• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner with friends

Florida Jim

Bernard and Samantha Roth were in town for a little business and to visit a friend so we all got together for dinner.

With red lentil spread and crackers, we opened the N/V Marques de Monistrol, Cava Brut Reserva which is an elegant sparkler that is both citric and slightly yeasty on the nose, with similar, crisp flavors and a fine bead. Having not seen the bottle, Bernie thought it might be N/V Blanc de Blanc, Champagne, and it could surely pass for such.

(BTW, Bernie, if you read this, I think I told you this was made of chardonnay – my bad. Rather, it is a blend of macabeo, parellada and xarel-lo.)

With grilled duck breast and grilled vegetables on cous-cous, we had two wines; first, the 2002 Drouhin, Chorey-les-Beaune that was open and generous on both the nose and palate. A ripe, well-balanced Burgundy that matched well with the duck and drinks well now. The second bottle was the 1999 Laderas de Pinoso, El Sequé, the big brother of the Viñedos de El Sequé, the 2003 vintage of which I have been lauding over the past several weeks. This mostly monastrell from over 100 year old vines has plush aromatics and deep, mostly black fruit and spice flavors; well-integrated and balanced, it benefited from a couple hours in the decanter. Excellent with the duck.

To finish, the 1981 Hopler, Noble Reserve (375), showed orange rind, custard and vinyl aromas and was sweet without being cloying. Its 24 years in bottle have given it a mellow texture and it is probably at peak now.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Dreamy descriptions---would that I could taste and enjoy. I had previously asked the question, "did you like your first sip?" and then said (bemoaned) that I have no "palate" and all vintages are lost on me, to my great regret. When friends are enjoying a bottle or two, speaking of tastes and aromas and cedars and grasses, dusty hillsides warm with sun, I often think of a short story I read many years ago---in a magic kingdom, all but the visitor could hear the music. He COULD, however, have a spell cast so that he could enjoy the melodies just ONCE, then forevermore be deaf to the glorious strains.

His dismay and laments and great sense of longing and loss after his short moment of hearing were just heart-wrenching. I have not, yet, had my TASTE; I do hope for that moment in which I raise a glass and experience the bliss of which you so eloquently speak.

Orange peel---vinyl---custard. What a tempting array awaiting you with every sip.

I suppose I'll just have to settle for chocolate.

Jim, I bought about 9 bottles of the '02 Chorey form Drouhin and have enjoyed two so far.I was thinking the wine has a few years ahead of it and may be really nice in about 12 months.What do you think?

Jim, I bought about 9 bottles of the '02 Chorey form Drouhin and have enjoyed two so far.I was thinking the wine has a few years ahead of it and may be really nice in about 12 months.What do you think?

No reason to argue.

A nice "little" wine, I think.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com