• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Last Second NC Trip

mjr_inthegardens

My girlfriend and I are feverishly plotting a last minute, 2AM start, driving trip from NYC to NC to do some furniture shopping this weekend.

We are planning on the High Point - Hickory corridor, staying at a hotel in Thomasville.

Is there a good way for me to fit some authentic barbeque or other southern cuisine into my whirlwind trip?

Any and all advice greatly appreciated!!

-MJR

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

If you're staying in Thomasville, you'll be in the heart of "Western" or "Lexington" barbecue country. Lexington #1, also known as "Honey Monks" is a good choice, as many believe it to be the best representative of this style of NC barbecue. Go to this thread for a tour of some lesser known joints, which I think you should try. A simple google search will help you find them all, and they're quite close by to where you'll be staying.

As you head towards Hickory, you leave barbecue country, so make sure you get your fill in the High Point region. Lexington itself has a dozen or so decent establishments.

One final thought: most barbecue restaurants are closed on Sundays, and many are also closed on Monday. So call before you go!

Have fun.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Go check out Varmint's new kitchen! :laugh:

Doesn't sound like it's done yet!!!

I have to call and make sure Furni stores will be open on President's Day... does anyone have any experience with this?

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

President's Day isn't celebrated much down here.  You should be fine, but it wouldn't hurt to call anyway.

It's just a day off for me, eh!

I called Boyles and they are open. I presume the rest will be open as well.

I see that Lexington #1 is open on Mondays!

Cheers

-Max

Brooklyn, NY, USA

If you're staying in Thomasville, you'll be in the heart of "Western" or "Lexington" barbecue country.  Lexington #1, also known as "Honey Monks" is a good choice, as many believe it to be the best representative of this style of NC barbecue.  Go to this thread for a tour of some lesser known joints, which I think you should try.  A simple google search will help you find them all, and they're quite close by to where you'll be staying.

As you head towards Hickory, you leave barbecue country, so make sure you get your fill in the High Point region.  Lexington itself has a dozen or so decent establishments.

One final thought: most barbecue restaurants are closed on Sundays, and many are also closed on Monday.  So call before you go!

Have fun.

Jimmy's, one of the better Lexington cue joints, is open on Sundays. It's right off I-85 at the Southmont exit.

Their cue just melts in your mouth.

Jimmy's, one of the better Lexington cue joints, is open on Sundays. It's right off I-85 at the Southmont exit.

Their cue just melts in your mouth.

Would that be this place?

http://www.ibiblio.org/ch-scene/bbq/jimmys.html

1703 Cotton Grove Road (right at I-85 exit 91)

Lexington (704) 352-2311

cool

thanks, CB.

Brooklyn, NY, USA