• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking caffeine

Fresser

I've given up coffee several times over the years. But now I drink 2-3 cups each morning, more on the weekends. I don't usually want it in the afternoon and I prefer a good espresso for after dinner, if at all. Luckily it doesn't seem to disrupt my sleep or my stomach. As far as discoloring my teeth, that's what Crest Whitestrips are for! :biggrin: I think tea is actually worse for your tooth color. My cup at work gets serious stains from tea but not from coffee.

When I tried to quit cold turkey, the headaches were horrible. Cutting back and easing to decaf is an easier route to take.

KathyM

i quit coffee about 3 years ago, totally, because i was getting panick attacks and tremors from it.

if i get a headache now and then, i'll buy a small can of Coke to get rid of it.

but in the process i became a green tea fanatic (love it), and now look forward to my morning tea ritual. (even though green tea is reputed to contain caffeine, i don't think it's the same chemically, and it certainly doesn't make me feel as coffee does...)

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

(even though green tea is reputed to contain caffeine, i don't think it's the same chemically, and it certainly doesn't make me feel as coffee does...)

It is the same chemically, but there is generally less caffeine in green tea than in black. This has nothing to do with the drying/fermentation process; caffeine content in tea depends on many factors - strain of tea bush, time of harvest, climate, location of plantation, etc.

Individual batches of green tea may have more caffeine than individual batches of black; the rule is very general.

Upton Tea has a good article on the subject in their archives (I've posted this link before), as well as some of the best teas on the planet.

(Disclaimer: I am not a shill for Upton, just a huge fan.)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I usually have four cups of coffee a day, in the morning. By afternoon time, I have no taste for coffee, and I guess anyway it's already done its job.

I won't even consider quitting. It's not just that I need it to wake up. I like coffee too much to stop drinking it. It doesn't bother my sleep (unless I have a cup in the evening, which I don't), doesn't upset my stomache, and if I drank decaffeinated tea it would make me pee just as much! (It's the liquid, not the caffeine.) I quit cigarettes, I gave up carbonated beverages -- the coffee stays!! :biggrin:

I don't think caffeine really affects a coffee's taste that much.

True but as already pointed out... the decaffienation process does affect taste. Try finding a good quality bean, preferably Swiss Water process or Co2 process, that is fresh roasted. It's worth mentioning that fresh roasted decaf does not hold as well as regular coffee - it hits its peak and starts to decline in about five days, even if properly stored in an airtight lightproof container. There's about a ten day window with regular coffee.

I haev done the gradual weaning process a few times and for years I drank "half-caf" by mixing beans. These days I just drink less but I think my switch to almost excusively espresso drinks has been a factor - there's less caffiene.

I also find that decaf drip often coffee benefits from using a blend of beans whereas regular coffee seems (to me) to show its attributes best when a straight varietal is consumed.

We do a blend of Sulawesi, Sumatran and Colombian decaf - equal parts of each. I made a vac pot of this for my guests at Thanksgiving this year. They tasted it and were skeptical that it could possibly be decaf - it was that good.

For those who've menioned that coffee affects their stomach in a negative waay - it's most likely the acidity and not the caffiene. Try finding a medium roast Sulawesi Toroja bean. It's very low acid and often works for folks who can't drink other coffees.

Glad you brought up this subject.  I've been thinking about quitting coffee except for an occasional cup.  Morning coffee is my main source of caffeine.  I enjoy good coffee and drink just high test or espresso, but have always imagined why drink coffee without caffeine...

But how would I get awake in the morning?  How are you quitters doing, waking up without it?

All ya have to do is get yourself two hyper Australian Shepherds who think going outside at 6:30 am is their Dog-given right. Let them step on your bare toes a couple of times as you stumble to the door, and you will be wide awake. :angry:

And a good glug of cold water or OJ helps, too.

sparrowgrass

if I drank decaffeinated tea it would make me pee just as much! (It's the liquid, not the caffeine.) I quit cigarettes, I gave up carbonated beverages -- the coffee stays!!  :biggrin:

Not quite. Caffeine is a known diuretic. It will actually dehydrate you if you aren't getting enough water to compensate.

(Maybe I should start signing myself "notorious stickler" too, at least when I'm posting about tea.)

Caffeine is my last remaining "vice" too at this point so I'm certainly in sympathy with your post! :smile:

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I am beginning to wonder how much of the symptoms of giving up the all day coffee habit has to do with hydration. Are you substituting something else? About 20 years ago I got up close and personal with kidney stones. I mean record breaking, medical history museum type kidney stones. After recovering from the surgery, that was enough of an incentive to take up water drinking. Since then, I drink water all day long. At home, I have my big water mugs that go with me everywhere. At work, I don't even go to a meeting without my big water bottle. I have been off and on coffee drinking over the years, from a cup always at hand to maybe one or two cups in the morning only. I have never noticed headaches or any other effect when I abruptly go off coffee for whatever reason. This is totally non-scientific and anecdotal but I am wondering if the consistent background water consumption has anything to do with it. I am sure that the well documented effects of caffeine and the variability of individuals has a lot to do with it but there may be something to the hydration aspect.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I am beginning to wonder how much of the symptoms of giving up the all day coffee habit has to do with hydration. Are you substituting something else? About 20 years ago I got up close and personal with kidney stones. I mean record breaking, medical history museum type kidney stones. After recovering from the surgery, that was enough of an incentive to take up water drinking. Since then, I drink water all day long. At home, I have my big water mugs that go with me everywhere. At work, I don't even go to a meeting without my big water bottle. I have been off and on coffee drinking over the years, from a cup always at hand to maybe one or two cups in the morning only. I have never noticed headaches or any other effect when I abruptly go off coffee for whatever reason. This is totally non-scientific and anecdotal but I am wondering if the consistent background water consumption has anything to do with it. I am sure that the well documented effects of caffeine and the variability of individuals has a lot to do with it but there may be something to the hydration aspect.

Actually, as ghostrider pointed out, caffeine is itself a diuretic. On the other hand, the caffeine is taken with lots of water, which would tend to counter the diuretic effect.

I dont know for sure, but I doubt that dehydration explains caffeine withdrawal headaches, because people with ready access to liquids rarely allow themselves to become dehydrated (though there are exceptions). Plus, administering caffeine alone can cure a caffeine-withdrawl headache, and heachaches in people who are not big caffeine consumers (which is why so many OTC heachache pills contain caffeine).

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Glad you brought up this subject.  I've been thinking about quitting coffee except for an occasional cup.  Morning coffee is my main source of caffeine.  I enjoy good coffee and drink just high test or espresso, but have always imagined why drink coffee without caffeine...

But how would I get awake in the morning?  How are you quitters doing, waking up without it?

All ya have to do is get yourself two hyper Australian Shepherds who think going outside at 6:30 am is their Dog-given right. Let them step on your bare toes a couple of times as you stumble to the door, and you will be wide awake. :angry:

And a good glug of cold water or OJ helps, too.

Oh. :laugh:... another advantage, or disadvantage -- whichever way you look at it, for being pet-free at the moment.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I went off caffeine when I discovered I was pregnant in November. I know that some Drs. think it's fine to drink a cup or two of coffee when pregnant, but I wasn't sure, so I went cold turkey. The daze lasted for about a week (although it was probably as much due to being shocked by the news as the lack of caffeine!). Since then, I haven't had any trouble waking up, although the ritual of a hot drink in the morning has led me to hot chocolate (I figure I need the milk, too!). I do allow myself one Diet Coke a week, because I just really like fizzy drinks.

Post-baby, I will go back to drinking coffee. I have never had more than two cups a day, and I don't really see a reason to deny myself when I just really really like it! I have never been able to drink coffee at night, though, without it keeping me up. Which had its purpose in college, but now I prefer my sleep. :)

I make my coffee way too strong, and drink way too much of it, and notice that the instant stuff in particular upsets my stomach. And yes, slooowly is the way to decrease caffeine without getting headaches!

Husband was drinking coffee at work (always drinks tea at home) but cut it out a few weeks back. His extremely sensitive stomach has been much better for it. (That's just a FYI since I know he's not the only skinny guy with an easily upset stomach out there!).

What I need to get me off coffee is a substitute that's quick to make and not too expensive! I drink coffee mainly when I'm glued to the computer translating - don't want to break my concentration or take too much time to prepare a hot drink, yet I'm in the habit of sipping a hot cup of something as I work... :sad:

Hints for palatable alternatives? And yes, green tea has plenty of caffeine. I do drink it, but find it makes my mouth dry.

Actually, as ghostrider pointed out, caffeine is itself a diuretic. On the other hand, the caffeine is taken with lots of water, which would tend to counter the diuretic effect.

I dont know for sure, but I doubt that dehydration explains caffeine withdrawal headaches, because people with ready access to liquids rarely allow themselves to become dehydrated (though there are exceptions). Plus, administering caffeine alone can cure a caffeine-withdrawl headache, and heachaches in people who are not big caffeine consumers (which is why so many OTC heachache pills contain caffeine).

Oops! I got it wrong. Caffeine by itself is not an analgesic. Rather it increases the analgesic effect of acetaminophen and aspirin when they are taken together.

I read an interesting article yesterday that was discussing what has been learned about how caffeine increases arousal. I relate it as best I can, but be advises I could have it wrong. Anyway, the thinking now is that caffeine exerts its arousing effect by acting as an antagonist at adenosine receptors in the brain. Adenosine production is related to brain activity, and since there is much more of that during the day, concentrations of adenosine in the brain rise during the day. As more and more adenosine is produced and binds to adenosine receptors during the day, it increases sleepiness. At a certain brain concentration of adenosine, sleep is all but irresistable. Caffeine, and theophlline as well, act as temporary antagonists at the receptors, so that even though adenosine concentrations go on increasing normally, they can not bind to their receptors and exert their sleep-promoting effect.

Lots more information available with a Google search for adenosine+sleep.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh