• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pots & Pans, Optimal Shape?

hwilson41

In comparing this pan to the current object of my desire, I can see that it is a bit deeper by 0.4" but what I can't tell is if there is less flat surface in the new pan. For my purposes, that would be a good thing. Please clarify.

Didn't I say the the flat surface was 5.5"'s? :blink:

Yep. What I can't find is the flat surface area in my original choice.

If you're talking about the 11" sauciere, the diameter of the flat surface is 9.5 inches. See my post above:

--

Actually, it is 2.0mm, but is very substantial nevertheless....

The fact that it's 2.0mm rather than 2.5mm might actually be a benefit if overall performance includes practicality. The northern Chinese woks with their long single handles are picked up and the contents tossed about. In Breath of a Wok there's a close-up photo of a Chinese restaurant cook's forearm demonstrating the muscularity that one achieves from doing this all day. Although they are of different designs, it might be interesting to know how the weight of this new pan compares to that of the curved sauteuse evasee as some may be choosing between the two.

<p><font size="2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">The 4.5 qt. Sauciére weighs in at 8.5 lbs., the wokster at 5.5 lbs. You can tell from the image comparing the two, plus a 3 qt. Sauciére, that it is a smaller pan and that the long handle is much smaller than the monster on the large Sauciére. In fact, it is the same handle found on the 8" fry pan.<br>

BTW, if anyone can think of a good name for this pan, let me know.</font></p>

<p><font size="2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><a href="http://copperpans.com/Media/pancomp.jpg">Image 1</a><br>

</font></p>

Edited by mharpo (log)

Michael Harp

CopperPans.com

...BTW, if anyone can think of a good name for this pan, let me know.</font></p>

<p><font size="2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><a href="http://copperpans.com/Media/pancomp.jpg">Image 1</a><br>

</font></p>

Hum, the shape of this pan is like nothing I have in my kitchen...this could be interesting!

Regarding a name for your new baby: perhaps a contest?? BTW, the Falk pans look really nice among the cookbooks...

...BTW, if anyone can think of a good name for this pan, let me know.</font></p>

</font></p>

Hum, the shape of this pan is like nothing I have in my kitchen...this could be interesting!

Regarding a name for your new baby: perhaps a contest?? BTW, the Falk pans look really nice among the cookbooks...

Yes, a contest is a great idea! Name the Pan. Prize is the pan with lid... Why don't you start a thread for it? I hate to do anything that looks like trying sell pans here... Though, I guess I should do it, since it would be my contest. What do others think?

So, officially there is a contest to name the pan. If I select one of the names, and I'm not promising I will, I'll give the winner the pan. :smile:

Michael Harp

CopperPans.com

Yes, a contest is a great idea!  Name the Pan.  Prize is the pan with lid...  Why don't you start a thread for it?  I hate to do anything that looks like trying sell pans here...  Though, I guess I should do it, since it would be my contest.  What do others think?

So, officially there is a contest to name the pan.  If I select one of the names, and I'm not promising I will, I'll give the winner the pan.  :smile:

Yes! :biggrin::biggrin: and it IS your contest....I think this would be great fun...but better check with the officials first...

I couln't conceive of using my Falk with SS covers! Besides the great cooking qualities of the Falk, it just looks great!

I have the large saucier and while it is heavy, it is great to work with. The large Saute pan is quite a handfull but I like and use it so much, that i am ready to order another as soon as Mike gives me a good deal!-Dick

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sam,

Well, I finally went for it and bought three Falk pans: 11" Fry, 4.5 qt Sauciere and a 2 qt Fait Tout from Mike at Copperpans.com.

I've been going back and forth on whether to plunk down serious change for very good cookware or just keep what I have as inefficient as it may be. I probably didn't need to spend the extra money over some other pan that could be just as efficient but as you pointed out the extra money over the span of 10+ years is pretty cheap indeed.

Do you think this is a good starter set? What pieces would you recommend beyond these?

I remember reading in one or two of your numerous posts that you use the curved Sautuese for most of your cooking. Some will be obvious, but could you please give several examples of the uses for the Sauciere and the Fait Tout?

Thanks for all your knowledge that helped me choose proper cookware.

Cheers,

Bob

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

• 2 weeks later...
I agree wholeheartedly.  I wish I didn't have to sell any lids--they're a pain.  Many are damaged in transit from Belgiuim and if one has even the slightest of defects, most people want to return it...

This kind of straight talk is why I like to give my business to Falk.

Has there ever been any thought of offering a stainless cover as a lower-priced option?

Sam, I have considered it in the past and don't remember why I didn't do anything about it. In fact, I talked with the owner of Demeyer about supplying me lids, but he wanted me to arder a minimum of 300 each, as I recall. I know some people at Vollrath, maybe I'll get in touch with them. It's a good idea...

Michael,

I think offering a stainless lid option would be great. But I do think it is importaint that whatever lid you offer be both high quality and aesthetic.

Now if I could only get a 2.5MM copper clad pot with magnetic stainless... :-) [Edit: with a stainless or other dishwasher friendly handle. And, yes, I remember what Sam wrote about the cost of adding a SS handle. But I'd rather put the money into SS handle and a SS lid than spend money on a copper lid.]

BTW, I received the 4.5 qt. sauciere on Friday (Fifi, isn't this the one you are looking at?). Haven't unwrapped it yet since it is a gift for my wife, but sure looks nice, even through the bubble wrap! Thanks!

-john

Edited by JohnN (log)

BTW, I received the 4.5 qt. sauciere on Friday (Fifi, isn't this the one you are looking at?).  Haven't unwrapped it yet since it is a gift for my wife, but sure looks nice, even through the bubble wrap!  Thanks!

-john

hum...a gift for your wife, you say? But then, she'll let YOU use it no??? :laugh:

BTW, I received the 4.5 qt. sauciere on Friday (Fifi, isn't this the one you are looking at?).  Haven't unwrapped it yet since it is a gift for my wife, but sure looks nice, even through the bubble wrap!  Thanks!

-john

hum...a gift for your wife, you say? But then, she'll let YOU use it no??? :laugh:

Yah, well... Um.. [looks embarassed]

-john

Edited by JohnN (log)

From a heat transfer standpoint, a 2mm cooper pan will heat faster than a 2.5mm cooper pan, the inside coating material and thickness being equal, once they are up to temperature there is no difference. Heat flow is heat flow as long as the conductivity of the material is the same. What drives the flow of heat is the temperature gradient across the material, the higher the gradient, the higher the flow of heat, as the material in contact with the inside of the pan heats up, the gradient decreases and the flow of heat decreases, if the outside of the pan and the inside of the pan are at the same temperature, there is no flow of heat. In practical terms, the inside of the pan is in contact with the atmosphere and convection with a little conduction keeps the pan inside temp lower and there is always heat flow.

So why 2.5 vs 2.00 mm?, durability plus if you take the thickness of the lining to the limit of thin, you will eventually be cooking at the flame temperature(I hope we all use gas!). I suspect that by trial and error 2.5 was established as optimum and 2.00 is an attempt to economise.

Why tin vs SS? Tin was the first process used and easier to manage then performing a bond between copper and ss using heat and mechanical rolling and forming.-Dick

Speaking of confusing, what's the deal with the Mauviel copper non-stick frypan? It's definitely optimal, uh, something.

I can see how someone might want this who cooked a lot of super-delicate fish or something like that, and wanted the ultimate in thermal charcteristics. But, man... I'd have to have a lot of money burning a hole in my pocket before I spent 170 bucks on a nonstick frypan which, because it is nonstick, has a finite useful lifespan.

You know, that need not be the case if they offered a re-finishing service.

-john