• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone know a source for fresh curry leaves?

SuzySushi

There is actually a place on King Street at the first traffic light after you pass River Street (I'm sorry for not knowing the shop's name). It's on the far left corner with the bananas hanging outside. They normally have curry leaves, however, this past weekend when I went to Chinatown, their fresh produce section was gone. It's happened in the past and it's usually just temporary. Otherwise, you can try the small shop at the corner of Maunakea and Hotel. It's right across from the police station. She normally has a good selection of herbs. I usually buy all my herbs for making curry there -- kaffir lime leaves, krachai, galangal, etc.

Good luck!

There is actually a place on King Street at the first traffic light after you pass River Street (I'm sorry for not knowing the shop's name).  It's on the far left corner with the bananas hanging outside.

Hahaha! Those sound like typical Hawaii directions... the other day, I actually found myself giving someone directions on the phone that began, "You know the corner on University where Burger King used to be...."

I'll be sure to find it! (I think that's the same large shop where I buy Vietnamese mint.) :biggrin:

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

• 2 weeks later...

We get our curry leaves from MA`O Farms at the KCC Saturday Farmers' Market. I believe they are there one day a month. You can check at the Hawaii Farm Bureau web page, or better yet, give MA`O a call at 696-5569 to see if they will have curry leaves and which market they will be at (there are now three markets on Oahu!).

Cheerz,

--Larry

We get our curry leaves from MA`O Farms at the KCC Saturday Farmers' Market. I believe they are there one day a month. You can check at the Hawaii Farm Bureau web page, or better yet, give MA`O a call at 696-5569 to see if they will have curry leaves and which market they will be at (there are now three markets on Oahu!).

Cheerz,

--Larry

Good idea! They have a Saturday farmers' market out by me now in Mililani. I'm going over there this afternoon! Will check to see if MA`O Farms is there or on the schedule. Thanks! :biggrin:

SuzySushi

• 2 months later...
Anyone know of a source for fresh curry leaves on Oahu?

I want to try some Indian and Malaysian dishes and don't recall ever seeing them in markets. I don't need an institutional quantity -- a couple of sprigs will do.

I asked at India Market, 2570 S. Beretenia St., # 105, and they have a supply of fresh curry leaves subject to sales volume. If you want to check before-hand, call 946-2020.

• 3 weeks later...
I asked at India Market, 2570 S. Beretenia St., # 105, and they have a supply of fresh curry leaves subject to sales volume.  If you want to check before-hand, call 946-2020.

Thanks for the tip! I now have a nice stash of fresh curry leaves in my freezer! Now to go back through my cookbooks for all the recipes I've been meaning to try.

This little market is a gem, BTW. I'd never been there before (though the owner says it's been open a year) and they have all sorts of Indian, Pakistani, and Middle Eastern ingredients. Another source to place on my "frequent shopper" list! :wub:

SuzySushi