• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ouest / West In Vancouver

cabrales

I'd appreciate members' input on Ouest Restaurant in the South Granville area of Vancouver (2881 Granville St., near 13th, (604) 738 8938). (Note the correct spelling of the restaurant, in contrast to the thread title.)

The chef David Hawksworth was the former sous-chef at Philip Howard's Michelin-two-starred restaurant, The Square, in London. The pastry chef is Thierry Busset.

http://www.ouestrestaurant.com/ouest/chefs.html

Below is a link to the indicative menu. Note the Canadian regional ingredients (Tofino Dungeness Crab, local oysters, Quebec duck, Quebec foie gras, Alberta beef carpaccio, Alberta beef tenderloin, Princess Island skate, Yukon gold potatoes, Pacific Ling Cod, Atlantic lobster).

http://www.ouestrestaurant.com/ouest/menus/menu.asp?ID=60

Chef Hawksworth has significant pedigree -- sous-chef at each of The Square and Raymond Blanc's Manoir au Quat' Saison (also Michelin two-starred, and striving, although probably in vain, for a third), and chef at L'Escargot.

• 3 weeks later...

I ate there last year, the night before I ate at Lumiere. I enjoyed Ouest a bit more. (Though I believe I was just put off by the "new" Lumiere. The dining room is uglier, tighter, and everyone wears Relais and Chateaux lapel pins. . . Chocolates emblazoned with RF finish the meal, all very odd.)

The only major thing that I disliked about Ouest was the room design. They spent some ridiculous amount of money on it and you feel a little like you are eating in a mausoleum. But anyways, on to the food.

I had the tasting menu . . . Let's see, First was an amuse of tomato consomme. (Refreshing, but not terribly interesting.) 2- I believe this was the famous Foie gras and Chicken liver terrine with Apple jelly. This dish was phenomenal, surely the best preparation of either liver I have ever had. It came with a thick slice of toasted brioche on the side. Perfect. 3- Seared Alaskan Scallops with Roasted Onion Puree and Potato Wafer. Very good, the puree was perfect with the sweet scallops. 4- Bouillabaise: John Dory (excellent!), prawn, clam, mussel, and squid. In a fennel broth with potato (I think.) Tasty and well handled. 5- Lambb Chops with an eggplant crust; wax and green beans. This was excellent, but as I recall the beans were not quite done. Still very grassy/squeaky. 6- Dessert was Red summer fruit between puff pastry (Not a napoleon). Large, nice ending to the meal.

The sommelier was very courteous, gave us suggestions for BC wines to take home to Seattle, the address of a wine shop. The service was precise in all ways, many details.

Would definitely recommend. Curious also to hear other, more recent experiences.

Cheers.

J.

Below is the Seven-Course Tasting Menu recently sampled at Ouest (C$88.00 or approx. US$ 60.00; write-up to come):

Amuse bouche

Quebec foie gras and chicken liver parfait on apple jelly

Alaskan Weathervane scallop tempura with mango, sea urchin vinaigrette

Fresh riccioli pasta with pea shoots, asparagus and morels

Pacific lingcod with crushed fennel, thyme roasted fingerling potatoes

Roast lamb crusted with aromatic couscous

[Osso bucco with marrow from attached bone, puree of potatoes and spinach, feve beans-- This off-menu dish was added following my mention, at Steven Shaw's suggestion, of his name.]

Selection of fine cheese with walnut and Okanagan raisin bread [Fourme d'Ambert, Cantal, a Quebec cheese]

Omelette Rothschild

Petits Fours

My dining companion and I shared a glass of wine by the glass, paired by the restaurant, for each course.

-- Five-Course Tasting Menu (C$65.00)

Amuse bouche

Mosaic of Mediterranean vegetables and chaput goat cheese

Local side stripe prawn salad, avocado and grapefruit

Butternet squash and parmesan ravioli, basil pesto and sage butter

Queen Charlotte halibut, asparagus and marscapone agnolotti

Piineapple tart tatin with black pepper, banana sorbet

Petit Fours

-- A la Carte Appetizers (C$9.50-17.00)

Chilled tomato consumme with a Dungness crab tian

Fresh "Chef's Creek" oysters with mignonette

Salad of local rabbit with grainy mustard, sweet and sour vegetables

Local side stripe prawn salad, avocado and grapefruit

Alaskan Weathervane scallop tempura with mango, sea urchin vinaigrette

Salad "Ouest"

Mosaic of Mediterranean vegetables and chaput goat cheese, tomato vinaigrette and arugula pesto

Quebec foie gras and chicken liver parfait on apple jelly with toasted brioche

Ahi tuna and cucumber tartar, wasabi and lime vinaigrette

House made guinea fowl sausage, cauliflower puree and cherry tomato confit

Fresh riccioli pasta with pea shoots, asparagus and morels

-- A la Carte Main Courses (C$19.50-28.50)

Pacific lingcod with crushed fennel, thyme roasted fingerling potatoes

Fricassee of fresh island scallops, crispy squid and local prawns, shellfish and saffron broth

Queen Charlotte halibut, asparagus and marscapone agnolotti

Roast Island red snapper with button onions, white bean puree and lemon thyme

Coriander crusted swordfish with braised baby fennel and citrus olive oil

Wild salmon fillet with cucumber and caraway broth

Szechuan glazed duck breast with baby bok choy, fig and orange sauce

Roast organic chicken breast with baby violet artichokes, mousserons and thyme jus

Mushrooms crusted Alberta beef tenderloin, young vegetables (C$35.00)

Marinated rack of pork with vermeclli, spiced fruit chutney

Butternet squash and parmesan ravioli, basil pesto and sage butter

It took me several days to place my tasty dinner at Ouest into perspective. For me, and based on sampling of restaurants to date over several visits to Vancouver, Ouest and Lumiere are markedly the best restaurants in the city. When I was taking the dinner at Ouest and for the several days thereafter (including when I was eating at Lumiere's bar), I had already thought it was good. However, I found attempts to compare Ouest and Lumiere (whose bar area offers cuisine that is reportedly rather similar to that in the gastronomic part of the restaurant, which I have not yet visited) initially confusing. At first, I believed I subjectively preferred Lumiere, although another diner could readily come to a contrary assessment. However, upon further reflection, I now believe that Ouest has consistency (at a good level) and other favorable attributes that render a "call" between Lumiere and Ouest premature and that require exploration upon subsequent visits.

(1) Amuse bouche -- The amuse was a butternut squash veloute, garnished with chives and a touch of olive oil. I liked the somewhat cold temperature of the veloute, which helped temper the sweetness in the butternut squash. My dining companion noted that, even though tomatoes were not present in the veloute, there was the taste of creamed tomatoes. This dish was served with champagne.

(2) Quebec foie gras and chicken liver parfait on apple jelly -- I enjoyed this dish, which consisted of a trapezoid-shaped section of foie gras terrine with a delicate white rim. A thin layer of transparent gelee, with subtle (in a good way) apple connotations, covered the entire principal section of the dish. My dining companion considered the gelee a bit too subtle for his tastes, but I liked it and the dish overall. This dish was served with Selbach Riesling.

(3) Alaskan Weathervane scallop tempura with mango, sea urchin vinaigrette -- Perhaps the only dish of the meal that disappointed somewhat. The tempura coating for the scallops, while intentionally a bit dense and containing coriander, did not appear to reflect recent deep-frying. The scallops could have been "denser" and more elastic in texture, and sea urchin tastes were difficult to detect in the saucing. The mixture of mango chutney, with tomatoes and red onions, was unduly dominant in the dish.

(4) Fresh riccioli pasta with pea shoots, asparagus and morels -- A very good dish. The trumpet-shaped pasta items were accompanied by an intense, chicken-stock based reduction with shallots. A heady, intense dish that played on the sensations of meat in the very good saucing, against the morels, asparagus and pea shoots. Well conceived and nicely executed.  

(5) Pacific lingcod with crushed fennel, thyme roasted fingerling potatoes -- While lingcod is not one of my favorite types of fish, I was happy with its inclusion on Ouest's menu because of the significance of lingcod fishery to British Columbia. The fish was appropriately prepared, with a complementary softened fennel accompaniment that was slightly sugary and soft.  The quenelle of potatoes had creme fraiche and chives. The utilization of lemon in the saucing was appreciated.

(6) Roast lamb crusted with aromatic couscous -- Another dish that pleased me. The juicy, flavorful lamb chops had one side coated with Dijon mustard. Grains of couscous were then incorporated onto that portion of the chops. The jus reduction was nicely intense, and the crushed black olives in the sauce were not bad either.  I liked the tomatoes (prepared somewhat like concasse) that rung of freshness and that were adorned by a single dried basil leaf.  The polenta accompaniment tasted nice standalone, but might have been unnecessary to the dish. The choice of Shiraz to accompany the lamb was a good one.

(7) [Osso bucco with marrow from attached bone, puree of potatoes and spinach, feve beans-- This off-menu dish was added following my mention, at Steven Shaw's suggestion, of his name.] -- The meal progressed well, with osso bucco generously offered by the chef. The veal had been braised with a bone section that contained marrow attached. This dish marked the first time I have sampled marrow attached to veal flesh. The marrow was very good. Furthermore, I liked the inclusion of spinach in the potato puree and the ability of "feve" beans to provide a refreshing balance to the veal.

(8) Selection of fine cheese with walnut and Okanagan raisin bread [Fourme d'Ambert, Cantal, a Quebec cheese] -- The cheese was appropriately aged. I liked Fourme d'Ambert, and the portion received was not inferior to those generally sampled in France.

(9) Omelette Rothschild -- This is one of the pastry chef's favorite preparations. Instead of a traditional souffle, served in a little cocotte-like dish, the souffle version here was presented as a eliptical-shaped flattened dome on a plate. The souffle-like components were nicely airy, and egg white appeared to have been relied on. I liked the fact that there was liquer or other alcohol in the omelette itself, and that it was primarily expressed as an aftertaste and not too aggressive in the mouth initially. The saucing was apricot-driven. While apricot is not one of my favorite fruit, I considered its utilization in the dish helpful.

Overall, a good-to-very-good meal. :smile: Strong technical capabilities that have given way to a cuisine that is at times hearty and appropriately intense, and at other times subtle in a good way.

Chefs' Table -- View of the Kitchen; Service

My dining companion and I appreciated the opportunity to view the kitchen from the two chefs' tables located at the back of the restaurant. Each such table is in banquette, diner-like form. The last table is the better of the two because its view of the kitchen is a more central one. Chef Hawksworth, his sous-chef Les Humphries and two other cuisiniers were efficient, but calm and methodical. The kitchen appeared to be kept in an immaculate state of cleanliness and readiness. I had wondered whether occupying the chefs' tables might have a negative aspect of inhaling cooking fumes that might detract from the sampling of the dishes taken in. However, the ventilation system in the kitchen was excellent and there were no such problems.

The dining room team member who assisted us was helpful and knowledgeable.  I liked his detailed descriptions of each dish.  The bartender was friendly was well.

Decor

I liked the decor at Ouest. Upon entering the restaurant, a diner sees a long bar on the right hand side. It has series of cubicles for wine and a ladder, like one finds at Montrachet in NYC, but with darker wood and along a lengthier expanse. There are seats for drinks there.

Perched high in the middle of the restaurant was an arrangement of burgundy/brown-ish dried branches or other dried items. Dark woods predominate, with a marbled floor and false marbeling effects on the lamps. A brownish leather with some burgundy tones added to the expensive-looking decor. I liked the fact that the storefront of the restaurant was partially a pane of glass, with a pattern of frosted squares. When the light outside changed, the color of this pane would accordingly evolve.

I've only got a couple of visits to each place under my belt, so my comparisons too are suspect. I agree that the two are in a class by themselves. I think Ouest is a bit more conservative and technically excellent, while Lumiere is a bit more exciting. Lumiere is more expensive, as I recall, and more oriented towards the Charlie Trotter's/French Laundry style of freewheeling tasting menu. Ouest is a bit more controlled, composed, and integrated. I prefer Ouest, but I wouldn't call a person crazy for favoring Lumiere.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The call is difficult as to which of Ouest and Lumiere is better. I consider restaurant preferences, particularly among restaurants at the same general level, to be subjective. A diner could readily prefer one over the other. Not having visited Lumiere's gastronomic portion (but having heard from multiple local sources that that portion offers cuisine generally comparable in style to that at the bar) and having visited each restaurant a small number of times, I am interested in additional visits before making a relative assessment.

The Vancouver restaurant landscape highlights several lines of inquiry that Steven S suggested and that I have been considering: (1) the potential impact that one or two chefs can have over the restaurants in an entire city (other examples are the Roux Brothers in London or Trotter in Chicago), (2) the role of foreign training (e.g., in the case of Hawksworth of Ouest) and "branded" mentors/master chefs for whom a young chef has worked when certain portions of the local dining public (as opposed to, for example, restaurant reviewers) may not be particularly familiar with those mentors, (3) the differences, if any, in the palates (whether with respect to preference or stage of development) of the dining public in a city, and the role of non-French restaurants (I mention French partly due to my subjective personal preference for French food) in educating those palates (as I believe the Chinese restaurants in Vancouver have been helpful in doing), (4) the role of patissiers in the marketing and molding of a restaurant (my perception is that Ouest's pastry chef has a slightly higher profile, and is emphasized more by the restaurant itself, than that at Lumiere), and (5) the role of prices in one's assessment of cuisine (e.g., the reasonable prices at Lumiere's bar).   :wink:

• 1 month later...

Why not write to David Hawksworth and ask him? Or encourage him to post his answer right here. The restaurant's e-mail address is on the Web site: info@ouestrestaurant.com

Would you believe that, among Vancouver locals, Ouest has a reputation for being super-expensive? Take a look at the prices and remember they're in Canadian dollars. Then realize it's one of the two best restaurants in that city -- a city that is no slouch overall when it comes to food. By New York standards, they're giving the food away. And some of the bar menu dishes, like the rabbit -- ten Canadian dollars!!! -- well, I can't imagine they're making any money at all on them.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Those prices are pretty typical for high-end restaurants in Canada. That's why I keep telling Americans to get their butts up here. I think Steven's Fat Guy series on Canada should run in the States. I'm always amazed, and disappointed, to see how little Americans know or care about Canada -- especially food people, who should know better. :hmmm:

Americans:

Remember, $10 Canadian right now equals about $6.50 US.

$6.50 for rabbit at Ouest's bar, people!

The majority of the dinner entrees at Ouest are under $30 Canadian. But let's say you go for a $32.50 entree.

It's $21.40 US!

Go!

The Lumiere bar had very low prices as well. Note that another factor that helps limit spending is the availability of less expensive Canadian wine, particularly Okanagan Valley. Below is a description of meals at Lumiere's bar:

http://forums.egullet.org/ibf/index.php?s=...=26&t=2716&st=0

Fat Guy -- The friend who went to Vancouver with me is more up-to-date about new NY restaurants than I am. He noted the low prices at Lumiere's bar as well, and the high quality of the food at Ouest and Lumiere bar. He indicated that Lumiere bar was the most exciting new restaurant he had visited in the past year. :biggrin: Note I have been attempting to recruit him for the board, with no success to date. :hmmm:

Greetings all !!!

I thought that I would respond to a few of the questions about the bar and say that I'm truly amazed at the level of knowledge and passion that's on this website.......keep up the good work!!!

Since we have a bar area already that has approx 14 seats, why not utilize them?? it's for people who haven't tried Ouest yet - bar hoppers - light quick meals or late dessert with local Ice Wine plus it's a fun way of trying it out or extending your stay !! Plus it keeps our bartender Jay Jones on his toes!!!

Now back to work !!!

DH

www.ouestrestaurant.com

Welcome, chef, and thanks for posting on this topic. I hope we'll see lots more of you around the boards.

it's for people who haven't tried Ouest yet -  bar hoppers - light quick meals or late dessert with local Ice Wine . . . .

David -- Welcome! :laugh: You referred to "light quick meals". When you have a chance, could you consider discussing whether you are referring to the number of dishes general taken by diners at the bar, or the composition/ingredients/method of preparation of bar dishes relative to your restaurant dishes?

I noted the following write-up in The Washington Times' travel section (June 22, 2002, "Vancouver soaring high on best-places lists", by Dagan McCann): Vancouver's "nouveau-chic reputation has accelerated as it has brought urban haute gastronomy to an ever-youthful but discerning clientele . . . . the fashionable epicurean outpost Ouest. Enter this contemporary enclave of leather-paneled walls and diamond-cut marble flooring, and you are greeted by a dashing hostess and a two-story wall of wines. The nearby Okanagan Valley has continually produced serious contenders to French white wines, and the sommelier is glad to point out local wine pairings. The essence of Ouest, though, comes from the culinary wizardry of David Hawksworth, the executive chef. From the roasted Weathervane scallops - with fresh coriander sauce - that sizzle and pop with flavor to the Pacific lingcod that mimics the texture of sea bass but with heightened flavor, Mr. Hawksworth has broken ground for a class of new chefs emerging in Vancouver." Ouest was the only Vancouver restaurant mentioned :laugh:

• 1 month later...

Here is richie's report on a recent meal at Ouest:

http://forums.egullet.org/ibf/index.php?ac...b82b7de6acd31d8

Separately, I noted a preview of Ouest's Fall/Winter menu in the July/August 2002 edition of Food Arts. Chef Hawksworth notes: "One of the most exciting things about being in British Columbia is the abundance of locally foraged wild mushrooms. One of my favorites is the pine mushroom, with its wonderfully pungent flavor. Most end up in Japan, where they're very sought after, but I always manage to get my hands on a few. I'm also a big fan of the sweet sugar pumpkins that grow close by in the Okanagen Valley. I use them in a ravioli with mostarda di frutta, Parmesan, crushed amaretti biscuits, and sage."

Menu items coming up include:

Roasted Weathervane Scallops with Cilantro Sauce and Candied Ginger

Tortellini of Duck Confit and Pine Mushrooms -- This sounds good :laugh: "For th filling, combine duck confit with sauteed pine mushrooms, parsley, tarragon, chives, pureed chicken breast meat, egg and a touch of cream. Shape ravioli into tortellini. Blanch to order. Serve with grilled pine mushrooms and a froth of pine mushroom veloute."

Venison with Braised Celery & Chestnuts with Celery Root Puree

Braised Oxtail with Honey Roasted Root Vegetables & Cabernet Sauvignon Sauce

Chocolate Cadeau

Pineapple/Black Pepper Tarte Tatin

Having eaten at both Ouest and Lumiere as well as "C" just last month, I thought I would give my two cents worth.

I thought the cuisine at all three places was excellent, but different enough stylistically that I couldn't really pick one as best. Though the foie gras appetizer at Ouest I would have to call my single favorite dish of the trip, with the tomato water and prawn dish at Lumiere a close second.

Where I can choose a favorite is in the overall experience. Here I would choose C first, Ouest second and Lumiere a clear third.

I enjoyed C the most because the service was incredibly helpful and accommodating. I told the waiter that I was not up for a large meal and just wanted to order from the appetizer menu, and this not only didn't phase him, but he actually encouraged the choice by suggesting the order in which the dishes should be served. I also didn't want to drink too much since I was driving, so he brought me paired half glasses of wine with each dish. Also, they have a lovely view of False Creek and Granville Island.

Ouest comes in a close second. The excellent service was exactly what I would expect at this level. I thought the room was modern, elegant without being stuffy, and comfortable. I sat at a table just outside the kitchen pass and one of the chefs (could it have been Chef Hawksworth?) asked me how I liked my appetizer and made a welcome suggestion on how best to enjoy it. While the food may have been a bit better than at C, the extra mile the wait staff went to make sure I enjoyed my unconventional meal gave C the extra points.

Lumiere comes in last, first because I thought the dining room was bland and a bit crowded. Second, I thought the autographed menus from other restaurants on the walls in the bathroom was a little pretentious. But what most annoyed me was being seated next to two regulars you were obviously personal friends of many of the staff. They made a big point of ordering off the menu and asking the chef to "surprise them with something outrageous". The wait staff hovered over them talking loudly about somebody's birthday and such, all the while standing between our tables with their butts in my face. After a bit of this I did complain to my waiter who tried to explain that they were long-time regulars and old friends. I said I understood this, but didn't appreciate the extended view of the wait staff's backsides (I was paying for the full 13 course, 3.5 hour tasting menu and I think I deserved to be treated as a valued guest). Thankfully she conveyed my message and things calmed down a bit. The food was wonderful, though I thought the desserts were more "interesting experiments" than successful.

Vancouver certainly is a great (and easy for me living in Seattle) destination for fine dining. I also had fantastic desserts at Diva at the Met and Senses where the former pastry chef from Daniel now works. Gotta love that exchange rate!

I have been reading the replies and comments on the egullet site for a little while now and feel that I must add my own experiences from a Vancouver diner's perspective.

I find it fascinating to read how visitors have summed up the Vancouver dining experience and how wide and varied the cuisine is within the city. I feel extremely fortunate to have been brought up and exposed to so much in the way of quality ingredients and the seemingly infinite ways of which they may be prepared. The multicultural significance of our city cannot be underrated for its contributions to the palate of the savvy diner. I believe this may help address the common question of why it is that Vancouver can sustain a gamut of dining experience and quality food at affordable prices.

As a photographer who travels a lot, I have dined in a number of phenomenal restaurants around the world and have tasted dishes that have both inspired and astounded me and I am constantly impressed to see that Vancouver offers so much in the way of world class dining.

Ouest is one of those rare treats, which consistently provides the ideal dining experience. From the front of the house to the back of the kitchen, everyone seems to know and love their job. I usually dine alone (sometimes the best dining companion is a fork!) and when doing so, choose to sit at the bar to converse with the staff and enjoy my meal. I have had the good fortune of experiencing most of what the restaurant has to offer from the menu and a seemingly endless supply of new or innovative dishes done for me at the time. Except for the exquisite “Quebec foie gras parfait” and the “butternut squash tortellini in sage butter”, which I could eat every time, I do not honestly believe that I have ever had the same dish twice. The memory of the chef and the staff as to what I enjoy and what I have had in the past amazes me.

Having great food in Vancouver is easy, but I always seem to find my way back to Ouest when I want to be comfortable and have my palate tickled with incredible culinary experiences.

So, if you are visiting Vancouver and find yourself in Ouest and see some guy with a shaved head laughing with the bar staff and enjoying a dish which is more than likely not on the menu, give me a tap on the shoulder and we can share in the conversation of the Vancouver dining experience.

"Expect nothing, be prepared for anything."

Welcome to the site, and I hope we'll hear a lot more from you.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay...if you are in Vancouver and don't give Ouest a try...I have to say your are missing out on a lovely experience...My first dinner led to my changing my plans and going back for a double-dip :smile: .

First my Thursday dinner...I was greeted warmly (and immediately) at the door by Jude who turned out to be my waitress. She chatted with me briefly until Lindsay (the hostess) guided me to my table. I hadorresponded with Chef Hawksworth by email, so I was a known eGulleteer. Lindsay told me Chef H. would be glad to make a special menu for me, or I could order off the a la carte menu, the tasting menus (one 5 and one 7 course) or make up my own tasting menu. Although I was tempted to make up my own tasting menu, I chose to put myself in his hands completely and to let the wines be chosen to match the courses. I am always curious to see what a chef will opt for. While I settled in I enjoyed a glass of Louis Roederer "Brut Premier". Lindsay returned to check on me and offer any assistance I might need during my visit to Vancouver. Our conversation turned to the restaurant scene in town...and she was kind enough to return later with a list of suggestions, the phone numbers and an offer to help with reservations if I would like. (Thanks Lindsay :smile: ). Anne, the manager, introduced herself, checked to make sure I was comfortable and not in need of anything. She also went out of her way yo print up a copy of my "special" menu even though they were busy. I won't go into detail about the decor as it has been covered in earlier posts.

On to the meal...

My Amuse Bouche was a piping hot shellfish bisque with a dotting of evoo served in a demitasse cup. A deep orange coral color with good briny shellfish flavor.

First Course- Gazpacho with a Tian of Avocado and Prawns

Wine- 2001 Arcadia Cortese Piemonte

The tian of avocado topped with the BC side stripe prawns (ightly dressed with housemade mayonnaise and freshly chopped chives) and chervil sprig arrived in the center of a large white bowl. The bright red gazpacho was poured around it at the table. A new twist on gazpacho- instead of the chunky, thicker version one usually sees- this was a thinner (not in a negative way) very flavorful example. It was made with Crushed tomatoes, cucmbers, celery, shallot, garlic and assorted herbs-which were then drained to make the soup. A good first course after a long summer day.

Second Course- Quebec Foie Gras and Chicken Liver Parfait on Apple Jelly with Toasted Brioche

Wine- 1998 Chateau Liot Sauterne

A rectangular slice of parfait encased in a thin layer of jersey butter (perfectly equidistant on all sides!), a turn of pepper and a dash of sea salt atop the mildly apple flavored gelee. The parfait had a lovwly texture...a bit more solid than a mousse, but light and smooth. the gelee (and the sauterne) were perfect foils to the richness of the parfait.

Third Course_ Seared Queen Charlotte Halibut with Chanterelles and Peas

Wine- 2000 Gehringer Brothers Pinot Gris

The halibut was centered among petit, perfectly sauteed chanterelles and

peeled, halved peas in a pea foam. There was also a mix of sprigs of baby watercress and pea shoots.

Fourth Course- West COast Shellfish Nage with Cucumber Tagliatelle scented with Lemongrass and Ginger

Wine- 1999 Chateau Val Joanis "Les Merises" Cote-du-Luberon

A miture of perfectly cooked clams, mussels, BC spot prawns and Atlantic Lobster with the strips of cucumber, diced tomatoes, scallions, wakame and hjiki(sp?) seaweeds. The broth had a nice light briny flavor with a touch of lemongrass flavor and a hint of ginger. This was my favorite dish of the evening.

Fifth Course- Roast Rack of Lamb with Fresh Herb Gnocchi and Baby Violet Artichokes with Sweet Garlic Puree

Wine- 2000 Penfolds Shiraz Mouvedre "Bin 2"

The rack arrived exactly medium rare over a melange of roasted tomatoes, sliced black olives, slivers of garlic and garlic puree. Accompanied by marinated baby artichokes, baby asparagus and the gnocchi. A very tasty crust of herbs, bread crumbs and gruyere enveloped the lamb. The light as air herb gnocchi rounded out the dish. This one was my second favorite dish...and believe me, it was a tough call between this and the previous course!)

At this point Chef Hawksworth came out, intorduced himself and told me he had something in the kitchen he wanted me to see. There on the counter was a huge Spring (King to those of us in the States) salmon weighing in at 38 lbs. and another 9 lb. one he had caught earlier in the day near Alaska. I had dreams of sashimi, sushi and roasted salmon dancing before my eyes :raz: .

Sixth Course- Selection of Fine Cheeses Walnut and Okanagan Raisin Bread

Wine- Taylor Fladgate 10 year old Tawny Port

A trio of cheeses- Form D'Ambert from the Loire- a lovely blue cheese; Boleau Chateau Gaury Quebec Goat Cheese with Gold Ash (perfectly aged); and a 2 year old cheddar from Quebec. Accompanied by the nice moist bread, red grapes and a locally grown fig compote.

Seventh Course- Yellow Peach And Amaretto Tart with Praline Ice Cream

Wine- 1995 Hugel Riesling Vendage Tardive

Peahces with a touch of amaretto covered a lovely crisp puff pastry "floor" for this tarte tatin style dessert. Atop was a large scoop of rich vanilla ice cream with copious praline crunchies garnished with a huge, perfect mint leaf. The plate was attractively drizzled with a lightly carmelized sugar design.

I think it is easy to see why, after such a lovely meal (and having seen so many other intriguing items on the menu :wub: ) and receiving such warm and generous attention--that I decided to alter my plans and return to Ouest for a second dinner at the Chef's Table....Sequel to follow!!!!

I am thrilled to hear of Southern Girl's wonderful meal at Ouest. I have been keeping up on egullet for over a month now {and, as a matter of fact, learned of the site from my dining experience at the restaurant} and have been addicted to the site ever since!

My wife and I were visiting from Chicago and were referred to the restaurant by the conceirge at our hotel. I hadn't heard of it before. I agree that the food was absolutely divine -yes, the parfait of fois gras was amazing!. Unfortunately, we did not order the tasting menus and I have been regretting that decision. The service was far beyond what I had expected. And { Southern Girl, thank you for remembering names- the hostess, Lindsay, was the one who chatted to tell me about this web site. (We forgot to get a buissness card- If anyone has the email addresses, let me know)}

And to my delight, a few weeks later I saw that Chef David Hawksworth was hosting a Q&A on egullet, and that same week my wife brought home the magazine, Food Arts, also with him in it. I would like to thank Chef Hawksworth again for such a fantastic evening, and I hope to see more about him around!

I used to think that Canada and Vancouver could not have food to compare with the food I can have here. IE. Tru, or Trotter's, but Ouest in Vancouver really can compare- {and especially at Canadian prices! :)}

"The Sequel: Dinner Two at Ouest"

This time I was lucky enough to be seated at the Chef's table directly across from the exhibition kitchen. Chef Hawksworth came over and gave me a small dish of lovely minature heirloom tomatoes (incredibly sweet flavor...almost like candy!) sprinkled with evoo and sea salt to snack on. We discussed what I was in the humor for (I mentioned lots of seafood and squab) and the experience began.

I ordered a bottle of 1999 Jean Marc Brocard "Les Clos" Chablis to enjoy with the seafood to follow.

Amuse Bouche: Green Asparagus Veloute with Truffle Oil

A demi tasse of the bright green, smooth soup arrived...the scent of truffle oil making a nice accompaniment to the asparagus flavor.

First Course: Dungeness Crab Salad with Granny Smith Apples & Fresh Pea Shoots

A two-tiered tian of Dungeness crab mixed with housemade mayonnaise, diced Yukon gold potatoes, diced granny smith apples, chervil and chives arrived surrounded by a peashoot puree. The tier was seperated and topped by thin rounds of dried apple slices. A "salad" of peashoots, chervil and long pieces of chive rested atop the crab stack. The crab, potato apple mix was very lightly dressed so the delicate flavor of the crab was readily apparent. The perfeclty cooked potatoes and the crisp, tart apples added both good textures and flavors.

Second Course-Roast Wild Spring Salmon (Chef Caught) with Tarragon and Noilly-Prat Veloute

The salmon I mentioned in the earlier review appeared perfectly roasted and placed on the light lemon colored veloute dotted with fres tarragon leaves. The medium rare salmon steak was so fresh and tender with a lovely mild salmon flavor. It is so different from what we are normally presented in a restaurant...fish that is usually at least 1 week dead...this was less than 48 hours old. I was reminded how wonderful fresh salmon is :biggrin: ...and the veloute provided just the subtle touch such a beautiful piece of fish deserves.

Third Course: Pan Seared Quebec Foie Gras with Carmelized Belgian Endive, Apricots and Pinneau D'Charentes

Wine: 1998 Chateau Liot Sauterne

Crisp on the outside quivering on the inside...perfectly cooked foie upon the carmelized endive...fresh sauteed apricots dotted the plate. Heaven...a bite of foie accompanied by a sliver of apricot...followed by a sip of sauternes :wub: .

Fourth Course: Roasted Red Snapper with a Salad of Baby Fennel, Oven Dried Cherry Tomatoes & Black Olives

Normally I am not a fan of red snapper...but this dish had enough flavors to accompany the fish that I may have to rethink snapper. The fish arrived on a melange of fennel, dried tomatoes and olives topped with a beer batter black olive basil fritter surrounded by tomato concasse and a touch of basil oil. Again, the fish arrived perfectly cooked...there was also a little hint of vinegar in the vegetable mix which added a nice kick.

Fifth Course: Squab with Ravioli of Shallot and Foie Gras

Wine: 2000 Penfolds Shiraz Mouvedre "Bin 2"

Crispy skinned and medium rare squab came atop diced tomatoes and sauteed spinach with yukon potato puree, sauteed baby asparagus and chanterelles and a freshly made ravioli. By this point I was ready to move to Vancouver!! The squab was ever so tender and the pasta ever so fresh...I watched Chef H making the sheets during service.

I had been watching with interest when the squab dishes were prepared. Most places I have been to buy the partially boned squab...not Ouest...the whole bird is used. It was enjoyable to watch the chef's remove the mest from the bird...with almost no waste...I hate to think what a mess I would have made!

Sixth Course: Quebec Chaput Bouleau with Walnut and Okanagan Raisin Bread

Wine: Blandy's Madeira

I requested this lovely goat cheese I had the first night...still lovely and perfectly aged with the bread and the fresh local fig compote.

Seventh Course: Lemon Tart with Lemon Sorbet

Wine:2000 Marchesi di Gresy Moscato d'Asti "La Serra"

A large slice of tart (tall version...not the normal thin depth...more like a slice of cheesecake in size and height) topped with a spritely tart lemon sorbet. The tart had a delicate creamy texture and a good lemon bite.

Another amazing dinner. Chef Hawksworth and his crew are all very personable, professional and more than eager to please. I especially enjoyed getting to speak with him about individual dishes. He also brought me a copy of Raymond Blancs cookbook to peruse...which I will hunt down and buy. If you go to Vancouver I heartily recommend Ouest.

Thank you again to everyone at Ouest....I am definitely looking forward to returning and exploring more!!!