• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Dog Hegemony

Fresser

I like the Zweigle's (from Rochester, NY) Pop Open Texas Hot Frankfurters. They're amazing...and I've experimented with a lot of dogs, including Usingers. I like them either grilled or broiled, on a buttered New England style bun. Around my parts in Western, NJ, the only place I can find both this dog and the buns are at my church.......Wegmans. Ahhhhhhh.........

To eat good food is to be close to God." -Big Night

I'm certainly not going to speak for all Oregonians, BUT it seems to me that any kind of hot dog, be it pork, beef, kosher, tofu or magic fairy-meat is fine by us. The toppings- mustard/mayo/ketchup/miracle whip/onions/jalapenos/sweet or dill relish/tomatoes/chili/cheese..all are perfectly acceptable.

We have personal preferences but I haven't noticed a regional, Northwest-style type of dog. Whatever gets the juices flowin', it would seem. :biggrin:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Holly Moore gets max credit for introducing me to Usinger's dogs. He's right -- they really are the best. I've taken to always keeping them on hand in the freezer for when I get that hot dog urge.

Normally I prefer mine either fairly plain -- mayo and dijon mustard -- or completely over the top, usually with chili and cheese on a steamed bun that sort of disintegrates. The kind of hot dog you probably ought to eat from a bowl.

However, in a previous thread, somebody suggested that the best way to eat a really good wiener was all by itself sans bun, with a little dollop of spicy mustard for dipping. I've given this a try about eight or nine times, and I have to agree a good dog is best enjoyed in that way, if you want to truly appreciate the texture, the "snap", and the flavor of the wiener.

I think the "Chicago style" salad-dog is a travesty. Sorry, I just don't like it.

Likewise catsup. Huh?? Catsup, granted, is my least favorite condiment, but I really can't see why you'd put catsup on a delicious frank.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

The best hot dog, the actual dog without the trimmings, I've had has to be the pure beef dog from SuperDawg in Chicago.

The trimmings make it expectional, but the physical dog is pure joy! It's plump, juicy, oh so flavorful, it's a true joy to eat.

*hungry now  :hmmm: *

The dog used at SuperDawg is Sinai 48, which is made by Best Kosher. The same company makes Shofar, Sinai 48, Oscherwitz, and Best Kosher. At Wegmans, we have Best Kosher. A good dog; better in my opinion than Vienna. Kosher dogs in general are very good, but I prefer all beef dogs that are kosher style rather than actual kosher. Kosher style usually have a wider range of flavors, while most kosher dogs, while good, are a little too salty and one dimensional.

We also get the Zweigles White Hots at Wegmans. This is a good product, but I would consider it more of a bratwurst than a hot dog. Thicker than a hot dog, white in color, and made of pork, veal, and beef; this really fits the definition of a cooked bratwurst. Johnsonville Stadium Brats are similar.

John the hot dog guy

John: I was wondering how long it would take you to appear here!

Try this: take a bag of all-beef cocktail franks and let them simmer for an hour in equal parts cheap yellow mustard and store-brand currant jelly. The smell will be awful for the first 20 minutes, but then it either (1) gets better or (2) you get used to it. Serve these in a chafing dish over a warmer with toothpicks; only the snobbiest guest will pass them by.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

The dog used at SuperDawg is Sinai 48, which is made by Best Kosher. The same company makes Shofar, Sinai 48, Oscherwitz, and Best Kosher.

Thanks for the info John. I will look into buying them as going to SuperDawg weekly will get annoying.

Maggie

There's a yummy in my tummy.

I prefer mine all beef (ideally from Usinger) split, grilled, on a toasted, buttered New England style hotdog bun with brown mustard (or Raye's Mustard Mill yellow Factory Mustard), chopped fresh onion and a good, spicy Texas Wiener Sauce.

Oh, that reminds me: On your recommendation, I stopped by AJ's Texas Wieners a few weeks back and had their chili dog. The dog was fine, the chili seemed a bit thin.

Now I'm jonesin' for a chili dog, and I've got to turn in.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3