't ever thought of and now must try) and last of all............I've gone to 3 book stores searching for this one.........Food & Wine, May issue. Why?.........the very last page highlights one of our members here!

Melmek, who is Melissa McKinney had her bakery written up in a NATIONAL magazine. She offers a recipe for raspberry shortbread bars that I can't wait to try............I'm very very proud to be involved in a forum that has such incredible members.

Before my honey gets home from work I thought I'd try to upload some more photos. I'll keep doing so until he arrives, it will keep me away from the M & M's that have been calling my name.........then I'm off to cook dinner.

I had mentioned previously that I made butterflies out of piped chocolate, I found a photo for you to see how I do them. Even though the color of the butterflie is purple it's good white chocolate and not coating chocolate.

gallery_8093_3_10362.jpg

gallery_8093_3_14430.jpg

Here it is on last years Easter buffet.

gallery_8093_3_2578.jpg

This next shot illustrates another use for the joconde cake we've been talking about. The pink pattern is a stenciled pattern on my cake. I then "attempted" to make them look like purses to fit into that Mothers Day buffet I showed you all earilier.

gallery_8093_3_92910.jpg

Here's what it looked like inside.

gallery_8093_3_53425.jpg

I think someone asked me about what these items were several photos ago?

gallery_8093_3_39363.jpg

Think about those cookie bouquets you can buy..........I took that concept and stretched it on the whole length of my last two Easter Buffets. I did purple marshmellow tulips (nightscotsman's recipes), brownie flowers, butterscotch brownie flowers and yellow suckers. This years buffet had orange flavored marshmellows shaped like carrots, and white chocolate popcorn wrapped in celephand to look like carrots too, plus some suckers.

I think the rest of what I uploaded now is just more random stuff......that I ate and served people.

I make all sorts of candies too:

gallery_8093_3_17374.jpg

gallery_8093_3_5559.jpg

gallery_8093_3_116483.jpg

gallery_8093_3_66370.jpg

These are from another sweet table I did on the theme of the nutcracker.

gallery_8093_3_42053.jpg

gallery_8093_3_133715.jpg

gallery_8093_3_304602.jpg

gallery_8093_3_16237.jpg

Oooh are those big clear lollipops? What flavors do you have? For your marshmallows, do you use a cookie cutter? Do you oil it so the sugar doesn't stick too much?

I'm laughing about your reply about your husband thinking you are nuts. I usually watch TV with a cookbook or cooking magazine in my lap. I'm seriously thinking I need a laptop soon so I can TV and eG at the same time!!! :blink:

Make that 13 users reading!

I love how passionate you are about your job and the people you work with, it is so great to see someone who really enjoys what they do. I often read about the difficulties of those who work in the food industry so it is nice to see another perspective. To find a job where you love both the work and the colleagues is truly a gift and inspiring to the rest of us.

I'm laughing about your reply about your husband thinking you are nuts.  I usually watch TV with a cookbook or cooking magazine in my lap.  I'm seriously thinking I need a laptop soon so I can TV and eG at the same time!!!  :blink:

That's what I do EVERY single night - my poor husband. :wink:

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

I'm laughing about your reply about your husband thinking you are nuts.  I usually watch TV with a cookbook or cooking magazine in my lap.  I'm seriously thinking I need a laptop soon so I can TV and eG at the same time!!!  :blink:

That's what I do EVERY single night - my poor husband. :wink:

"My poor husband" does have a laptop and plays online Poker while watching whatever I subject him to (grins evilly, rubbing hands together).

Oooh are those big clear lollipops?  What flavors do you have?  For your marshmallows, do you use a cookie cutter?  Do you oil it so the sugar doesn't stick too much?

I'm seriously thinking I need a laptop soon so I can TV and eG at the same time!!!  :blink:

I make lollipops in many flavors. I use (spelling problemmmmmmm) Boiran (i think) a brand of natural fruit oils that's outstanding and they make far better suckers then the Lorrann oils. I have lemon, orange, tangerine and key lime, but they come in more flavors then that.

Marshmellos, yes I use a cookie cutter and yes I spray it heavily frequently with pan spray.

I need a laptop too! But then you'd all suffer............from my excessive blabber mouth.

To find a job where you love both the work and the colleagues is truly a gift and inspiring to the rest of us.

You won't believe this but I actually live with-in walking distance to my job too. It's like winning the lottery!

But theres a big reason for all this good fortune, seriously. I've spent years working jobs where I had 1 1/2 hour drive each way, spent time where I never thought anyone would offer me a job because there aren't many pastry chef jobs out in the world, worked with people that I knew stole from me, I've worked with people that I wouldn't cross the street to say hello to with-out fear. I've worked in places where I was discriminated against for being a female, discriminated against for being caucasin (see I can't even spell that! that's a curse if ever there was one) worked for chefs that had no business running a kitchen, etc...

So the Karma gods have finally made up for all the torture they put me thru in previous jobs! I do appreciate every single day how lucky I am, but I'm always scared the rug will be pulled out from under me.

What can I say that others have not said already, and with greater eloquence too?

Wendy, I am rendered speechless by your creativity, energy, hard work, generosity and your evident respect for your fellow staff and eGullet members. I am in awe. Thank you so much for sharing.

I did cheat and eat some pistchios while I was blogging before dinner. I didn't take a photo of it because I was just going to hide that piggy fact from you.

I actually did make us dinner. One decent meal out of a weeks worth. Oh wait, I made enough tonight so we'd have left-overs tommarrow, but then I won't get credit for it, so I had to tell you that now. So whew, we'll eat decent two nights this week.

I mentioned that I would post the recipe I use for beef and brocoli. My husband thinks it's better then any Chinesse food that can be purchased in our area (I was supposed to write that for him). I hope someone will give it a try, I do think it's pretty good. It's probably more American/Chinesse so any Asians reading along might laugh at this recipe.

I've changed the orginial recipe enough that I feel comfortable calling it mine now. Just in case your interested the original recipe came out of "Chinesse Cooking Class Cookbook" by the editors of Consumer Guide, published by Beekman House in 1980. They titled the orginial recipe, Satay Beef. Theres actually several recipe in this book that I've made that turned out quite nice, I'd reccomend buying this book if you ever come across it. It's certainly not an impressive book by a big name chef, but the recipes they have as every bit as good.

Wendys Beef & Brocoli:

Mix together:

6 tbsp. h20

1 tbsp. cornstarch

1 tbsp. terriaki sauce (or soy sauce)

4 tsp. sesame oil

This will marinate your meat. I always use tenderloin, but I suppose you could use a cheaper cut.

2 lbs. tenderloin

In another bowl, small sized mix these ingredients together, they will make your sauce later:

4 tbsp. h20

4 tsp. terriaki sauce

2 tbsp. rice wine (NOT rice wine vinagar!)

2 tbsp. hosin sauce

2 tbsp. oyster sauce

1 1/2 tsp. curry powder (I use mild, but you could use hot)

1 tsp. sugar (don't omit this, the sauce won't be right with-out it)

set the sauce aside while you cut up your vegetables.

1 meduim onion, large chop

2 cloves garlic, minced (fresh not jarred stuff)

bok choy (you can use as little or as much as you like, I probably use 1/2 lb.), cut into rough chunks

brocolli (maybe one typical bunch from the grocery store, aprox. 1 lb.), cut into florets, and blanched briefly.

I saute my onions first in some cannola oil, as they get softer I add the vegetables according to what needs the most cooking to the least. So it's onions, bok choy (the heavy white stems first), broccoli then the green tops of the bok choy. I under cook this because it's going to continue cooking/steaming during the time I prepare the rest of the ingredients. I just set it in a metal bowl uncovered.

I turn my heat up to high and sear/saute my tenderloin. Again I want to slightly undercook it because I'm going to set it aside too while I make my sauce. I season by tenderloin with cracked pepper and sea salt. When it's done to your premature likings, set it aside (I put it ontop of my veg,'s cause I don't like extra dishes). * (this is important: When you place your meat in the pan, DO NOT dump the marinade in with it. If you do, your meat will NOT sear/cook properly, it will boil in the liquid. Before I put my meat into my pan I drain the marinade into my other bowl of sauce, keeping the good flavor left from the marinade, As meat begins to saute/sear in your pan it will extrude juices. I stop about 3 times during the cooking process to drain off that juice. If you leave that juice the meat will boil in it and not sear. I do discard those drippings.)

Back to my frying pan I add just a tiny bit of oil and saute my freshly minced garlic. This only takes but a moment or two, because over cooked garlic tastes bitter and you don't want that.

On top of the garlic in my pan I dump the sauce I made earilier. I bring that up to a boil to thicken. Add back my veg.'s and meat, stir to coat and serve on Chinesse rice.

Here's how it looked while I made it: (oh, i need to add that I don't have a wok. I keep meaning to buy one but get distracted by purchasing baking equipment instead. This cooks just fine in a frying pan, turn your heat up so it resembles the fast cooking of the wok.)

gallery_8093_3_85044.jpg

gallery_8093_3_68363.jpg

The meat marinating.

gallery_8093_3_104127.jpg

The sauce that finished the dish.

gallery_8093_3_142140.jpg

gallery_8093_3_103.jpg

gallery_8093_3_111904.jpg

oh the frying pan is too small, but it's the biggest I currently own. normally I'd be making half this amount...........but instead of dividing this into 2 batches (hey it's my day off) I just cooked it all at once. Don't do that, do as I say not as I do.

gallery_8093_3_51761.jpg

gallery_8093_3_68128.jpg

so now I'm putting this into a bowl to set aside while I finish the rest.

gallery_8093_3_92993.jpg

gallery_8093_3_143018.jpg

gallery_8093_3_44463.jpg

gallery_8093_3_78180.jpg

finishing the sauce.

gallery_8093_3_153828.jpg

gallery_8093_3_8908.jpg

gallery_8093_3_90826.jpg

then eat. wouldn't you know my last shot and the meat looks anemic, sorry.

gallery_8093_3_57415.jpg

I do want to dearly thank everyone who stopped by and read this blog. It's good to know I wasn't alone! I do appreciate everyones praise. I'll try not to let my head swell, but you've all touched me with your kind words.

o.k. so now I begin my last post to my blog. If I was a writer I'd come up with some great ending............but I'm not a writer, bummer.

I can't end my pastry blog doing a savory meal so I have one last thought to keep you all reading. Since I don't have children I'll have to post some more animal photos. Could you see this coming?

After we ate dinner the cat begged to go for a stroll around the yard.

This cat:

gallery_8093_3_1504.jpg

It's become a daily habit and something he looks forward to all day. How do I know that? He sits by the front door and meow's so loud so often, it drives you crazy enough that the only way you can shut him up is to do what he wants. Once he goes for a stroll he doesn't meow again until the next evening when he wants a stroll.

I can add this (in a food blog) because dukie always eats as much as he can during these outtings. He caved in easily and wears a red leash while he strolls his property. He knows it the leash or he stays inside.

gallery_8093_3_104212.jpg

he loves his catnip.

gallery_8093_3_67962.jpg

this is now one heavily intoxicated cat...........all nipped up.

gallery_8093_3_5437.jpg

he's parinoid that someone will sneek up on him while he's drunk.

gallery_8093_3_78376.jpg

bathtime.

gallery_8093_3_117031.jpg

and let the camera into my life fade as we check out a picture of my dwarf apple tree about to burst into bloom. Notice the sun is setting in the background..........how's that for luck!

gallery_8093_3_37803.jpg

oops........I forgot something.

If anyone would like to talk further about any of the topics I've mentioned during my blog.......I'd be more then happy to talk about the subject in another forum. You can always find me thru our private messaging system and or see me in the Pastry & Baking Forum.

Good night!

Wendy-

I know I will not be alone in thanking you for your blog. I was impressed by your work, humbled by your honesty and generosity to share so much detail with me (us) and bummed that your blog is over! But as they say leave 'em wanting more!

thanks again!!

-pattycakes.

I hope you are ready for a lot more questions about your work on the PB forum!

Time to close the door on another glorious foodblog. We thank you all for your participation, and well... I hope it doesn't imply any lack here to say that you ain't seen nothin' yet.

As Wendy says, discussion can indeed continue in the appropriate topics in our Pastry & Baking Forum. We don't want anything as specific as a "Wendy's blog" type topic (that's just redundant), but rather we'd like to see you all contribute to the forum as a whole, and Wendy, I know, will keep her eyes peeled for references to things she's said here. And if you don't see an existing topic on something, make a new one.

Thanks all, and goodnight.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"