• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stews in Japan

torakris

I tried the aformentioned soymilk and corn cream stew the other day, and I've gotta say, in a weird way, it was pretty good! The flavor of the roux mix is very, very artificial tasting (think watermelon or banana "flavored" things) buttered corn. I used some kabocha, satsuma imo, broccoli, diced onion, garlic and deep fried cubes of tofu. Had it with rice, and it turned out really well. I'm interested in trying it with seafood, or maybe adding some real corn in. The thing I love about Japanese stews is that you can basically add in whatever you have on hand.

I also bought some Hiyashi roux mix. I have no idea what it is, it just looks vaguely brown :blink:

I tried the aformentioned soymilk and corn cream stew the other day, and I've gotta say, in a weird way, it was pretty good! The flavor of the roux mix is very, very artificial tasting (think watermelon or banana "flavored" things) buttered corn. I used some kabocha, satsuma imo, broccoli, diced onion, garlic and deep fried cubes of tofu. Had it with rice, and it turned out really well. I'm interested in trying it with seafood, or maybe adding some real corn in. The thing I love about Japanese stews is that you can basically add in whatever you have on hand.

I also bought some Hiyashi roux mix. I have no idea what it is, it just looks vaguely brown :blink:

You didn't know about Hayashi (not Hiyashi, right?) and you bought it?? It's basically demi-glass sauce with some tomato sauce added. It's quite tasty. You won't regret you bought it. The Japanese often have it with rice (thus, hayashi rice).

It is hayashi, not hiyashi. I'm slowly making my way through Uwajimaya's (hte biggest Japanese grocery store in Seattle) selection of roux bases. The picture on the package looked like beef stew so I figured the flavor had to be similar. I think I'll have it tomorrow night for dinner and report back..

OK, what is cream stew exactly? Does it have a western equivalent or is it a made-in-Japan food? And can it be made without the store-bought roux?

Cream stew is basically a stew thickened with a bechamel (white) sauce. You can make it yourself by cooking butter/oil with flour, then add milk and bring to a boil while stirring. Most all Japanese stews are French-influenced fusion cuisine from the early 20th century. Notice that meat stews you get at good yoshoku restaurants use homemade demi glace, or at least an espagnol sauce. My favorite among these yoshoku stews is tongue stew.

I call that a Gravy for some reason and I Ladal it over Biscuts.. hehe

• 4 months later...

A friend of mine whose husband works for House Foods gave me this pack of Kinoko Stew, she said it is her favorite stew product.

gallery_6134_4148_461866.jpg

I forgot to take a picture of the stew itself... sorry

I really liked it and my 3 kids loved it as well. I will be making it again.

The package suggests using chicken, shimeji, eryngii, onions and broccoli, I picked up what was on sale :biggrin: so my version included thinly sliced pork, shimeji, shiitake and onions.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 1 year later...

They finally brought it back!

Pumpkin stew roux

Back in the early '90's I fell in love with a pumpkin stew mix that I always purchased at a Japanese market in the US, when I moved to Japan in 1995 I was surprised to discover it wasn't on the shelves here. I can't remember which company put it out before but I am happy to see Glico has put out a version.

I only hope it isn't just here for the Halloween season.....

Now if they would bring back the green pea stew one as well. :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"