• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit Brandies (and other things)

LindyCat

Hi there. Another Chicago dweller for the forum!

My husband and I are fairly new to the world of cocktails, very pleased to have discovered the world beyond wine, and experimenting a lot with new cocktails. We have a few questions:

For recipes calling for fruit brandies, like apricot brandy or cherry brandy, are they asking for a cordial-like flavored brandy (how we've been making them) or an eau-de-vie?

We are currently making all our cocktails out of the Bartender's Bible, and a lovely coffee table book called Cocktails that someone gave us. There are so many other books out there...can someone recommend a few stand-outs?

Finally, as we start to experiment with making up our own drinks, are there any general guidelines or properties that help make sure our concoctions are not undrinkable wastes of fine gin?

Thanks!

Generally speaking, when drinks call for fruit brandies, they're designed for the sweet kind. A recipe will usually call for an eau de vie if that's what's meant.

Books: I'm sure other will chime in here, but my first serious cocktail book was Cocktail: The Drinks Bible for the 21st Century by Paul Harrington, and it remains one of my favorites. It is, unfortunately, out of print, but you might be able to find a copy on Amazon. For classic drinks, you could try Dr. Cocktail (Ted Haigh)'s relatively new book, Vintage Spirits and Forgotton Cocktails (click here for an earlier thread on the book). I love Dave Wondrich's book, Esquire Drinks, because it makes me laugh out loud whenever I read it. Gary Regan's Joy of Mixology is a good one if you want to experiment: the entire middle section consists of charts of drinks by "family" so it's easy to see what substitutions are possible or desirable.

Or, you can always check out CocktailDB, a fabulous online resource from Dr. Cocktail and Martin Doudoroff.

I love Dave Wondrich's book, Esquire Drinks, because it makes me laugh out loud whenever I read it.

Not at the drinks, I hope! Thanks, Jaz!

--DW

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895