• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best baked goods on my route to work

snacky_cat

Fearful of an eGullet-induced expanding waistline, I have recently altered my eating habits. As a result of this, I can no longer survive going until noonish sans nourriture and have gotten into the habit of eating some type of muffin-like object on my way to work in the morning. Unfortunately, I have yet to discover a conveniently situated tasty-muffin-proffering establishment. Please help.

My morning walk takes me from Richards and Nelson to Burrard and Dunsmuir. The ideal morning muffin place will be situated somewhere along any of the routes connecting these points. It should not be a Starbucks (not that anyone here would suggest such a thing :smile: ), and it doesn't have to be just muffins. I will happily eat any sort of grain product, as long as it's not horribly bad for me (as much as I could go for a pain au chocolat chaque matin, I think that would defeat the purpose of the whole exercise.) The baked good must also be portable, so I can eat it as I walk.

If anyone has any good suggestions as to places and particular treats that I should try, bring 'em on. Also, if anyone lives along that route and wants to invite me in for breakfast, well, that's good too :biggrin:

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

I believe that can take you past Howe and Georgia where you can pop into Sen5es for one of their muffins or other baked goodness. Warning: do NOT try their croissants. You will become addicted and your waistline will most certainly do things that will disagree with you. In fact, go in there wearing a blindfold or shout your order from just outside the door. I cannot go in there without emerging with at least a small baggie of chocolates, a cookie and a croissant. Not to mention their hot chocolate...

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

I believe that can take you past Howe and Georgia where you can pop into Sen5es for one of their muffins or other baked goodness. Warning: do NOT try their croissants.

Oh man, Sen5es breakfast - for me, it was the brioche that did me in (found the croissants a little too greasy) - breakfast was always a double americano, 2 brioches, and one of the CYONI organic juice things (usually grapefruit). Perfect - not cheap, but perfect. And you can always get one of the Valrhona chocolate chip cookies (better than the sparkle cookies IMHO) for later, if you have the self-control (to get just one and to keep it for later). They also do some mighty fine soups at lunch.

And you can always get one of the Valrhona chocolate chip cookies (better than the sparkle cookies IMHO) for later, if you have the self-control (to get just one and to keep it for later).

Wow. You must be vying for sainthood. :raz:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

And you can always get one of the Valrhona chocolate chip cookies (better than the sparkle cookies IMHO) for later, if you have the self-control (to get just one and to keep it for later).

Wow. You must be vying for sainthood. :raz:

Actually I'm angling for someone to mail me some - any takers? :biggrin::wacko: I always found it impossible to do either - but hey - I'm sure some people have better self-control than I.

Mmmm... tried the brioche at Sen5es yesterday morning. Very good! Exactly the right size for my style of breakfast - sort of tennis-ball sized - and highly portable. I opted to forego the non-eating-and-walking-friendly jam and butter, and ate it plain. The dusting of sugar on top was a nice touch.

Next week I'll hit Artiggiano and try some of their offerings (which reminds me that Canadian Maple Delights next door does an awesome Terra Breads walnut toast with maple spread for cheap like dirt.)

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"