• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best mignonette with raw oysters

Memo

I'd like to hear about favorite oysters-on-the-halfshell haunts in Vancouver and Victoria.

I particularly enjoy a good mignonette accompaniment - not salsas or thick sauces - to complement the oyster's brine.

On Vancouver Island, where I live, my three faves are: Brasserie L'ecole (try the Effinghams), Fire & Water at the Marriott, and - surprisingly - the Irish Times Pub on Government St. (their mignonette incorporates Guinness).

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

not that this is about mignonette, but if you can throw together a good one on your own and live in the bay area, make a beeline for hog island oysters in marin county straight up hwy 1. go at sunset, and if you can swing it do so on a weekday when there are no people and no $10 fees for picnic tables. really laid back, you can grill there, and the oysters are literally picked out of the water in front of you, no laying-on-ice-for-god-knows-how-long. dude named carson who works there is extremely cool, pour him a glass of the wine you've brought with you (they've got glasses there) and he will pontificate on oysters for hours, or just leave you at peace if you prefer that. if you don't want to make the trip (which is worthwhile even w/o the oyster incentive, it's gorgous driving through there) you can still get the oysters at the Hog Island Oyster Bar in the excellent Ferry Plaza building. Doesn't have the charm of Carson or Tomales Bay though....

--------------------------------------------

Nathalie Jordi

nathalie.jordi@nealsyarddairy.co.uk

http://www.nathaliebouffe.com

Well, they have a constantly changing selection of oysters, mostly BC sourced - but also from the east coast and elsewhere.

For me the litmus test of oyster bars is the oyster bar at Shaw's Crab House in Chicago - and although Rodney's is not quite there - it does it's very best.

I think we will probably never have "royster the oyster" festivals in this part of the world - and it is unlikely that we will find sawdust on the floors, ice cold Ketel One served in pitchers and Buddy Guy sitting at the counter next to you at Rodney's - but still, Rodney's is the best glimpse of this idiom that we are ever likely to have in this town.

I really enjoyed the oysters when I was at Parkside. His mignonette was perfect, as always. Andrey and Jason and the entire crew there have such an excellent grasp of how to purely enjoy great food in a very honest way.

Owner

Winebar @ Fiction

Lucy Mae Brown

Century - modern latin -

I always heard that the oysters up at the Bearfoot Bistro in Whistler were the best.....

Never tried them myself..... folklore perhaps?

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Rodney's is very good although I am surprised that so many Vancouverites like their oysters served up with a Toronto attitude. And yes Neil, the marinated mussels are to die for. (try the pickled quahogs next) The chef there is Jan Kiss and was the original chef at the original Rodney's in Toronto and came up with both those dishes. Neil, we used to hand out the marinated mussels at the one in Toronto for free when the lineup for seats at the bar would get too long. Ahhh, the old school days.

Stafford and Todd do an excellent job of servicing the oyster but sometimes the surliness gets on my nerves.

Joe Forte's also does an excellent job with the oyster as well. Their wine list is very well put together and their oyster shuckers (Oyster Bob and Oyster Todd) do a fine job at their horseshoe bar.

I am very surprised that there are not more oyster bars in Vancouver as the selection and freshness of the product available is among the very best in the world and British Columbians should be very proud of the bivalves coming from their coastal waters.

Migonettes, I like a couple myself. My fave is red wine vinegar, minced shallots, freshly cracked black pepper and a dollop of honey to take the edge off the acidity.

Balsamic vinegar with minced shallots and black pepper is also good and you can omit the honey as it is sweet enough on its own.

I wouldn't eat an European Flat or Belon oyster without it as the acidity really sweetens the metallic finish you get from those oysters.

The oyster bar at the Bearfoot Bistro in Whistler.............

Well, what can I say? A dozen oysters for 9.95 before 7:00 p.m. and you always get a selection of 3 or 4 different kinds with an explanation of each type and the freshest I have ever tasted.

That wins it for me but I could be biased. :biggrin:

Good choice for a thread!

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

A dozen oysters for 9.95 before 7:00 p.m. and you always get a selection of 3 or 4 different kinds with an explanation of each type and the freshest I have ever tasted.

That wins it for me but I could be biased. 

Holy Crap Batman !

I am so there the next time I am inWhistler. That only buys me 3 - 4 in town.

N

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Bearfoot Bistso was also my best oyster experience ever.

The price (before 7pm), the absolute quality, and the many fine Champagnes on offer make for a pretty great oyster orgy.

I am very surprised that there are not more oyster bars in Vancouver as the selection and freshness of the product available is among the very best in the world and British Columbians should be very proud of the bivalves coming from their coastal waters.

I can't agree with you more! When you go to major seafood restaurants in the states you always see BC oysters on their menu so clearly we are known for our product yet there are not enough restaurants out here that serves them...

I would love to see oysters served with a light yuzupon sauce (ponzu sauce with a hint of yuzu). FYI...there's a thread in the Japan forum about yuzu: yuzu and other citrus

It's been a couple of months since I was in Whistler but Four Seasons Whistler's restaurant Fifty Two 80 had a raw bar where they were shucking oysters on the spot. Great room, pricey food as you can imagine but that's expected at Four Seasons. I wonder if they were able to establish a local following there...

ahh where's the button for the fries?

Thanx Paul!

A good champagne migonette topped with a sprinkling of good (I prefer sevruga myself) caviar with a chilled glass of bubbly is best.

The closest to sex on a bar you can get without being arrested in my(humble and not so virgin eyes).

Keep on shucking.

Oyster Guy

P.s. 5280 Bistro in the 4 Seasons does a very nice job servicing the oyster and has a knowledgable staff and is worth the walk to the upper village while in Whistler.

I hope to see them established as a locals as well as high end oyster place.

Eat Oysters, love longer!!!!! :biggrin:

Eleanor Clark

C restaurant has a long (sp?) pepper and eucalyptus mignonette that is out of this world. Fragrant, slightly acidic and lip-smacking good.

Long peppers are tiny peppers from Asia that look like little elongated acorns with a skin of an anteater. Have never been brave enough to try one on it's own. They use a little mirin in the mignonette as well which adds the necessary acidity. With the oysters there is also a small bowl of fantastic chipotle pepper relish.

The 2 Roberts (Clark and Belcham) of C restaurant are Gods. I will definitely be a regular at the unfortunately-named new restaurant that the C boys are opening soon.

I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you went in and had a lean at the leaning bar and just sucked back a few oysters. Committing to a whole meal at C can be a heavy financial blow.

Bob McLeod

VOX BACCULUS HIC VADIS IN VITRIO JUBILIAM

The road goes on forever and the party never ends

Although I do like the occasional condiment on my oysters, I have to say the best way to have them is au naturel.

It is already nature's most perfect food as it just comes out of the sea, you open it and eat it. You don't have to put any heat to it or "fancy" it up any.

You really only need 2 things to enjoy your oysters and they both begin with "L".

Lemon and your lips!

As an old oyster shucking buddy of mine always said, "I like my oysters the way I like my women. Naked and wet!" :biggrin:

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

Eleanor Clark

• 3 weeks later...

Had a revelatory raw-oyster experience last week - at Victoria's recently-opened Rosemeade Dining Room. Chef Richard Luttman served Cortes Island oysters under a champagne & shiso ice (a most fragrant, subtly-sweet granita). Wow!

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Last summer, we served our oysters with a champagne and honeydew granita.

The honeydew dovetailed nicely with the natural cucumber/watermelon finish of the West Coast oysters and the slight acidity of the champagne added a nice little bite to it.

Quite nice for oysters in the summer.

Oyster Guy

Eleanor Clark