• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks for New Years

scase805

Can't wait for tomorrow night - going to have some friends over for dinner, drinks, then a quick train ride into Philly for fireworks over the Delaware River!

So what's everyone going to be drinking tomorrow before the clock strikes midnight? Got any fun ideas/recipes for gettin' boozy???

Cheers,

Scott

Exceptional food + wine tours of Sicily & Puglia.

Export manager: regional Italian foods

Blogging at: Getting Lost in Sicily

"At the table, you forget your troubles."

- Sicilian proverb

So what's everyone going to be drinking tomorrow before the clock strikes midnight?  Got any fun ideas/recipes for gettin' boozy???

My theme for the evening was champagne cocktails, from Dr. Cocktail's new book. We tried both a French 75 and a Seelbach, with Pommery champagne. I was much happier with the French 75--all the liquor in the Seelbach muddied the champagne flavor. We also mixed a recipe from cocktaildb.com, but I can't remember what (go figure). In any case, I think I prefer my champagne straight, rather than adulterated (although a simple Champagne cocktail with Angustora and a twist can be quite nice).

Here's my drink menu from New Year's Eve... I had to bring a portable bar (first time in 15 years I wasn't hosting my own soiree!), so I had to ensure that every ingredient I brought would go in at least 2 cocktails.

Audrey Saunders' ChamPino was the big hit of the night.

Featured Cocktails

ChamPino

champagne, sweet vermouth, Campari

Juniper and Berries

gin, cassis, apple juice, maple syrup, lemon juice

Classics

Manhattan

rye, sweet vermouth, Angostura bitters

Martini

gin, dry vermouth, orange bitters

Near-Classics

Sazerac

rye, absinthe, simple syrup, Peychaud’s bitters

Negroni

gin, sweet vermouth, Campari

French 75

gin, Cointreau, champagne, lemon juice

Forgotten Classics

Corpse Reviver #2

gin, Lillet blanc, Cointreau, absinthe, lemon juice

Pegu Club

gin, dry vermouth, lime juice, Angostura bitters, orange bitters

Tuxedo

gin, sweet vermouth, maraschino liqueur, absinthe, orange bitters

Fancy Free

rye, maraschino liqueur, Angostura bitters, orange bitters

Old Pal

rye, dry vermouth, Campari

Vesper

gin, vodka, Lillet blanc

Christopher

Here's my drink menu from New Year's Eve...  I had to bring a portable bar (first time in 15 years I wasn't hosting my own soiree!), so I had to ensure that every ingredient I brought would go in at least 2 cocktails.

Audrey Saunders' ChamPino was the big hit of the night.

Featured Cocktails

ChamPino

champagne, sweet vermouth, Campari

Juniper and Berries

gin, cassis, apple juice, maple syrup, lemon juice

Classics

Manhattan

rye, sweet vermouth, Angostura bitters

Martini

gin, dry vermouth, orange bitters

Near-Classics

Sazerac

rye, absinthe, simple syrup, Peychaud’s bitters

Negroni

gin, sweet vermouth, Campari

French 75

gin, Cointreau, champagne, lemon juice

Forgotten Classics

Corpse Reviver #2

gin, Lillet blanc, Cointreau, absinthe, lemon juice

Pegu Club

gin, dry vermouth, lime juice, Angostura bitters, orange bitters

Tuxedo

gin, sweet vermouth, maraschino liqueur, absinthe, orange bitters

Fancy Free

rye, maraschino liqueur, Angostura bitters, orange bitters

Old Pal

rye, dry vermouth, Campari

Vesper

gin, vodka, Lillet blanc

Christopher

Impressive! After the Champino, what was the favorite/most requested drink of the night? Were the guests adventurous or did they really just want a Cosmo?

KathyM

Impressive!  After the Champino, what was the favorite/most requested drink of the night?  Were the guests adventurous or did they really just want a Cosmo?

Well, there was plenty of wine, and several of the guests were a bit under the weather (and my wife is 9 months pregnant, so she was only sipping), so there wasn't any major trend.

There were a few Juniper and Berries, a few Fancy Frees, and a Pegu Club or two, and that was about it.

Thankfully, none of my friends would even consider asking for a Cosmo from me (not that it's a terrible drink (at least not when it's made well), but it's emblematic of lazy tastes). I do try to broaden their imbibing habits, hence the menu.

Christopher

Impressive!  After the Champino, what was the favorite/most requested drink of the night?  Were the guests adventurous or did they really just want a Cosmo?

Well, there was plenty of wine, and several of the guests were a bit under the weather (and my wife is 9 months pregnant, so she was only sipping), so there wasn't any major trend.

There were a few Juniper and Berries, a few Fancy Frees, and a Pegu Club or two, and that was about it.

Thankfully, none of my friends would even consider asking for a Cosmo from me (not that it's a terrible drink (at least not when it's made well), but it's emblematic of lazy tastes). I do try to broaden their imbibing habits, hence the menu.

Christopher

I have to try some of these. I really like drinks using the maraschino as well as the orange bitters. The Fancy Free might be next on my list.

KathyM