• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fondue in the Bay Area

rhiannonstone

I really really want fondue for my birthday, and since I absolutely refuse to cook on my birthday and my boyfriend just plain refuses to cook, this means we've got to go out for it. :) I'd planned on going to The Melting Pot in San Jose, but I didn't realize until I just looked at the website that it (or the proposed SF location) isn't open yet. The website says "sometime in March 2005," and my birthday is the first of March, so I imagine it's not going to be open in time. So, any other fondue resturants we can go to? A Google search has turned up Fondue Fred's here in Berkeley (with terrible reviews) and La Fondue in Saratoga (with not many reviews). What do y'all think of either of those places, and are there any others? I'm definitely looking for a restaurant that specializes in fondue, not just a place with one cheese and one chocolate fondue on the menu.

I'm also willing to expand my request for fondue to include shabu-shabu places, which I'd like to eventually check out anyway, as I very much miss Shabu Zen in Boston.

Edited by rhiannonstone (log)

He was a bold man that first eat an oyster. --Jonathan Swift

I ate at La Fondue once, but it was over 10 years ago so I'm hesitant to comment on it now. I remember we had a nice time and that it was expensive on a post doc's salary but can't recall much beyond that.

I've heard of a restaurant in SF called Matterhorn but have not yet been there. Withour more info, I'd probably try this over La Fondue.

The last few years we've been making our own fondue with friends that have a setup during Lake Tahoe skiing weekends. My parents just gave me their 1970's fondue set, so I'm hoping to do some at home too. The price of dinner *would* probably buy a nice new one! :smile:

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Fondue Fred's in Berkeley has been around since the early 70's. I've always found it a fun place to go with reasonably decent food. I've never heard any complaints either from friends who've eaten there. It is on Telegraph Avenue near the campus. The address is 2556 Telegraph inside a small mini-mall, between Blake and Parker St's.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

My son and his wife live in San Jose and when I visit them, they always round up a bunch of their friends and take me to the La Fondue in Saratoga. My son and his friends are all early 30s, and it's one of their favorite places. We try to get at least 5 or 6 folks to come with (so we get two burners) and we order the "Fondue Feast" for everyone. Thus far, everything has been very, very good, and it's fun. For dessert, we get two kinds of chocolate fondue. Don't remember what they are, but one has booze in it.

http://www.lafondue.com

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I remember La Fondue being the place to take a date. Every one of my friends took at least one date there back in my early 20's :laugh:. I haven't been there in over 10 years but I remember having a good time and enjoying the food.

Edited by esvoboda (log)

I'll pitch in for La Fondue. I ate their about 5 years ago and loved it. Atmosphere is cool and the food pretty good. Had a great time. And from what I remember you can get a hibachi grill style dinner or a traditional fondue style. The options for meat was fairly extensive and you get to choose your broth. So the place has options unlike a highly toughted fondue place down here in San Diego.

Anyway, I haven't been to the other places mentioned but my wife and I did like La Fondue.

Cheers,

Bob

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

I've heard of a restaurant in SF called Matterhorn but have not yet been there.

The last few years we've been making our own fondue with friends...The price of dinner *would* probably buy a nice new one!  :smile:

Hi...

My wife and I ate at Matterhorn (http://matterhorn.citysearch.com/) with friends a couple years ago. It is a pretty fun destination restaurant. It is all done up with Swiss Tchotschkes and I seem to remember the waitresses wearing alpine costumes. The food is very good and seemed quite authentic.

I agree with ludja that fondue parties with friends at home are probably more fun. Or maybe just one course of fondue in a meal. Three courses of fondue is a little much. Though, for the carb avoiders in the audience, it is probably the perfect restaurant.

Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I agree with ludja that fondue parties with friends at home are probably more fun.  Or maybe just one course of fondue in a meal.  Three courses of fondue is a little much.  Though, for the carb avoiders in the audience, it is probably the perfect restaurant.

Erik

Well like I said, I'm certainly not cooking on my birthday, and my bf doesn't cook, so fondue at home just ain't happenin'. :) I actually quite enjoy making a meal out of the fondue experience, not for any dietary reasons (because my god, how I love carbs!), but because I really enjoy the food. Our standard Melting Pot meal whenever we go with friends in NC is usually a salad, a cheese fondue, a flavored cooking broth, and a chocolate for dessert. Although honestly, I could live without the chocolate fondue for dessert and just have a normal dessert--or another pot of cheese. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion for the Matterhorn. I'll definitely have to check it out sometime, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for for my b'day dinner.

Wanted to add that the La Fondue in Saratoga also features an upscale, interesting decor. It's a perfect place for a nice birthday dinner.

Here are some of the reviews (from their website):

"Best Restaurant and Best Dessert"

--Best of City Search 2004

"Best Restaurant"

--Metro 2004

"Best Restaurant - 2003, 2004, Best Romantic Restaurant - 2003, Best Restaurant For A Splurge - 2003"

--San Jose Mercury News

"Line up for a no show at this popular Saratoga restaurant."

--Sunset Magazine 2002

"Indulgence Incarnate", Very Romantic & Very Fun. "A Harry Potter's Delight"

--Zagat Review 2002

"The Best Places To Kiss in Northern California."

--"A Romantic Travel Guide"

"A wonderful place for dinner"

--Fodor's 98, San Francisco

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So, rhiannonstone....

Please let us all know. Where did you wind up going? How was it? Would you recommend it to others?

I actually ended up forgoing fondue and having an unsatisfactory birthday dinner at Ruth's Chris, which I found to be overpriced and over-atmosphered for the quality of food. :/

We'll be going to a show at the Mountain Winery in Saratoga in a couple months, though, and I plan on checking out La Fondue then.

I actually ended up forgoing fondue and having an unsatisfactory birthday dinner at Ruth's Chris, which I found to be overpriced and over-atmosphered for the quality of food. :/

Ah, well..... Such is life, eh? :cool:

Ah, well.....  Such is life, eh?  :cool:

Yep. I wanted to know what all the fuss was about Ruth's Chris, and now I know--nothing! ;) Learn by doing and all that.