• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
Krys Stanley

What is your favorite loaf of bread?

We are so fortunate to have so much excellent bread in this area. What do you like?

I love the Como bread by DOWNTOWN BAKERY (at Ferry Plaza Market). Dense and yeasty, I use thick slabs of it for breakfast with jam. In the summer, it is perfect for fresh tomatoes, absorbing the juices without falling apart. My favorite dish to welcome autumn is gypsy peppers and sausage fried in Sciabica’s spicy, emerald green first press olive oil with a thick slab of Como bread.

I don't think this is traditional Como bread like the one at Grand Central. It is more like a heavy loaf of white bread. It doesn't seem to match the recipes for Como bread that use biga and cornmeal. There is no cornmeal in this bread.

MOSCOW AND TBILIS BAKERY STORE on Geary has a nice European rye . It is not your artisan crusty rye, but close to the rye a lot of the neighborhood Polish bakeries made in the area I grew up in. Not worth going out of your way for, but nice if you are in the neighborhood. It could be a nostalgia thing for me.

In terms of baguettes to go with my cheese, I like, in order of preference, Cheeseboard/Arizmundi’s, Acme and Bay Breads. Is there a baguette you like better?

Edited by Krys Stanley (log)

For baguettes, my favorite is Bakers of Paris. I like Semifreddi's Sweet Batard or and Grace Bakery's Pugiliese for toast and sandwiches.

For specialty breads, Noe Valley Bakery makes a great Asiago bread, although I haven't had it in ages.

I don't buy loaves. But my favorite baguette, and hands down my vote for the best baguette in America, is Acme. Although semifreddi's, which is available at Albertson's, is very good in a pinch.

Artisan Bakers dry jack and garlic.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

I love Acme's pain au levain - it toasts up so nicely. Most often, we buy our bread at Arizmendi (city bread, baguettes or baguette pieces, wolverines, chocolate things, cheese rolls... mmmm). As a fallback for when Arizmendi's not open, there are also the baguettes at most of the Asian groceries lining International Blvd. between the lake and about 14th Ave, but they're a bit fluffier than I really like. Excellent for banh mi, of course, but for eating as is I like a bread that gives my teeth a bit more to do. :biggrin:

"The dinner table is the center for the teaching and practicing not just of table manners but of conversation, consideration, tolerance, family feeling, and just about all the other accomplishments of polite society except the minuet." - Judith Martin (Miss Manners)

In no particular order...

Baguette at the Cheese Board in Berkeley

Anything from De la Fattoria...

Olive Bread from Acme

Acme---

Walnut Wheat

Rye

Olive Bread

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

i'm with lexica. acme pain au levain is my favorite. as for baguettes, i love la farine's rustic baguette. i may be biased though, since i used to work there.

dexygus

Acme, though I'm working on producing decent artisan quality bread on my own.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

as for baguettes, i love la farine's rustic baguette.  i may be biased though, since i used to work there.

La Farine's rustic baguette is my favorite as well. Somehow I almost always have the good fortune of turning up there while they are still warm. The Acme baguettes run a very close second and since they are available nearby, they are what we most often end up with.

I used to be thrilled by the english muffins at Arizimendi (the Grand/Lakeshore one in Oakland). Six for $2.50, fresh and large.

But they go stale very quickly. Like, overnight. You really have to use them the same day.

I still like them, but one can eat only so many english muffins. I go back there when it's a long weekend and we make potato salad, but otherwise we just make our own bread, and bemoan the lack of variety.

I'm not much of a bread lover but I picked up an Acme sourdough levain at the local Draeger's market here and it put a smile on my face. :smile:

For baguettes, my favorite is Bakers of Paris.

Wow, are they still around? A friend worked there many years ago (early 80's maybe?) - I finally tossed out an old bag last week - let's just say, some things are better off trashed. But I recall them having great products.

For baguettes, my favorite is Bakers of Paris.

Wow, are they still around?

I think they only sell wholesale now, except for one last shop out on Taraval, and that might not even be there anymore. But you can find their products at some Bay Area markets. I even get them at Safeway (the one on Market). I've always liked the fact that they make demi-baguettes and mini-baguettes, since the main problem with baguettes is that they don't keep at all.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Pastrypastmidnight
      So I tried my hand at croissants for the first time in about 5 years. I used the recipe from the Bouchon Bakery cookbook. Despite the fact that I really struggled rolling them out (the dough was very stiff and resisted rolling), tore the dough layer in small patches quite a bit on the last turn, and probably took too long letting the butter get too warm, I got nice layers on the outside and on the interior and they did shatter nicely on the outside. I did not get that beautiful open honeycomb interior, however. 

I’d love any tips or feedback or advice anyone could offer to do better next time—thanks!

• By curls
      So, what is everyone doing for the pastry & baking side of Easter?

I'm working on the following chocolates: fruit & nut eggs, hollow bunnies, Jelly Belly filled bunnies, coconut bunnies, dragons (filled with rice krispies & chocolate), peanut butter hedgehogs, and malted milk hens. Hoping to finish my dark chocolate production today and get started on all my milk chocolate items.

My father-in-law will be baking the traditional family Easter bread a day or two before Easter. Its an enriched bread and he makes two versions -- one with raisins and one without (I prefer the one with raisins).

And I was lucky enough to spot this couple in the sale moulds stock at last year's eGullet chocolate & confections workshop in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario. These love bunnies help so very much with Easter chocolate production!  ;-)

• By Rene_lorraine
      I'm a pastry cook working in NYC. We have a seasonal bread that we do with chickpeas, garlic (fresh and confit) and pecorino. We drain and rinse the chickpeas and it was working for a while but it hasn't been consistent. Bread turns out flat. What is it in chickpeas that kills the yeast and how can we counteract the effect? I'm taking a long shot by posting but wanted to further educate myself and fellow team members. Thanks so much. 
    • By Tara Middleton
      Alright so as of a few months ago, I decided to take an impromptu trip to Europe--mostly unplanned but with several priorities set in mind: find the best food and locate the most game-changing ice cream spots on the grounds of each city I sought out for. One of the greatest, most architecturally unique and divine cities I have visited thus far has gotta be Vienna, Austria. But what in the heck is there to eat over there?! (you might ask). 'Cause I sure as hell didn't know. So, I desperately reached out to a local Viennese friend of mine, who knows and understands my avid passion for all things edible, and she immediately shot back some must-have food dishes. Doing a bit of research beforehand, I knew I had to try the classic "Kasekreiner". Please forgive my German if I spelled that wrong. But no matter how you say it- say it with passion, because passion is just about all I felt when I ate it. Translated: it basically means cheese sausage. Honestly, what is there not to love about those two words. Even if that's not necessarily your go-to, do me a favor and give it a shot. Trust me, you won't regret it. A classic Austrian pork sausage with pockets of melty cheese, stuffed into a crisp French Baguette. No ketchup necessary (...and as an American, that's saying a lot). YUM. Best spot to try out this one-of-a-kind treat?! Bitzinger bei der Albertina – Würstelstand. Now here's a shot of me with my one true love in front of this classic Viennese green-domed building-- Karlskirche. Now, go check it.

• By pastrygirl
      If so, what was it like?  Sounds similar to kouign-aman ... https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-44486529