• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fear of bunnies

Abra

Yesterday I cooked my first rabbit, a feat which I undertook with great trepidation. It was for a gathering of Seattle eG members you can read about it here.

But before the dinner came the moment of facing up to three pitiful, frozen bunnies. If you suffer bunny-squeamishness, just quit this thread right now!

I Googled around a bit and found some pictures on bunny butchering techniques. Here my bunnies are in their original form, sans fur.

gallery_16307_1043_49357.jpg

I see lots of bones and little meat, plus an unfamiliar anatomy. Eek! A few deep breaths and lots of whacks with a good, sharp knife later, the bunnies were reduced to this

gallery_16307_1043_22055.jpg

I set aside the rib cages for making broth, in which I would later cook the saffron potatoes that were to be one of the side dishes for the dinner

gallery_16307_1043_31019.jpg

makings for bunny broth. I did this in the pressure cooker. While it was cooking I made a little pate out of the livers, with shallots and Armagnac added for additional interest. Then I browned the bunny bits

gallery_16307_1043_74286.jpg

spread them with Dijon mustard, and let them snuggle up to some fennel stalks for old times' sake.

gallery_16307_1043_123832.jpg

I covered the bunny with a layer of sauteed onions, garlic, fennel, and bacon slivers, then poured an entire bottle of pastis over all. That's a lot of pastis! Once braised, I thought the sauce was way too intense, so I turned some of it into a pastis and cream reduction to drizzle over the finished bunny.

gallery_16307_1043_59824.jpg

Rabbit with Pastis and Mustard, plus saffron potato gratin (cooked in the rabbit broth, no cream) and assorted springtime vegetables. Really yum, so long as you like pastis.

So, now that I've overcome my Bunny Anxiety, what's your favorite bunny dish?

Abra, what a *gorgeous* dinner!

I'm looking forward to reading other people' bunny recipes.......I just found some frozen rabbit in my grocery store!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Mmm, rabbit. What chicken aspires to. Your prep looks great.

While it lends itself to roasting (especially boned and stuffed), grilling and frying, not to mention the various types of rabbit charcuteries, my favourite way of preparing rabbit is braising. In another thread, I listed some winners:

With prunes, pearl onions and lardons

With white wine, mushrooms, mustard and thyme

With Pineau des Charentes

With celery, vinegar, olives and capers

With red peppers

With cream and dijon mustard

With red wine, tomatoes, pine nuts, saffron and orange peel

With white wine, anchovies and capers

With carrots, leeks and green beans

With preserved lemons and garlic

With cider

With tarragon and cream

With bacon or ham and brandy

With choucroute

With green or red cabbage

With beer

With walnuts

Niçoise style (eggplants, zucchini, red peppers, tomatoes)

Sicilian style (parsnips, celery, pine nuts, golden raisins, fennel seed, vinegar and chocolate)

Cacciatore style

If you'd like detailed descriptions or, in many cases, recipes, say the word. For example, here's the recipe for the first on my list. See also here.

Rabbit with mustard cream sauce. I made it for my family the last time I was in France. My wife was shocked that my then 6 year old niece ate it with delight. My American born and raised 6 year old won't eat something so cute and furry. Although to her credit she likes fish with the head on.

Carswell's list is terrific.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

My favorite is French style with mustard sauce. I've also taken the leftovers and turned them into a wonderful soup with wild rice.

BTW, when I was in France and bought fresh rabbit, the butcher asked if I wanted the blood, too. I said no, because I didn't know what to do with it (and had other plans for the rabbit anyway). If I had gotten the blood, how should I have used it?

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I am anxious to do rabbit again but I see it lying on ice at the meat counter and don't usually end up there on the day I want to cook it! I gather it is very perishable?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I am anxious to do rabbit again but I see it lying on ice at the meat counter and don't usually end up there on the day I want to cook it!  I gather it is very perishable?

My butcher receives his rabbits on Wednesday or Thursday. I usually shop on Saturday. Well wrapped in plastic and stored in a cold fridge, they're fine for Sunday dinner. I think I've waited as long as Tuesday, though at that point the meat was getting a little high. In any case, rabbit doesn't strike me as any more perishable than chicken. And in a pinch you can freeze it.

I am anxious to do rabbit again but I see it lying on ice at the meat counter and don't usually end up there on the day I want to cook it!  I gather it is very perishable?

My butcher receives his rabbits on Wednesday or Thursday. I usually shop on Saturday. Well wrapped in plastic and stored in a cold fridge, they're fine for Sunday dinner. I think I've waited as long as Tuesday, though at that point the meat was getting a little high. In any case, rabbit doesn't strike me as any more perishable than chicken. And in a pinch you can freeze it.

Thanks! Might be a bunny on the table in the very near future!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Several people, myself included, have referred to lapin à la moutarde, so here's an unusual twist on the theme. I've adapted the recipe from one in the long out-of-print Cuisine de nos provinces. The twist is in the method, with the cream added in stages and the mustard saved until the end. The name refers to the Pays de Caux, a region of Normandy, whence the butter and cream. Don''t be put off by the quantity of butter, by the way; it's discarded after the rabbit is browned.

The classic accompaniment is sautéed or french fried potatoes. Buttered fresh noodles showered with chopped fresh thyme and chives also work. The wine of choice would be a supple red such as a Beaujolais, a gamay or fruity cabernet franc from the Loire or an easy-going pinot noir.

Lapin à la cauchoise

1 rabbit, cut into 7 or 8 pieces.

4 tablespoons butter

6 tablespoons crème fraîche or heavy cream

3 tablespoons Dijon mustard

3/4 cup (200 ml) dry white wine

2 large shallots, peeled and finely chopped

Salt and pepper

1. In a large sauté pan or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. When the foam begins to subside, add the rabbit pieces and brown on all sides. As the pieces finish browning, transfer them to a plate.

2. When all the rabbit pieces are browned, discard all the cooking fat. Return the pan to the burner, turn the heat to low and add 3 tablespoons cream, scraping the bottom of the pan to free the tasty brown bits. Return the rabbit pieces to the pan, turning them 2 or 3 times to coat them with the cream. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Cover the pan and simmer gently for 10 minutes.

3. When the 10 minutes are up, add 1 tablespoon cream to the pan and turn the rabbit. Cover and continue cooking for 10 minutes. Add another tablespoon of cream, turn the rabbit and simmer for another 10 minutes. Add the last tablespoon of cream and simmer for 5 minutes more.

4. Using a whisk, mix together the mustard, wine and shallots and pour the mixture into the pan. Turn the rabbit pieces again, cover and simmer gently for 15 or 20 minutes. Correct the seasoning. Serve immediately.

Four servings