• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Really good stuff

Florida Jim

2002 Giacosa, Roero Arneis:

Its best showing yet with tropical fruit, citrus and sassafras scents and flavors, round but bright in the mouth and good length. Really coming into its own.

2000 A. et P. De Villaine, Mercurey Les Montots:

Opens sharp on the nose and tart on the palate but quickly softens with airing into a well-balanced, charming, light-weight wine driven by red fruit and accented with earth tones. Could use a little time in the cellar but drinks well now. $15.

2002 A. et P. De Villaine, Bourgogne La Digoine:

Just terrific Burgundy that opens with air and delivers precise red fruit and earth scents and flavors with such style and grace it is difficult to believe this costs $20. Exceptional wine with a future.

1999 Belle Pente, Pinot Noir Murto Vnyd.:

More black fruit than red, lovely spice tones and accents reminiscent of leaves and loam; so much better than a recent ’99 Wahle that I’m surprised they’re from the same house. Rich and concentrated with a long, smooth finish. Superb now and shows signs of further development.

2001 Poeira, Douro:

Made from traditional Port grapes, this is wonderfully concentrated and precise with a cool presence in the mouth and lots of complexity. Delicious and interesting – I do wish I would have bought more.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com