• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Five Days in LA

daniellewiley

I'm going to LA a week from Wednesday for five days. I'm training my best friend and new business partner, and most of our business will be conducted in the evening. We will have some daytime meetings, but I think most of our eating will need to be done during the day.

She lives in West Hollywood, but I think our daytime meetings will be in the Beverly Hills area.

Any fun ideas for breakfast and lunch? She always takes me to her favorite places, and I thought it would be fun to surprise her with some fun places of my own. Places where we can sit and linger and chat are good, as we will have a lot to go over, but, of course, we can always hop into a Starbucks, so let's keep amazing food as the top priority. We might have time for one dinner, so if there is something amazing that you'd like to share, feel free. I'm open to anything!

Thanks in advance!!

Oh yes, we are both adventurous eaters, though I'm pregnant and have developed a strong aversion to steaks and other large cuts of meat (ugh - can barely even type it).

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Danielle,

Just a few questions: What are your friend's favorite places? Do you want places nearby, as in Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, West Los Angeles, Santa Monica? Is downtown LA too far? Are you all into ethnic? High-end? Local neighborhood type restaurants? Restaurants that have been around for decades? Or trendier?

Pardon the inquisition, Danielle. Mind you, answering these questions can help us to help you surprise your friend.

BTW, as for surprising your friend, you do realize that one can read eGullet posts anonymously, ehh??

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Danielle,

Just a few questions: What are your friend's favorite places? Do you want places nearby, as in Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, West Los Angeles, Santa Monica? Is downtown LA too far? Are you all into ethnic? High-end? Local neighborhood type restaurants? Restaurants that have been around for decades? Or trendier?

Pardon the inquisition, Danielle. Mind you, answering these questions can help us to help you surprise your friend.

BTW, as for surprising your friend, you do realize that one can read eGullet posts anonymously, ehh??

OK, well last time I was there, we had our toddlers with us (this time we'll be galavanting without them, as mine is staying home, and hers will be in preschool), so the highlight was Koo Koo Roo.

I know her favorite sushi is a place that used to be an IHOP. We do like ethnic - anything goes. I'll be treating all week, so I guess in deference to my pocketbook, I'd like to find some great finds that are also kind to my wallet. We don't really need trendy or high-end - I'm hoping to find some great hole-in-the-wall places that will really surprise and delight her - places she can then go herself after I go.

She doesn't have much money, so...

Neighborhood is probably the least of our concerns, though given the traffic, we probably won't venture as far as Santa Monica, etc. unless we have a meeting out there.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Some of my faves in the general vicinity are:

For breakfast -- John O'Groats on Pico or Clementine just off Santa Monica -- both near Century City. Kings Road Cafe on Beverly (also good for lunch).

For dinner -- Monsieur Marcel at the Original Farmer's Market. Mussels and salad and I'm a very happy girl.

For lunch or dinner -- I've been raving a lot lately about Cafe Beacon in Culver City. Get the black cod. I've posted about it elsewhere here.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

In the 10 Feb. 2005 Calendar section (Thursday ed.) of the LA Times, there are two articles about breakfast that I summarized in the eGullet digest:

Breakfast à la Bel-Air / by S. Irene Virbila

Critic's notebook on Hotel Bel Air. Virbila makes certain to arrange breakfast here for her East Coast friends, who want to escape the latest snowstorm.

Pancakes and eggs. “If breakfast is, in fact, the most important meal of the day, then why not do it right?” Includes these five locations: The Griddle Cafe in Hollywood; Marston's in Pasadena; John O' Groats in West L.A.; Pedals in Santa Monica; Off Vine in Hollywood.

Here are some links and info to nearby restaurants:

Hotel Bel Air is definitely the one place to splurge for breakfast. The Terrace Dining is great with the swans swimming along the lake. Afternoon tea is served.

The Griddle Cafe and Off Vine are both located in Hollywood.

Here's the address & phone no. to John O'Groats: 10516 W Pico Blvd. (Beverly Glen Blvd.); Rancho Park; 310-204-0692

If you need a dessert fix, there's always Sweet Lady Jane in West Hollywood. It's quite decadent. You've been warned!

Campanile is located on S. La Brea. There's a whole discussion thread on Nancy Silverton & Mario Batali. Basically, Nancy is selling her interest in Campanile and she & Mark are splitting up. Nancy & Mario are going to start a new Italian later this year, as per the LA Times.

Girasole (225 1/2 N. Larchmont Blvd.; Hancock Park; 323-464-6978) is located in the Larchmont area (The area code IS 323). The Larchmont area (south of Beverly Blvd.) is a really nice neighborhood. In fact, I think there is a Koo Koo Roo's in the area. :wink:

Someone mentioned El Coyote in another thread. I wouldn't recommend it for the food really. It can be a fun, dive to hang out with friends at, but the food can be pretty awful.

If you want to try Mexican go to El Cholo, the location on Western Blvd is the original and has the most character. The prices are very reasonable.

1121 S Western Blvd

323-734-2773

If you're in the mood for Ehiopian (which I don't really like, the bread just doesn't do anything for me) try Fairfax Blvd, south of Olympic. There is a row of restaurants there.

Ita Cho on Beverly Blvd (I don't know if they are open for lunch) is good for Japanese small plate dining. This place can get pricey, the cost of little plates adds up.

King's Barbeque near Chinatown (or is it called Original Texas Barbecue King?) is one to try. No protocal at all, a rather somber looking man plops the food in front of you. Outdoor seating, I think there is indoor seating but it looks likes a warehouse. Cheap, cheap prices.

867 W Cesar E Chavez Ave

Los Angeles, CA 90012-2130

Phone: (213) 437-0881

There's also a Thai Town on Hollywood Blvd (I think, pretty easy to verify). There's a grocery store that fun to visit. I can't recommend a specific restaurant though. StupidAmerican probably could.

If you want more Korean Galleria Market (Western and Olymic) and the Korea town Plaza (Western around San Marino St.) can be fun to explore.

There's also a Thai Town on Hollywood Blvd (I think, pretty easy to verify). There's a grocery store that fun to visit. I can't recommend a specific restaurant though. StupidAmerican probably could.

If you want more Korean Galleria Market (Western and Olymic) and the Korea town Plaza (Western around San Marino St.) can be fun to explore.

More Korean is always a good thing.

What great suggestions here! I'm excited to sit and write all of these down and then explore while we're there.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

I like to walk around exploring before eating especially for lunch and especially with a friend. J town (Little Tokyo) is great fun for this. The food is not all great, but I haven't had a bad experience either. There lots of little shops that sell typical tourist stuff, but in between all that you can find a few "treasures". The Japanese American Museum is there, Mitsuwa marketplace and Japanese bookstores.

Olvera street is near by, $10.00 guitars that actually "work". It's touristy, but fun.

Of course Chinatown (The San Gabriel Valley is the other, bigger Chinatwon, but the one in downtown is closer to the city). I'm sure someone else could recommend specific places. But there is a Vietnamese place next to Ai Hoa Market (sp?) where you can get a tasty and filling sandwich for $1.75-$2.25.

Venice is a good walking and eating area too. You can go to Novel Cafe for a cup of coffee or tea to relax, it's one of those hangout places.

All of these places can be touristy, but Los Angeles isn't much of a pedestrian town so the walking areas tend to be flooded with visitors.

On Western and 6th or 5th there is a Korean market called California Market that sells Chinese buns, all made from scratch. The fillings are Koreanized, there are beef, vegetable and leek versions. Something like 4-6 for around $5.00 I think and they are pretty good sized. You can pick up a few other prepared foods and have a picnic lunch with your friend.

There's also applepan

The Apple Pan

10801 W. Pico Blvd.

Los Angeles, CA 90064

310-475-3585

It's one of those "institutions", long lines, rushed service, you sit at a counter and the style of service hasn't changed since it's opened. They have a super loyal following, I prefer in n out, but it can be fun to try.

I think that LA has a some catching up to do with say New York in terms of fine dining. But the "ethnic" offerings here kick ass. The San Gabriel Valley has a huge number of mom and pop eateries, not just from the mainland but from the Chinese speaking diaspora. East LA and East of LA (Montebello, Pico Rivera for instance) there are more family Mexican restaurants not just fast food places. If you're up for a bit of a drive there is

LA Barca Jalisco Restaurant (although I recall the sign as reading La Barca Jal)

8407 Washington Boulevard

Pico Rivera, CA 90660

562-942-7060

If your best friend's mom were a really good Mexican-American home cook who put love into the food this is the restaurant she would open. Super inexpensive, laughably cheap, friendly service. It's the only place that I've been too (I'm sure there are more, but it's not that common) that serves these soups/stews in stone pots filled with all kinds of yummy things, different meats, vegetables, sausages, seafood, etc...

The place is packed during peak times. It's a really homey place.

Pizza, Hard Times in Silverlake

Hard Times Pizza CO II

2664 Griffith Park Blvd

Los Angeles, CA 90039

They import their water from New York for the dough, damn good dough. More sort of fast food atmosphere, but you can get a slice or a whole pie. I've never tried the stuff they have in the prepared foods case, just doesn't look that appetizing,

I posted this thread on LA restaurants during a recent trip, and I think that there are a few that meet your criteria here!

Thank you! This thread was immensely helpful.

You're welcome! Soot Bull Jeep and Pink's are must-eats, in particular, I think.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

More Korean is always a good thing.

What great suggestions here! I'm excited to sit and write all of these down and then explore while we're there.

If you want Korean, I remember going to this place called ChoSun Galbee on Olympic (south side) in Koreatown. That's about the extent of my Korean food experience. I'm not familiar with little food places around Koreatown.

Chosun Galbee; 3330 W. Olympic Blvd.; Los Angeles, CA 90019; (323) 734-3330

Mind you, if you and your friend want something non-Korean in Koreatown, there is a restaurant on Olympic (south side), a few blocks from ChoSun Galbee, that serves authentic Oaxacan (oh ZAH kuhn) food, named Guelaguetza (GEH-lah-GEH-tzah, hard "g" sound). If you're into mole (MOH-leh), this is the place. The mole negro tasted rather smoky when I ate there. They also serve mole that comes in red, green or yellow. Sorry, I couldn't find a website from them. Mind you, I do have a copy of their colorful menu. Their price range is $8.50-$12.50. Really inexpensive, ehh??

Guelaguetza; 3014 W. Olympic Blvd.; Los Angeles, CA 90006; (213) 427-0608

There is a Salvadoran restaurant located off of Beverly Blvd. (north side) heading east towards Silverlake called Atlacatl. They make wonderful pupusas. The food's not real spicy, and this place was recommended to me by a Salvadoran.

Atlacatl; 301 N. Berendo St.; Los Angeles, CA 90004; (323) 663-1404

There is a popular Cuban restaurant called Versailles. I went to the one on La Cienega Blvd. back in the '80's. Either go for the Cuban roast pork or the roasted garlic chicken.

Versailles; 1415 S. La Cienega; Los Angeles, CA 90034; (310) 289-0392

Danielle, I've selected places that's around the LA basin (between downtown LA & Beverly Hills, sort of). If this is not enough, please tell us. We might have more. :cool:

I like Meals by Genet on Fairfax for good Ethiopean food, if you're feeling a bit adventurous.

For lunch, I always like to consider places where you can sit outside, and the Cat & the Fiddle is one of my favorites for that. There are several good places for lunch at Sunset Plaza, such as Le Dome, Cravings, Clafoutis, Cafe Med, and Le Petit Four, although I think these are more popular on week-ends. There is a large parking lot there also. Tommy Tang's on Melrose is also open for lunch.

Figaro Brasserie in Los Feliz on Vermont Blvd has outdoor seating and the decor is charming. I'd go there for coffee only, you can sit for a long time without feeling rushed.

The food. Some people think it's pretty good. Maybe I'm spoiled from too many trips to France, but I find the food to be very hit and miss here. And when it misses it is horrible. (Overcooked merguez sausage that was held too long, then microwaved). I was also told by the server that the pastries were made in house. The were stale and looked exactly like the ones I've seen in wholesale catalogs for the trade. She also told me that the baguettes were baked in house, again it's the same bread that dozens and dozens of LA restaurants serve.

Other than the bad food and the lying server, the coffee is good and it's fun to sit outside people watching especially in this neighborhood. :laugh: