• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La Table des Oliviers

Freckles

4 girlfriends and I went to dinner at La Table des Oliviers (38 rue Laugier, 17th) last night. I thought it was wonderful. Well off the beaten tourist-path, it had mostly French clients although there was a table of Spaniards in another room. I noted carefully the treatment we received; often I've found that a women-only group can get 2nd-rate service in Parisian restaurants. But, our wait staff was charming, attentive, welcoming.

I started with an appetizer of small squid (chipirons). Light, drizzled in an olive-oil sauce... so tasty. Followed with a main course of risotto with langoustines. Mmmmm.

We drank a bottle of red Sancerre which was a bit too young, so then switched to a 2003 Pouilly Fume which was much better. I didn't order dessert, but the bites I took of my friends' pear pastry and moeulleux did not disappoint. All of this (oh, plus a tangy apperatif made with almond liqueur) came to under 60 Euros/person.

Add to this: warm yellow walls, the chef's adorable (and ginormous) dog frolicking between the tables as we were leaving, delicious toasted olive bread on the table... I recommend the place.