• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Joe's Pub

scase805

I'm heading up to NYC from the friendly confines of the Jerz on Wednesday night to catch a fellow South Jersian, Amos Lee at Joe's Pub in East Village. My question is this: how is the food at Joe's? Is it worth it to eat there and get good seats for the show, or should we look into something better close by? Also, I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive, as the Whole Foods bonus has not kicked in yet :sad:

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Cheers,

Scott

P.S. here's a link to Amos Lee's website , he's pretty great, definitely worth seeing in such an intimate setting as Joe's!

Exceptional food + wine tours of Sicily & Puglia.

Export manager: regional Italian foods

Blogging at: Getting Lost in Sicily

"At the table, you forget your troubles."

- Sicilian proverb

I'm heading up to NYC from the friendly confines of the Jerz on Wednesday night to catch a fellow South Jersian, Amos Lee at Joe's Pub in East Village.  My question is this: how is the food at Joe's?  Is it worth it to eat there and get good seats for the show, or should we look into something better close by?  Also, I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive, as the Whole Foods bonus has not kicked in yet  :sad:

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Cheers,

Scott

P.S. here's a link to Amos Lee's website , he's pretty great,  definitely worth seeing in such an intimate setting as Joe's!

The food isn't bad, at least it wasn't the last time I ate there (nearly a year ago). You can find a menu at http://66.40.251.27/web_joes/dining_menu.cfm

Having said that, the main reason I eat there is to get the reserve seating. Otherwise I'm sure there are better places (and cheaper) to eat in the neighborhood.

Mary

Ate there last summer (2004) -- dreadful food, cheap overpriced wine. Eat someplace else first.

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)

I haven't tried the food there but having been stuck with standing for an entire performance (and a bad standing position at that), I'd be inclined to take my chances with the food. There seem to be enough favorable remarks here to warrant that approach. The sound is fantastic and the setting intimate - the best music venue that I've yet been to in NYC.

It can't be any worse than the food at the BB King club on 42nd Street. I ordered the fruit platter that cam with "breaded deep-fried balls of brie cheese". Sure enough they were deep fried but a few days before I ordered them and arrived ice cold just like the fruit and the other cheeses on the platter :angry::rolleyes: