• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Electric Skillets

Marlene

OK, I'm giving up on this quest for a variety of reasons (exorbitant cost of the piece, lack of confidence in the used base), and today I saw this Rival skillet at Target for $50. Does anyone have experience with this? I'd be using it almost exclusively for frying chicken, hushpuppies, etc., so I'm most interested in how it maintains the temperature of fry oil.

I bought one of these last year (I actually bought 3 electric skillets in December). I'm not crazy about it and it's my least favourite of all of them. It doesn't get hot enough for me, and as pointed out, it doesn't heat evenly. The one good point is that it's easy to clean. Just lift it out and into the dishwasher. But I'm more concerned with the cooking than the washing.

I have a GE that I've been using for a few years and like a lot - and a Black and Decker that I'm happy with.