• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezing wine

jgm

I recently read a tip in a magazine that indicated you could freeze leftover wine for later use in cooking, such as saucemaking. Does anybody do this? It certainly would be handy, since I'm the only wine drinker in the house. But I'm a little suspicious.

Thumbs up? Thumbs down? :blink:

For cooking, no problem freezing it. But if you do the ice cube tray thing, you may want to wrap your trays in a plastic bag. Some refrigerators contribute to ice cube evaporation, and it would be pronounced with alcohol. Also, your freezer is not odor-free, so that's another reason for a airtight seal.

If you do anything at all with red wine reduction sauces, you can make such a sauce ahead of time, and then freeze the reduction in an ice cube tray. That way, you can only take out as much reduction as you need for a particular preparation.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero