• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pancake Wisdom

Richard Kilgore

I just noticed a recipe for Apple Pancakes in the current W-S catalogue, and realized I have not done any in a while. Perhaps pancake boredom has set in. One of my favorites has been Banana Pancakes with maple syrup.

What are your favorites? Any special touches to your technique? Unusual, non-intuitive combinations?

I may get blasted here but... I'm the "only person on earth" (according to my husband ) who doesn't like pancakes. I have had them, I'll make them, but they just don't turn me on. I'm sure a good psychiatrist could help my husband out with this :laugh:

Anyway, when I DO make/serve pancakes I usually go the buttermilk route and add bananas, blueberries, pineapple, raisins, whatever the brood seems up for.

As topping I favour sweet butter and light grade maple syrup, but will entertain seasonal fruit and nice fruit preserves.

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

I haven't made pancakes in years. I suffer from griddle deprivation. My sister inherited the Sunbeam griddle that must have made many thousands of pancakes, the spatula deftly wielded by my dad. Until he took up cooking on a more regular basis, Sunday breakfast was one of his claims to fame. The favorite was buckwheat, served with lots of butter and Steen's cane syrup. His buttermilk pancakes just about floated themselves to the plate. Sometimes we made "dewberry syrup" which was actually a batch of dewberry jelly that failed to jell. The same could be said for wild plum or grape concoctions. Then we got smart and started making the syrup on purpose.

I won't go back to making pancakes until I get my griddle as part of the new stove. I have tried the frying pans, including my exquisitely seasoned cast iron version, but I just can't make it work right.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

My favourite pancakes are those poofy Dutch Baby things, with a nice fruit compote on top (and whipped cream :wub: ). I'm also extremely fond of a cornmeal pancake, and even fonder of German potato pancakes (which I like best with sour cream and a sprinkle of garlic salt -- the only use I've ever found for garlic salt).

However, the pancake I eat most often is the Body for Life-style oatmeal/cottage cheese pancake, as it is a nice complete meal of protein and carb, and very portable. These I usually bake as one big cake in the oven, swirled with some sugar-free jam. :rolleyes: They're actually pretty good; when I'm eating "on plan" they're probably my favourite meal of the day.

i prefer savory pancakes;

sweet ones are ummm too sweet.....

among my favorite are the corn pancakes with

roasted red pepper sauce as served in the

cafe de la paz in berkeley CA.

is it still around?

fantastic food and inexpensive! it was

just a block from our apt....

i miss urban life...

milagai