• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Anchovies in NYC?

Pork Neck

Preparing for the Christmas Eve Feast of the Seven Fishes-Where can i find FRESH anchovies in NYC?  Looking for retail, not a restaurant.

Thanks.

I assume by fresh you mean not filleted or marinated? If you are looking to buy it whole, I would suggest trying Fish Tales on Court St. in brooklyn. I think these guys have the best fish in the city, I used to shop for fish at citarella or the chelsea market fishmonger, but their quality of fish is superior by far. The reason is simple, they put an incredible amount of care in what they do, and they KNOW what they are selling.

You can special order from them if it is not available at the store, they will get you whatever you want from the market if it is in season and fresh enough. I once special ordered monkfish liver from them (difficult to find in NY), not only did they get it for me, but it was the best I ever had!!!

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

I assume by fresh you mean not filleted or marinated? If you are looking to buy it whole, I would suggest trying Fish Tales on Court St. in brooklyn. I think these guys have the best fish in the city . . .

Agreed! They're awesome. And, as you said, one of the great things about them is the owner's willingness to take requests and order things for you.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Agreed! They're awesome. And, as you said, one of the great things about them is the owner's willingness to take requests and order things for you.

I am glad there are Fish Tales aficionados out there, these guys fully deserve the praise and attention.

Pork Neck - their number is (718) 246-1346, ask for Lewis.

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

Hey, just yesterday I was at Fish Tails asking about fresh anchovies! They said they could get them but that their supplier wouldn't sell them less than 15 pounds so I'd have to buy the whole 15. So I ordered sardines instead. But if you and anyone else want to split up the 15 pounds, just let me know and I'll place an order today or Monday. I just want a few pounds.